PDA

View Full Version : What cars did you lust after?

Steve Webb
22-05-13, 17:12
This thought popped into my head whilst driving home this evening. I was following an old Peugeot 505 and thought to myself ' I used to really like the 505 V6'

I think it all started off with the Talbot Avenger Tiger (The chap a few doors down from my parents had one) went on to the Talbot Sunbeam Lotus, lusted after the one in the Talbot garage owned by a mate of my dads. I even looked at owning a Sunbeam 1.6 ti once.

After that I moved onto the 505 V6, then :unsure: for some strange reason I hankered after a Renault 19 16v for a while. But luckily I never scratched that itch and bought my first 155 instead.

So what cars did you lust after when you were sat in the back of your parents car? (no child seat or seatbelts cos I'm a 1970's child and they made us tough back then.)

Varypodaros
23-05-13, 21:28
first love: Honda CRX.
really liked the BMW E21 and AR 75 (still do).

Steve Webb
23-05-13, 21:43
first love: Honda CRX.

Varypodaros The running shoe one? I always liked them too, although Japanese cars do tend to leave me cold.

mpampis_
24-05-13, 04:47
Well my first love was honda s2000. Now i wonder what did i like from this car but when i was younger i did like it. My biggest love is giulia gtam and also 75. My plans are to make next year an 75 with imsa bodykit and monster engine :)

Alfa Patch
25-05-13, 18:48
Opel Mantas. Had a huge thing for them as a kid. I'd still quite like one thinking about it now!

the wombat
25-05-13, 20:08
Always lusted after 2 cars:
- Rover P6 V8
-Reliant Scimitar convertible

I am still looking at Rover P6s, and reckon if the right one came along, I might have a long hard think (but, tbh, would not buy one as just not enough time and room for a long long time)

Ended up owning a Reliant Scimitar SE5a and had it for about 10 years. Had a lot of fun in it and really enjoyed it. Fibreglass not my thing any more though!!

Steve Webb
25-05-13, 20:16
Opel Mantas. Had a huge thing for them as a kid. I'd still quite like one thinking about it now!

Good call on the Manta, I remember being really impressed when we visited the family and my uncle had a bright red Manta GT. A bit less impressed when he took me out in it, and very unimpressed when we stopped, he pulled the key out and the engine rattled and farted on its own for 30 seconds before it finally died.

I always loved the coupe ones rather than the hatchbacks. Oh and that reminds me, what about wafting about in a 3.0L Monza? :cloud-9-039:

wrinx
25-05-13, 22:03

I had a 1.8 GTj....loved it, until it was written off after being rear ended :roll:

wrinx

Steve Webb
26-05-13, 06:19
I've always wondered about that badge, the GTj.

What does the j stand for? Or is it just a case of like a GTi but one better?

wrinx
26-05-13, 10:34
I *think* it meant Junior (little 1.8 engine rather than the 2.0) but it was so long ago I'm not sure now!

wrinx

Finn
26-05-13, 18:27
My first car was a -74 Manta :) I had it painted bright yellow and it had black vinyl top and tinted windows. Lovely motor :)

But I've always wanted a Lancia Flaminia Pininfarina coupe...

Alfa Patch
26-05-13, 18:45
what about wafting about in a 3.0L Monza? :cloud-9-039:

Yes! I actually had a big thing for all those Opels. And asconas, they are fantastic looking race cars.

Pretty jealous of wrinx, I nearly had a gold coupe a decade ago but i could never have insured it.

Patch

Steve Webb
26-05-13, 18:51
Blimey, you'll all be asking for a Vauxhall/Opel forum soon.

Still I suppose its better than you all having Capris.

wrinx
26-05-13, 19:24
YI nearly had a gold coupe a decade ago but i could never have insured it.

Mine was a red hatch, owned it around 20-22 years ago now!!!

I did have a bit of a Vauxhall thing going on for a few years....lusted after an SRi 130 and very nearly bought a mark 1 GTE with Irmscher twin headlight conversion ...Vauxhall's version of the Integrale :lol:

wrinx

markgq4
27-05-13, 15:01
hahaha all this talk of vauxhalls ... i have a guilty secret ...

AlfaJack
27-05-13, 16:24

:wah:

wrinx
27-05-13, 18:24
Aww come on, there was no need for that! :cry::lipsrsealed::eek::banned:

wrinx

Steve Webb
27-05-13, 18:43

I didn't know you were a hairdresser Mark!

:lipsrsealed:

markgq4
27-05-13, 19:38
ahhhh you lot are just soooo mean !!! lol

you prob wont like this i had last year either then c/w the obligatory massive rear spoiler ........... :p

AlfaJack
27-05-13, 21:27
That would be a minor improvement - minor.

Varypodaros
30-05-13, 10:46
Varypodaros The running shoe one? I always liked them too, although Japanese cars do tend to leave me cold.

do you mean targa? no, not them. I'm talking about the second generation, this one:
http://www.sicivic.com/wp-content/gallery/crx/honda_crx_hf_white_1988_2.jpg

did I mention that I liked punto MK2 too? :D

Steve Webb
30-05-13, 17:54
Thats the one, it kinda looks like a trainer\sneaker\running shoe from the side.

The Mk2 Punto is a good looking car as well, especially in rally trim. Never seemed to be all that popular though.

http://www.italiaauto.net/files/punto_rally_103.jpg

vantastic
31-05-13, 01:22
ahhhh you lot are just soooo mean !!! lol

you prob wont like this i had last year either then c/w the obligatory massive rear spoiler ........... :p

scoobs rock:thumbsup:

I wanted a capri when I was young

markgq4
02-06-13, 16:34
scoobs rock:thumbsup:

haha. they are much better than their very low-rent image suggests
... brilliant flat 4 noise too, and cheap as chips

dont have the torque of the Q4 tho

and yeh, mk2 puntos are great little cars handle brilliantly, proper roundabout terrorristas.

ken155
21-07-13, 22:48
I loved the mk1 capri 3litre, but I loved the scimitar gte as well 'cos my dad had one of the first ones made with the same engine, so grew up with v6's in my blood, also the obvious ones like ferrari 308 gtb and Lambo Countach, and the Maserati Merak.

Nothing like aiming high :lol::lol: