PDA

View Full Version : Loud Q4?

Q4STHLM
21-09-06, 19:16
Do you find your Q4's loud inside?

I mean, after an hour or two in mine, my head's completely messed up because of the noise.

When cuising at 110-120km/h (on 5:th) and pushing the throttle a bit the engine noise is far too loud.
Compared to what I drive normally, (which isn't a fair comparison as that one's only a year and a half old) the sound level is that high that I can't stand it.
Compared to an -86 2,5 Milano it's like a B-52...

PLEASE tell me that it shouldn't be like this.
PLEASE tell me that there is a better solution than selling it.

-AD :cry:

AlfaJack
21-09-06, 23:15
Surely it must be the exhaust, is it an aftermarket one, maybe the baffels have fallen out, it should not be that bad, especially as turbo cars are quieter than na engines :D

Q4STHLM
22-09-06, 16:26
Yes, I thought so too...that's why it's so strange.

Exhaust is stock (twin-cat) apart from the manifold (SS) and removed mid-silencer. (It doesn't sound like the "usual" exhaust-tip sound, but it may still be the cause)

Perhaps its a mismatch somewhere...that I need to replace the rest of the system?! (which I intend to do as soon as my wallet allows me :? )

What about engine and gearbox mounts? Can a worn bush be the cause?
(Of course they can...but is it common?)

I haven't owned it for that long, but I think that it was that noisy even before my mods.

q4fatboy
07-10-06, 08:12
Mine is the other way round, I am surprised at how quiet it is. Apart from the dump valve and the induction noise through the cone filter it is almost silent.

Q4STHLM
08-10-06, 15:10
Great! That means that there's still hope.
Thank you!

Any suggestions are most welcome.

11-10-06, 20:04
With the mid-silencer removed some resonances might occur. However you can always listen to mine and hear if there are any differences. I have only two full flow silencers and it is quite ok except for 2500 rpm.

/A

070-712 53 46

Brul(tm)
11-10-06, 22:36
When i bought my Q in 2002, the original exhaust system was installed and the car was very silent :(
In march 2003 i replaced the first two silencers with a 3"pipe an a small rear silencer. I also had the heat shields from the catlic converters removed.... they made an irritating resonance sound when driving around.
I now have a nice dark, deep sound, which of course is much louder than the original setup. Butt that was my goal 8) I'am very happy with the result and hadn't any complaints from the law.... yet :roll:

Greetings,
Marc

Q4STHLM
29-10-06, 07:31
OK.
the more I think of it, the more I get convinced that it must be some kind of resonance.
As I mentioned above, the previous owner only replaced half the system, keeping the two cats and then a straight 2,5" pipe w a single aftermarket silencer. I'm not sure that's a great idea ( I did a similar thing on a Triumph 2000 a long time ago...)

Thank you all for the input, I have now something to work for. http://deephousepage.com/smilies/thumb.gif

But first I have a really fun job .... NOT...
My clutch's gone....

Cheers!

Negative Creep
30-10-06, 13:39
mine's an aftermarket system but if anything it's too quiet for me. But then I do like em loud!

pavs
30-10-06, 18:10
Just had the flexi's replaced on the down pipe and it's really quiet