PDA

View Full Version : fan problem

RaphQ4
01-01-07, 16:33
hello!

i've got a problem with my fan. It seems that my fan is working only on the second speed (95 deg).

when the clima is working I can hear the two differents fan speed, it means that the fan is properly connected.

Any idea?

bye, Raph.

AlfaJack
01-01-07, 22:54
hello!

i've got a problem with my fan. It seems that my fan is working only on the second speed (95 deg).

when the clima is working I can hear the two differents fan speed, it means that the fan is properly connected.

Any idea?

bye, Raph.

I understand the fan should only work on one speed when the clima is off and two when it is on - is this what yours is doing?

Wolf66
01-01-07, 22:57
First speed should operate between 87 an 92 deg and second from 93 upwards. I had similar problem. The cause was dodgy conector between thermoswitch and fan.

AlfaJack
01-01-07, 23:17
I think mine could be at fault too then because the fan doesnt cut in until its a bit hotter than i like :?

RaphQ4
02-01-07, 17:40
Actually, when my clim is on my fan works good (with the 2 fan speed).

but when the clima is off, my fan is only working in the second fan speef.

My first fan speed never works when my clima is off.

So the engine temp. is between 92 and 95 when my fan is working (not so good on the summer traffic jam...)

Raph

Wolf66
02-01-07, 17:59
When the clima is on, the fan is controlled by both, thermo-pressure switch which is located on the one of the clima hoses and by thermo switch on the radiator. When clima is off, then fan is controlled only by thermoswitch on the radiator. That is why both speeds works, when clima is on (first speed is controlled by clima thermo pressure switch. If the first speed is on more than 10 seconds, then 2nd speed is activated) and first speed doesn't work, when clima is off (thermoswitch on the radiator doesn't turn the first speed on).

RaphQ4
02-01-07, 18:57
ok, thank you!

I will check is there isn't a probleme on the thermoswitch connector...

Raph.

TangoQ4
01-12-08, 18:48
Hi,

Sorry to bring this thread back to life… but today I’ve experienced a certain problem with the electric fan that might be related to this, but doesn’t fit exactly with the same symptoms that you described.

What happens in my case is the following: once the fan cuts in, it doesn’t turn off unless I perform one of these actions: 1) remove the relay next to the cooling engine fluid reservoir, 2) remove the 30A fuse located at the same place, 3) remove the 30A fuse next to the 50A fuse on the right of the engine bay (close to the ABS) or 4) remove the 7.5A fuse located at the fuse box which is to the left of the steering wheel. The rare thing (at least for me) is that once I remove either of all this four things causing the electric fan to stop, it doesn’t turn on again if I put the fuse/relay back in its place again, as I would have imagined it would do if it was a thermoswitch connector problem… am I right?

Any ideas as of where to begin searching?

Steve Webb
01-12-08, 18:56
Sounds to me like its a relay that once energised won't release. Not sure which relay it is, but it could be one in the small fusebox that is mounted just behind the radiator.

wrinx
01-12-08, 21:07
Yup, I'd go for the sticking relay too....you might be able to fetch the plastic cover off and find an obvious fault, otherwise replace.

Can it be substituted with another in the car to test it's faulty?

wrinx

wrinx
01-12-08, 21:19
Forgot..the slam panel black box contains a delay device for the Q4 fan(?), there is also a relay in the auxiliary fusebox.

wrinx

TangoQ4
02-12-08, 10:42
Hi guys! thanks for your fast answers!

At first, I thought it might be a relay... but once I read about the thermoswitch connector problem, I wasn't that sure. Anyway, it's just a matter of having the time (and spares) to have a look.

In the mean time, I was only able to check the fuses and they were OK (except for the 30A fuse next to the 50A fuse on the right of the engine bay... it was MELTED! So I replaced it and thought the problem was solved... but it wasn't). I also checked the relay at the fuse box to the left of the steering wheel, replaced it with a new one but didn't solve the problem either.

Wrinx, you are right. There is a relay that works as a delay device at the fuse box close to the cooling fluid reservoir... that relay has given me some headaches in the past, due to the fact that the plastic cover of that box is missing, and the heat there might be too much for it... I'll try to get a replacement for it a let you know the result.

