PDA

View Full Version : PS pump removal - something still whistling!!

the wombat
16-03-14, 17:22
Any thoughts on a quick and 'easy' way to remove the PS pump?

I still have the whistling noise that I think is associated with the steering, but to be honest, it is so loud it is really difficult to trace.

Will be dropping some belts off at Easter to see if I can isolate the whistle, but the PS system is still top suspect.

Any thoughts on the overall situation and the PS pump removal appreciated.

AlfaJack
16-03-14, 22:07
How quick can you get the inlet manifold off? Access is pretty easy after that.

the wombat
17-03-14, 17:55
That's a good point m8y. If I take the PS belt off and the whistle disappears, I think that inlet manifold off will be the way to go.

Speedy has flagged a few things to check first, including possible issues with the high pressure pipe being kinked.

AlfaJack
17-03-14, 22:30
That's a good point m8y. If I take the PS belt off and the whistle disappears, I think that inlet manifold off will be the way to go.

Speedy has flagged a few things to check first, including possible issues with the high pressure pipe being kinked.

That's an interesting one!
The pump on mine rattled (rather than whistled) like mad before I finally treated it to a new one.

You probably know this but assuming your in an AC car the PS pump is driven off the AC pump - access is very tight for getting at belts.

the wombat
18-03-14, 19:18
Yep, A/C car but with the condenser missing. I reckon I will either remove the A/C pump and reposition the PS pump, or get it working again. It was a bit warm inside it last year!!

Speedy
19-03-14, 21:22
You definately need the inlet manifold off to get at it .....................