PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket knock sensing systems

corriedw
10-04-13, 05:39
Can you please tell my what aftermarket knock sensing equipment is available?

I am looking for something to bolt to the engine, what will warn my when knocking start. One was mentioned in a thread but I did not make a note and now I can't find it.

SteveNZ
11-04-13, 03:39
Knock Link

http://www.knocklink.com/

corriedw
11-04-13, 04:29
Thanks Steve

mpampis_
11-04-13, 11:43
This is very nice. The only i knew was the phormula device that is very expensive. Has anyone test this?

corriedw
11-04-13, 14:26
Yes I agree Mpampis, this looks great for what we want to do. I really want to get the maximum safe timing advance before knock. It can help set the map up for a spesific fuel. I did not Plan to drive with the KnockLink every day.

I assume the KnockBlock can pull the timing back when knocking start(I did not plan to buy this unit). Now from what I read about the Q4 ECU, it can pull the timing back when knock start. But it retard the timing maximum (only) 6 degrees when knocking occurs. I assume it is enough if the map is programed accurately. But with a map that has timing advance of around 38 deg at 6000rpm, no boost to probably 22 deg at same revs and 1 bar boost(my assumptions). It is easy to make a mistake larger than 6 degrees if you get a tank of bad fuel from the garage.

SteveNZ
11-04-13, 14:41
These are tuning tools, they provide information to the user or, they say, to an ecu. It will not alter the timing by itself.

It's part of the Link engine management line up so I assume it can be used with a Link ecu

www.linkecu.com

corriedw
11-04-13, 16:04
If their Management can retard timing for knock, it will be the first after market management that I am aware of that can. I wonder the price compare to the South African ECUs.

mpampis_
11-04-13, 16:21
Corrie, all these "ready" chips at high boost they have max advance 6 degrees. The philosophy of these chips i to use high overboost but for continue load if you have pyrometer i am sure with 6 degrees advance you will scare when you see 1200 c

corriedw
12-04-13, 04:58
Mpampis, what I read on the ECU discription do not say 6 deg max advance. It says when knocking start, the timing retard only 6 deg to stop the knocking.

The max advance may well be 25 degree(I don't know the value)

mpampis_
12-04-13, 05:33
6 degrees retard is enough.

corriedw
12-04-13, 05:51
It is good to know, Mpampis. I think it is because the Q4 ECU is allready set for a turbo car.

On a TS the timing advance at 6000 rpm is 38 deg. When you turbo a TS you need 25 deg at the same speed under boost. That is 13 deg to retard, very few ECUs can do that.