PDA

View Full Version : Belt intervals

ecl
27-02-13, 11:29
Whats the interval for changing the timing belt?

2 or 3 years?

It has only done 16.000 km, but it has passed two years, and i can't remember When it should be changed. I'm selling the car, so it would be nice to give the information to a new owner.

Thanks

colibry
27-02-13, 12:35
i was told that the safest way for Q4 is to change it to 50k km or 3 years. I made only 3000km in 3 years and i changed them just to be shure.. :)

Steve Webb
27-02-13, 14:56
This is something I've wondered about before as well.

Why does the life of a belt start from the time that it is fitted to a car rather than from when it is manufactured?

I know that a belt on a car COULD be exposed to extremes of heat and cold and COULD get contaminated by oil / grease etc. But what about a belt that isn't leaked on by oil/water etc and that is on a car that lives in a heated garage. Is that belt still going to have a lifespan of 3 years?
Or is it the fact that the belt is tension-ed on the car that causes it to deteriorate?

I can see the reason why the belt would need to be replaced after a certain amount of mileage, but the time reason is a little less clear to me.

I know its not a comparable engine, but I changed the belt on the Land Rover last year. I think it had been on the car for @ 80k miles and at least 6 years. The belt was in perfect condition with no cracking or any belt dust at all.
I know the 300tdi engine is about as far away from the Lampredi as you can get, but surely a belt sitting on that engine is using up its allotted lifespan at the same rate as one on a Lampredi that isn't being used?

Just my thoughts on the whole belt issue.

But as it has been said, the best way to stay safe is 50k km or 3 years, whichever comes first.

Suzumushi
27-02-13, 17:43
Mounted belt is under stress by a tensioner...
meaby that's a reason.

by the way on ducati's desmoquatro engines you have to change belts (two of them) every 2 years or 6k miles....

regards

WS

alfa155chris
27-02-13, 17:53
Mounted belt is under stress by a tensioner...
meaby that's a reason.

by the way on ducati's desmoquatro engines you have to change belts (two of them) every 2 years or 6k miles....

regards

WS

I did the belts twice on old 916 one set had only done 900 miles in 2 years and still looked like new but still replaced them as was cheaper then doing a engine rebuild.

Steve Webb
27-02-13, 18:06
replaced them as was cheaper then doing a engine rebuild.

Thats what it boils down to doesn't it.

With something that can do as much damage as a broken belt its always best to err on the side of caution.

I seem to remember some manufacturers getting stung years back when they quoted service intervals too far apart for belts.

wrinx
27-02-13, 18:46
Tensioners and idlers do the mileage but the belt is always under tension and does the time.

I've just been reading about a 16v belt which was knackered despite only having covered about 20k....the tensioner had stretched it so much and was at the end of it's deflection.

Scary stuff...

wrinx

corriedw
31-03-13, 10:35
Rubber has a way to deteriate when not used and they do not like to be in an unnatural position. Compare a tyre that stand in one position for a year, it will start to perish where it is folded at the bottom. All other places will be good.

If it keep on flexing(running) for the same period, there will also not be any perishing. So I guess it is the standing, stretched over the pulley that they don't like?