PDA

View Full Version : What suspension?

Steve Webb
09-12-06, 09:48
Just taken a good look under the car whilst its up on ramps at the local garage, and the rear axle area is pretty bad in terms of surface rust etc. So it looks like I'll be doing some rust treatment in the near future. Whilst I'm at it i'll finally get round to sorting out the suspension.

Eibach's are like hens teeth, so what other sorts of springs do people use, and how do you rate them?

And what about dampers? From what I can tell, the ones on the car are the original ones, so really ought to be changed now. Can anyone recommend some good ones?

Steve

Brul(tm)
09-12-06, 12:02
I can only say that i'm very happy with my yellow Koni's front + rear, combined with lowering springs from Intrax. It all depents on what kind of result you want ;)

My setup for instance is very very hard/stiff.
So what are you aiming at?

Greetings,
Marc

Steve Webb
10-12-06, 08:02
I have heard that Koni's are pretty harsh, but the car is only going to be used for fun so thats not a problem.
I am more worried about lowering the car any more, as the exhaust is already pretty exposed, however this might be because the springs that are on there now have sagged.

Steve

markgq4
11-12-06, 14:34
have always had yellow adj Koni`s and eibach springs,
they dont lower the car by a lot, perhaps 20/25mm maximum.
The ride is a bit firmer but not anywhere near undrivable

and i am sure you can remember what english roads are like... :roll:

Steve Webb
11-12-06, 20:25
Alright, so it looks like Koni's, but which springs? Eibachs are looking a very remote possibility, so whats next best?

sub555
12-12-06, 19:09
can you still get eibach springs for the Q4? if so where from

Steve Webb
12-12-06, 19:12
can you still get eibach springs for the Q4? if so where from

I was in contact with the Eibach importers earlier in the year, they don't make the springs any more, and none of their dealers have any left, and they won't do a short run of them, so no, they aren't available any more, unless you can find a set on ebay that was forgotten at the back of a shop somewhere.

I'm resigned to using another brand of springs now.

sub555
12-12-06, 19:28
that makes me feel a bit better then i had eibachs on my old twinny but now im goin to try apex on the Q4

OpaNkaR
12-12-06, 23:37
I think H&R springs are just as good as Eibach.

Steve Webb
13-12-06, 08:05
Been nosing around for my new suspension, and it seems to be abit confusing, some manufacturers specifically quote the Q4, whilst others just quote all 4 cylinder cars or all 6 cylinder cars. And then for Koni they quote shocks for the 2.5V6 and 2.5 TD (both 6cylinder cars) the same as the Q4.

So when people have bought suspension stuff, have they gone for 6 cylinder stuff or 4 cylinder stuff when the Q4 hasn't been quoted?

Steve Webb
13-12-06, 14:49
I think H&R springs are just as good as Eibach.

Just had this back from H&R UK

To: <steve>
Subject: RE: Enquiry from HR Suspension Website: Spring kit - Alfa 155 Q4 (Can you please tell )

Hi Steve,
Our Alfa 155 spring kits only fit the 2 wheel drive cars
unfortunately. Sorry i cannot help you further.

Which springs are you using OpaNkaR?

Brul(tm)
13-12-06, 22:17
Steve,

Take a look at the website of Intrax Racing, maybe they have something that is of you're interest?
:arrow: http://www.intrax-suspension.eu/?lang=EN

Greetings,
Marc

Steve Webb
14-12-06, 09:25
Yep its all very interesting, however I get the feeling (remote nitrogen resevoirs etc) it will be pretty expensive.

markgq4
18-12-06, 20:17
hi steve,
if the q4 items werent available, i would go for v6 parts as they will be designed for a nose heavy car of similiar weight and (std) bhp..
whereas the fourpot cars are down on both counts...
:)

Q4STHLM
30-12-06, 08:31
Question:

Any known side effects when using lower/stiffer springs along with the stock electric dampers?

Rgs, Anders

Steve Webb
30-12-06, 11:25
Hi Anders, If i remember correctly, in one of the magazine articles the road tester said the standard handling was not as good as it could be because the springs were too soft and the dampers too firm. So I would say that the standard dampers would actually work better with stiffer springs.
Not sure what difference the springs being lower would have though.

Steve

Steve Webb
30-12-06, 11:30
Steve,

Take a look at the website of Intrax Racing, maybe they have something that is of you're interest?
:arrow: http://www.intrax-suspension.eu/?lang=EN

Greetings,
Marc

Hi Marc,

I've emailed Intrax to see what they can offer for the Q4. Just out of interest were your Intrax springs very expensive?

