PDA

View Full Version : Boost gauge in dash

Alfa Patch
22-02-13, 19:46
I thought I'd share something I've been messing about with for the past few months.

It started to get very dangerous looking for the boost gauge down where the stereo used to be so I wanted to move it up into the binaccle. Several evenings of head scratching resulted in an idea of combining the two (pic 1/2).

From then onwards it was lots of measuring and disassembly / reassembly but I'm pretty pleased with the results (pics 5,6,7)

The boost gauge is now where the lights for the headlights and indicators used to be and displays pressure in Bar using the same scale as the fuel gauge from a spare dash (Pic 3/4).

The lights will be relocated to the unused ones (glow plugs, cat etc) below the rpm gauge but I wanted to make sure it all worked before I did any more work.

It lights up fine and although the needle is a little dimmer than the other gauges its not nearly so noticable as in the picture 8.

Now I can keep an eye on boost without risking an accident!!

AlfaJack
22-02-13, 22:21
That is genius! Great idea and nicely done!

Xti
23-02-13, 05:25
I like the idea, very effective too.

Steve Webb
23-02-13, 08:36
That is brilliant.

Won't the peg stop the gauge registering vacuum though?

Alfa Patch
23-02-13, 09:38
Won't the peg stop the gauge registering vacuum though?

I chopped the peg down and adapted the boost gauge so it could only show .25 bar vacuum. I still have a non messed with boost gauge and the ability to plumb it in should I need to fault find. There's also a HKS boost controller in the glove box which is very accurate if needed, just needs a buddy to read it as its miles out of eyeshot!

Once I've relocated the other lights ill see if I can put a video of it in action.

wrinx
23-02-13, 10:24
Simple and effective...nice idea :)

wrinx

mpampis_
23-02-13, 20:07
It is very nice mate. I guess it is not in your plans to go more 1 bar of boost pressure

Alfa Patch
23-02-13, 21:03
It is very nice mate. I guess it is not in your plans to go more 1 bar of boost pressure

Thats a problem I hope I have one day :)

For now it will be 1 bar. The idea with my car is to make it a comfortable and driveable road car, big boost doesnt fit into my budget at the moment.

Varypodaros
26-02-13, 13:10
Nice idea and nice job.

Brul(tm)
28-02-13, 06:52
I like this innovative idea :thumbsup:
This modification is done very nicely :cool:

ken155
28-02-13, 10:47
:thumbsup:Very professional, love it!:thumbsup:

CloverleafQ4
12-03-13, 22:50