PDA

View Full Version : Switchable chip / emissions testing

Steve Webb
06-06-06, 19:44
Ok, here is something that just popped into my head, there was talk on the old forum about switchable chips with different maps on them, and the age old problem of getting your car through the MOT / CT / whatever with the Cat missing.
Do you think its possible to have a switchable chip with one map being purely for emissions testing. A super lean mode, not suitable for road use. Then you could drive to the testing station with the normal map, change to the testing map whilst the car has the test probe up the exhaust, then swich back to normal mode before you drive away.

Just a thought, but it could solve a problem or two.

Steve

AlfaJack
06-06-06, 20:29
I would happily pay for such a thing, also could quickly switch it if pulled over by the cops for an emissions test :shock: :shock:

06-06-06, 22:28
I understand your concern, but honestly have any one of th eQ4 owners actly had a problem getting the car through the MOT because of chip/turbo/exhaust modifications?

I have passed the MOT with EVOCARS chip, and recently with a totally different turbo and HF Alex chip w/o any adaptions. I think this last test result was the best ever!

As long as you don't change compression and camshafts and don't screw up the chip totally in the low rev / low load region I would say that the risk to not pass is minimal.

In sweden lambda, HC and CO are checked at idle. At 2500 rpm the CO is checked again.

/A

AlfaJack
06-06-06, 23:20
I understand your concern, but honestly have any one of th eQ4 owners actly had a problem getting the car through the MOT because of chip/turbo/exhaust modifications?

I have passed the MOT with EVOCARS chip, and recently with a totally different turbo and HF Alex chip w/o any adaptions. I think this last test result was the best ever!

As long as you don't change compression and camshafts and don't screw up the chip totally in the low rev / low load region I would say that the risk to not pass is minimal.

In sweden lambda, HC and CO are checked at idle. At 2500 rpm the CO is checked again.

/A

This year I have had problems which look to be caused by the lambda, it would just be nice to not have to put the CATs on then off again each year - just a lazy way :oops:

07-06-06, 08:16
I see. Well, if it is possible to make it without cat and if there is no check of lambda (which would probably exceed 1.03 - which is the limit in Sweden) then I get the point with this ultra-lean setting.