PDA

View Full Version : camshaft sensor

sub555
26-02-07, 20:57
on the left side of the engine at the front there is a round cylinder with a plug conector on it what does this do ??? and does it need setting when being fitted ???

Brul(tm)
26-02-07, 21:00
on the left side of the engine at the front there is a round cylinder with a plug conector on it what does this do ??? and does it need setting when being fitted ???

You mean that round thing at the end of the outlet camshaft :?:
I belive this is a "phase shifter" :? Disconnect it and starting the engine is a challange :D The exact how and why I can't tell you.

Uhm wait... you said left....
nevermind :oops:

Greetings,
Marc

sub555
26-02-07, 21:02
challlenge in what way ??????

Juan AR155Q4
26-02-07, 21:03
You don't have to set anything. As you say is the camshaft sensor (also called phase sensor) and that sigal tells the ecu when is in compression stroke. As the crankshaft sensor only tells the position of the piston with no info on the phase.

Brul(tm)
26-02-07, 21:03
challlenge in what way ??????

Can't start the engine if this is disconnected. The position of the camshaft is not know to the ECU.

Greetings,
Marc

sub555
26-02-07, 21:07
sorry ment right as you look at the engine :oops: :oops: :oops:

AlfaJack
26-02-07, 21:44
Mine broke once, had to have a new one fitted, think it was £120 :(

na15575
27-02-07, 22:44
First off all i want to sorry because i cant post the images in the post.i can only make a link :oops: :oops: :oops:

The timming sensor is very inportant sensor as you see you can adjust him.
when you take it of you must put a mark

http://briefcase.pathfinder.gr/download/566844

this is who it works

http://briefcase.pathfinder.gr/download/566839

and i believe that you can adjust the avans from there

http://briefcase.pathfinder.gr/download/566837

but i dont have the ELECTRICAL=ELECTONIC diagnosis
to tell for sure.
Im looking for it because i must adjust mine to
IF some has it please... :idea:

Juan AR155Q4
28-02-07, 01:18
The one that changes timing is the one in the crankshaft, the phase sensor just tells the ecu the stroke were one cylinder is in.

na15575
28-02-07, 20:01
Juan AR155Q4
The one that changes timing is the one in the crankshaft, the phase sensor just tells the ecu the stroke were one cylinder is in.

Juan you are right
im really new in Q4 but why the timming sensor is adjustable
and the crankshaft's is not.
is it possible to fint the ELECTRICAL-ELECTRONIC DIAGNOSIS section of the manual
to find out how we can adjust the advanse time if this wrong?? :?:

Juan AR155Q4
01-03-07, 02:41
Juan you are right
im really new in Q4 but why the timming sensor is adjustable
and the crankshaft's is not.
is it possible to fint the ELECTRICAL-ELECTRONIC DIAGNOSIS section of the manual
to find out how we can adjust the advance time if this wrong?? :?:

The phase sensor is adjustable just because I doesn't mather were it is. The crankshaft sensor is not adjustable because you'll be changing ignition timing AND injection advance.

You shouldn't have wrong advance timing if everything is in place. You could change it (of course the best way) modifying the map in the ecu.

Check in the technical section of this page and you will find allmost all the Q4's manuals.