PDA

View Full Version : Integrale Manifold swap.

Steve Webb
27-09-17, 19:32
Hi everyone,

The day when I get to pick up the Q4 is getting closer, one of the little projects that I want to do when I get the car back is to swap over to the Integrale manifold that I picked up a few years back.

One of the things that needs to be changed is the location of the coil packs. As we all know there isn't much room under the bonnet, so I don't fancy moving the coil packs to the side of the engine bay then running long plug leads. What I'd rather do is run a coil on plug system. Now I've seen a Q4 recently with this setup, but can't for the life of me remember where.

So does anyone have experience of running coil on plug? Any advice, or better still, any recommendation of parts?

Cheers

27-09-17, 20:50
I have a vague memory of someone using the VW COP's, but cannot find the thread either.

Anyhow, why do you want to switch to the Integrale manifold? The only reason I can see is for maximum top end power, while the Q4 manifold provides better mid/low end torque, which you normally don't have too much of in that car.

Steve Webb
27-09-17, 21:47
The Q4 manifold might have good midrange torque, but when I had the car on the rolling road top end power dropped off early, very early. I'm hoping the switch to an Integrale manifold would improve top end without loosing too much in the middle. When it was running properly it had 320 lbs/ft of torque, so can afford to trade some off for top end.

I've sent a technical enquiry to NGK to see if they have a COP alternative to the standard coil packs.

Steve Webb
28-09-17, 15:53
Big thumbs up to NGK technical dept for getting back to me in less than 24hrs, they seem to think most COP units would supply enough spark, the problem, and reason why they can't suggest a direct replacement, is the physical size of the units.
I don't have my Q4 with me at the moment, so does anyone have the dimensions of the plug connectors that sit on the spark plugs? Length and diameter would be great.

Cheers once again.

AlfaJack
29-09-17, 09:23
If I get in the garage over the weekend I'll try and get the dimensions and the intake pics (as promised for #84 last weekend!).

Steve Webb
29-09-17, 09:33
No worries Jack, I'm in no rush, I checked last night, and as of tomorrow it will be exactly 1 year that the car has been with the garage. Not worked on all that time obviously, but still a long time in there!!!

AlfaJack
10-10-17, 17:33
Finally got in the garage for 5 mins today...here are the dimensions:

Steve Webb
11-10-17, 11:07
Cheers again Jack, great pics, I've spoken to someone who has done the COP conversion and have got an idea of what to use. Amazingly price wise, not much more expensive than replacing the coil packs, especially not if you take into account new plug leads. The only extra will be finding a way to drive then, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

abarth 22
14-10-17, 07:00
I think first foto is from forum member:

kunev
17-10-17, 09:19
I remember, that have read about coil on plug conversion in this forum and I managed to find one thread about it -> link (http://forum.berlinasportivo.com/showthread.php?1401-what-do-you-think-of-this)

Steve Webb
17-10-17, 10:58
Cheers kunev , I must have missed that thread first time around, looks like all the info I need is in there.

Thanks