PDA

View Full Version : Weight reduction

j1v
10-02-07, 22:15
OK guys, we all now our cars are heavy.

What are the options to save weight in a q4 ?
I'm starting with seats, exhaust, OZ Superleggerra wheels, and Porsche aluminum calipers.

What would you do next ...

I do also prefer saving weight in the front, and that's why I'm relocating the battery in the trunk.

serge
11-02-07, 10:55
well it depends what you have in mind with your car
for a trackday-car i would take out the whole interieur, replace the glass windows with lexan ones. and free the whole car from that under-body-tarmac-coating (sorry don't know the proper word in english).
then strap out the AC, soundsystem etc. and leave only the parts you really need to drive.
in the end it depends on how much you want to spend (money) and how much you are willing to sacrifice (comfort), because if you really want to notice an effect of the weight saving, then a few kg less won't be enough.

Jarkko
12-02-07, 21:06
use smaller battery, you will save about 8- 10kg, remove the spearwheel ( 12,3kg in fiat coupe ) all the tools etc ( 3,8kg in fiat.. ) all that give you 24,1kg - 26,1kg less weight . remember using carbon seats ( less than 6kg/ seat ) carbon bonnet - 50% at least ( -8kg about then ) :wink:

q4fatboy
19-02-07, 06:04
This where I will be focssing my effort now, have started to discuss options. I am going to get the car weighed as it currently stands and then start. Seats and the bottom half of the dash will be the starting point. This work will be done over the year.

markgq4
23-02-07, 10:50
its worth the effort :D

if you can chuck out over 120kg there is a very noticeable difference

mind you, what youre left with isnt to everyones taste....

ask alfajack :lol:

AlfaJack
23-02-07, 11:35
ask alfajack :lol:

lol - it doesnt look a comfy ride in the back of marks car!!! :shock: :lol:

djsly
23-02-07, 12:03
don't know how much you'll save with lexan glass. It is heavy. But pleksi is much lighter then glass or lexan. but it's also not so strong when comes to crash. And plexi is less resistant to scratches then lexan.

all the isolation under the seats weights around 15kg at least. ;)

05-03-07, 16:34
There is a -93 Q4 running in the Swedish Club Alfa Romeo Corsa racing series and if I remember it right the owner claims a weight saving of about 140 kg when stripping the car, not using leightweight materials and fitting a rollcage.