PDA

View Full Version : Water Leak

AlfaJack
25-02-07, 14:35
Car has developed a little leak when it gets to about 93C, its coming from the very back of the engine, cant really see it from above or below, I am pretty sure its where the pipe from the header tank meets the metal pipe that follows round the block - its impossible to get at with the inlet plenunm on and thats an absolute pig to get off and on again :evil:

So I want to use Bars Leaks in an attempt to cure it, I am a bit hesitant as I have already put a bottle of this almost 3 years ago -

Is it safe to use another ??

Cheers

Brul(tm)
25-02-07, 16:03
So I want to use Bars Leaks in an attempt to cure it

I don't want to use that :shock:

I think you might have a problem with the hose that is at the back of the engine, impossible to reach. The hose from the resevoir connects to this hose with a junction in it. That's a very fragile hose en very very difficult to get.

Greetings,
Marc

AlfaJack
25-02-07, 17:52
Thats the thing, I dont want to have to take the inlet off becasue from experience of putting the inlet back on the project Q4 I had , it was very VERY difficult as there is such little clearance, I know Bars Leaks isnt ideal but it has worked in the past for me after i had re-built it :? :?

155-tbo
25-02-07, 21:37
Donīt use that leak_stopper_stuff. You may have more problems with that.
The hose that leaking is maybe that little hose behind the engine. In my car that hose explodes last summer and I have to take it off. And yes it was really hard work :evil:

This was my patent repair for this damage:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h88/AutonAlfa/Alfa%20rompetta/Kuva262.jpg

Itīs not beautiful, but itīs working. Of course that explosing happend just two days before our summervacation trip :x Junction was the problem. The hose leaking, because it was old and the junction did not hold the pressure anymore.

I had to take all the parts of as you see

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h88/AutonAlfa/Alfa%20rompetta/Kuva270.jpg

But if I had to do it again. It is possible to do "blind". You have to only remove the throttlebody( donīt know is this right word? the thing where yours accelerators wire goes) and put your hand under inlet manifold. Take the hose off and replace it. I donīt know, where to get new one, but it is sure, that it wonīt be cheep. :(

Brul(tm)
25-02-07, 21:44
I replaced the hose without removing anything :shock:
But you wouldn't see how my arms looked after the repair ...

I think you have done a great job creating the work around :D
Next time i need to replace my hose, i'll be thinking of your solution :P
The original solution is quiet bad, to say it nicely ;)

Greetings,
Marc

155-tbo
25-02-07, 21:48
You have very long and tiny hands ? :lol:

AlfaJack
26-02-07, 00:55
:( I think I will have to do this properly then.....Marc, I cant for the life of me think how you did it even with the tinyest hands - I cant see a thing!

Thanks for the advice :)

Brul(tm)
26-02-07, 17:05
I cant see a thing!

I never said I could see anything...... did everything on touch.
Been busy for almost 5 hours. Removing was the easy part ;)

Greetings,
Marc

Juan AR155Q4
26-02-07, 20:25
Taking out the first part of the intake manifold is not difficult. Once you did it, it would be easier in the future.
I've taken out a couple of times, now 1 hr I can take it out and put it back.
Give it a try!

j1v
26-02-07, 20:42
I will never again do that operation in my life. I will make someone I hate very much to do it :-D

The next time I take the intake plenum off will be to replace it with an integale intake

AlfaJack
26-02-07, 21:38
Taking out the first part of the intake manifold is not difficult. Once you did it, it would be easier in the future.
Give it a try!

Do I split it at the rubber parts and leave the other bit that contains the injectors in place?

If I remember correctly they are held together underneath some sort of metal strap? I should have a closer look at the parts CD

Juan AR155Q4
26-02-07, 22:42
Give it a try!

Do I split it at the rubber parts and leave the other bit that contains the injectors in place?

If I remember correctly they are held together underneath some sort of metal strap? I should have a closer look at the parts CD

Yes, you have to split at rubber parts. Also you have to disconnect the ignition coils, disconect the fuel pressure regulator and throttle body cable. All little vacumm/pressure hoses too.

The only difficult thing is unscrew the metal straps (that's the name I think, the ones that tights the rubber parts. But you just need something to hold them while you unscrew.

AlfaJack
22-03-07, 12:03
I have had the work done now and yes it was the pipe above that 155-tbo posted.

It was replaced like the one you had made up as you cant buy it from Alfa.

All was well, then one week later when I went to the Alfa dealer to collect a new part, in the car park as I was leaving the other pipe from the header tank in to the system exploded and dumped all the water :cry:

Thankfully this was fixed as part of the warranty from the previous job :)

Also this pipe from the header tank is not available so we used some strong heater hose and directed it a different route around the back of the engine :)[/i]

wrinx
10-11-07, 23:45
For future reference, remove the throttle body housing and access is ok...so long as you dislocate your elbow and don't mind a few bruises :rolleyes:

Brul, not removing anything....I have no idea how you managed it!

wrinx

AJ
11-11-07, 11:03
This is what I've narrowed down my water leak to on the 16vt in the 145. I had a quick peek at it yesterday and I reckon it might be possible to get at it from underneath. Initially I had hoped it was the heater hoses leaking/not sealing but unfortunately not. I don't have the transfer box you guys have so it should be possible, I hope.

Juan AR155Q4
26-06-08, 03:44
My hose is starting to leak, so I want to make the "home made replacement", do someone have the tube's diameter needed?
I just want to have the replacement ready so I just removed the intake manifold once.

arjunior45
27-06-08, 13:47
My hose is starting to leak, so I want to make the "home made replacement", do someone have the tube's diameter needed?
I just want to have the replacement ready so I just removed the intake manifold once.

unfortunately, I did not kept the diameters. ebay Item number : 330247459483 might interest you. Tubes and welding costed me more than this one.

Nick

Juan AR155Q4
27-06-08, 15:16
Thanks Nick!!! but I?d have 0 cost, as I?ll do it in the shop where I work.
Seems nobody has kept the dimensions of the modification, so I?ll have to mesaure first and then put it.