Steve

cuore_sportivo_155
30-12-06, 12:52
Koni has stopped production of the yellow dampers for the 155 a few days ago. They're apparently still available on Ebay, but god knows for how long.

If you want some, don't hesitate, would be my advice...

Cheers,
Cuore_Sportivo_155

Brul(tm)
30-12-06, 13:29
Just out of interest were your Intrax springs very expensive?

Nope, but i don't remember the exact amount. If I have to guess i'd say is was around the €160,= for the whole set (whit a discount through a friend). Keep in mind that this set lowers the car 50 mm which is extreme, especially for the rear side. You could get in trouble with speed bumps, bad roads etc.

Intrax has also a whole adjustable set, RS something :? With this set je can adjust almost everything, the height of the car, the camber of the wheels, etc. This set wasn't cheap, i thought around the €1800,= for the set only. Downside is that you need to do a serries of changes on the car before it could fit (somthing special with the wish bones). I am not sure if this set is still available, it was a couple of years ago when i had a demonstration of this set :? I know someone with this set and he is very pleased with it. His car behaves like a go kart on the road 8)

Greetings,
Marc

Brul(tm)
30-12-06, 13:32
Any known side effects when using lower/stiffer springs along with the stock electric dampers?

I don't know the anwser, but I shall ask a friend. He has also the electronic dampers, not sure if he lowered his car.

Greetings,
Marc

AlfaJack
30-12-06, 17:20
Question:

Rgs, Anders

Iv had mine on for 2 1/2 years, no issues :)

Brul(tm)
30-12-06, 18:56
no issues :)

That's what my friend also said. Only he didn't use the sport setting that much anymore. He finds it to stiff with the 50 mm lowering springs.

Greetings,
Marc

Q4STHLM
30-12-06, 20:11
Iv had mine on for 2 1/2 years, no issues :)

That is good news as I'd like to (or need to) buy a kit but don't want to replace more stuff at the moment.

Btw, I found a set of COBRA springs for ALFA 155 Q4 (2,0 TURBO 4WD) 92- 167/Q4 50/40 at a local shop.

What do You know about them?
http://realcar.e-line.nu/e-line/images/prod250/cobrasusp.jpg

Steve Webb
30-12-06, 20:45
I've spotted the Cobra springs as well. The only thing that worries me is that being 50mm lower they should only really be used with shorter dampers, so that they don't shift on their mountings when the suspension is at full droop.

They seem similar to the Spax springs though Spax (http://www.needforspeed.co.uk/pages/sbv_pl.asp?Vehicle=AR15501&PartType=SUS10)

markgq4
03-01-07, 20:05
as a general rule if you fit shorter springs to std shocks it will shorten their life

Steve Webb
16-01-07, 08:35
Got a reply from Intrax, sounds very interesting, I might actually go for it after I get a few other things sorted out.

Yes we have the requested items in our programm.

The Q4 is a little different but we can make it.

Top mounts we have in stock.

Pricing for the RSA type front shocks including springs is � 1300,-- / set.

Topmounts are � 125,-- each.

See for our website at page http://www.intraxracing.nl/?cat=productpage&id=417 for more information.

The dampers will be the steel monotube pressurised version.

Delivery time 2 > 3 weeks after order.

AlfaJack
16-01-07, 10:04
Looks and sounds good!

Brul(tm)
16-01-07, 16:34
sounds very interesting

Told you so ;) I am also thinking to change to the set from Intrax.
Like you, i also need to sort a few things out. Also i want to go for the full set, including the adjusteble top mount plates (front side).

Greetings,
Marc

Steve Webb
19-01-07, 09:02
Looks like Apex do a set of springs for the Q4. Anyone here got a set fitted?

Apex Springs (http://www.l4leather.com/product_info.php?cPath=74_93_245&products_id=656)

http://www.l4leather.com/images/Apex.jpg

Steve

djsly
19-01-07, 10:04
I had apex on my renault 5 and Clio RS. they were ok, even better than OEm springs.

but if you want a good handling on track you must modify suspensions first.

If you change only spring, your car may be lower and stifer, more responsive but to get the best of handling, you must also have good suspensions.

markgq4
05-02-07, 21:38
Steve,
was just going thro my old bookmarks and found these people are still listing eibachs for Q4, might be worth an e-mail if youre still searching mate :)

http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=32215