Thanks for your help!!

Juan AR155Q4
02-12-08, 17:37
Hi Tango!! :)
I had the exactly same problem and was solved changing the thermoswitch located in the radiator. Also I changed with one from Fiat that works in a lower temperature. Now never goes over 90s.

arjunior45
04-12-08, 19:08
Hi Tango!! :)
I had the exactly same problem and was solved changing the thermoswitch located in the radiator. Also I changed with one from Fiat that works in a lower temperature. Now never goes over 90s.

which FIAT was that? does this one give two speeds too?
I'm having always +95 degrees and I'm going to mount a second fan in front of air-con radiator as soon as possible.

Nick

Juan AR155Q4
04-12-08, 19:15
It was two speed and almost sure it was from some Fiat Tipo. They are all the same diameter and thread. And they have printed the temperature of opening/close for boths speeds.

wrinx
04-12-08, 19:56
I'm having always +95 degrees and I'm going to mount a second fan in front of air-con radiator as soon as possible.

Nick

How old is the radiator?

wrinx

na15575
04-12-08, 23:12
hi
I know that the Q4 not have the fuction with the 10 sec delay as the twin spark has
the time relay that is placed at the fuse box close to the cooling fluid reservoir is only working for the clima
if you make a wire like the red line then you are going to have the 10sec delay effect to the Q4
that mean :when the thermostat switch for 1 speed is closed for over 10sec then automaticaly the 2speed is going to start

Iuse to have 95+ and 100+ sometimes with new radiator and everything else.then i put a thermoswitch from fiat tipo clima (3wires)
and i made a little circuit to have the 2speed active after 10 sec from the 1speed
now i run 90-

arjunior45
06-12-08, 09:43
How old is the radiator?

wrinx

not more than 2 years old and the hole system is clean. radiator fan is new too.

I certainly I'm going to make the mod mentioned by na15575 - thanks Nick - and to mount the second fan {in front of the air-con radiator} as well. Need to find the spare time first.

Nick

arjunior45
06-12-08, 09:46
hi
I know that the Q4 not have the fuction with the 10 sec delay as the twin spark has
the time relay that is placed at the fuse box close to the cooling fluid reservoir is only working for the clima
if you make a wire like the red line then you are going to have the 10sec delay effect to the Q4
that mean :when the thermostat switch for 1 speed is closed for over 10sec then automaticaly the 2speed is going to start

Iuse to have 95+ and 100+ sometimes with new radiator and everything else.then i put a thermoswitch from fiat tipo clima (3wires)
and i made a little circuit to have the 2speed active after 10 sec from the 1speed
now i run 90-

thanks Nick.
how was the event at Serres? any photo in another post maybe? like to see your car!

Nick

na15575
06-12-08, 18:52
you are not going to need the secont fan exept for spare one
my car is need paint work from outside

wrinx
06-12-08, 20:13
...or just fit a switch to control the fan :D

wrinx

arjunior45
07-12-08, 11:00
...or just fit a switch to control the fan :D

wrinx

I read all about the fan switch of yours in the other forum but I think the 'option' mentioned by na15575 is the same {almost} and there will be no need to ... remember to use the switch!!!
My wife will never use any switch in any case and Q4 is her car.

Nick

arjunior45
07-12-08, 11:05
you are not going to need the secont fan exept for spare one
my car is need paint work from outside

we use the 'second' fan in several cars {es 75 2.0 ts, 75 1.8 turbo} and we have - 7 degrees at least versus single fan, in Athens traffic in the summer. So, I'll stick to the second fan too.

Nick

na15575
07-12-08, 20:37
ok i understed the reason (Athens traffic in the summer)
i finaly find this maybe you are going to need it

this is for the Q4

na15575
07-12-08, 20:42
and this is the tipo

http://forum.berlinasportivo.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=491&stc=1&d=1228682409

and this is the tipo

arjunior45
09-12-08, 15:36
and this is the tipo

http://forum.berlinasportivo.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=491&stc=1&d=1228682409

and this is the tipo

thanks for the part number Nick. I'll go for the tipo one.

Nick