PDA

View Full Version : Toad Alarm

wrinx
06-03-13, 20:03
I've got this horrible Toad in my car....don't suppose anyone has ever removed an alarm/immo have they?

Any tips before I delve in?

wrinx

Brul(tm)
06-03-13, 21:02
Just removed one (immobilizer) from our daily driver :thumbsup:

Cars starts much quicker and better :clap:

My approache:
Opened up the fusebox area and followed the wireing from the box through the car. The manual wasn't much of a help :wacko:
When all the wires where accounted for I restored the original connections and reconnected the wires that where cut.

- The relais wireing for the starter and fuel pump restored.
- reconnect wires from the ignition in the steering column.
- remove power feed and couple of ground wires.
- removed keypad.
- removed immobilizer box.

Steve Webb
06-03-13, 21:10
I've got this horrible Toad in my car....don't suppose anyone has ever removed an alarm/immo have they?

Any tips before I delve in?

wrinx

Follow the wires back from the control box, only work on one wire at a time, don't use scotch lok connectors, don't solder the joints back together (the solder/wire interface can cause the wire to break due to vibrations) use a good quality joining crimp and tool.

And take your time.

wrinx
06-03-13, 21:33
Thanks guys...so what's considered a good quality joining crimp?

I would have just soldered and covered with heat shrink :oops:

wrinx

Steve Webb
06-03-13, 22:01
Something like these Butt connectors (stop sniggering at the back)

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/59/category/8

You really need a crimping tool to close them up properly though.

Suzumushi
06-03-13, 22:47
Something like these Butt connectors (stop sniggering at the back)

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/59/category/8

You really need a crimping tool to close them up properly though.

i can argue with that :)
in my opinion soldering is much better,
i'm always soldering cables in the car, did it in cars -> many times, also repaired many "butt" connectors that after time had connection problems.

so basically i'm soldering fun :)

but You an always connect two techniques, first insert butt connector on cables, solder them and then close up connector using appropriate tool :D

regards

w

Brul(tm)
07-03-13, 06:52
If you solder it properly, not "glueing", it's no problem at all.
I have done it this way on a couple of cars and never experienced any problems.
Though I wouldn't solder something on the loom that's connected to the engine, this will have movement.

Steve Webb
07-03-13, 07:40
The problem a lot of people have when using crimps is that they don't use the correct crimping tool. They aren't cheap and the close the crimp around the wire completely. Also you need to use the correct sized crimp rather than just the one you've got left kicking around the bottom of the toolbox.

If you are going to solder I would recommend that you tape up the wire around the solder joint so the wire can't move in relation to joint.

wrinx
07-03-13, 09:04
Thanks all, I think as long as I'm generous with the heat sleeve and allow enough eacah side of the joint it should support the joint and protect the wires if they've been soldered...so I'll carry on as planned :)

Really looking forward to this :roll:

wrinx

wrinx
11-03-13, 21:32
Quick question...I'm unable to use the car at the moment because the indicator are on all the time!

Do I need to chase for mouldy connectors or is this likely to be the alarm at fault?

wrinx

Speedy
11-03-13, 23:50
Can only be the alarm or the indicator relay is stuck

wrinx
12-03-13, 18:52
Thanks, was planning to rip out the hazard switch too but I'll focus on those.

wrinx

Steve Webb
12-03-13, 19:58
Just make sure you have got some of this on order, just in case you short something out.

http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/images/Smokekit2.jpg

wrinx
02-04-13, 00:13
Missed your post... :lol:

Where am I likely to find an aftermarket alarm on a 155, I think the original is in the nearside wheelarch on a RHD car but not sure about the Q4. Where's yours...?

I have a theory that my ill-fitting windscreen surround in linked to the alarm problems, allowing water to get into the system so am fixing that first :roll:

wrinx

corriedw
02-04-13, 06:37
The hobbyists are not likely to buy a 50 Euro crimping tool to crimp ferrules, and would end up with the rubbish Auto shops sell. I have seen too many dry connections, If I find these crimpers on a ship they go overboard. I would also rather solder the join.