PDA

View Full Version : What car?

Steve Webb
02-01-13, 20:40
This isn't for me, its for my mechanically unsympathetic step-son.

1. Got to be cheap <£1000
2. Got to be reliable and bullet proof, hes got a habit of killing cars
3. Family sized, able to fit all the crap that goes along with a 2.5 year old and a new born.
4. Cheap
5. Cheap insurance etc.

Doesn't matter how ugly/dull/unappealing a car.

So does anyone have any suggestions other than the usual Ford/Vauxhall offerings?

AlfaJack
02-01-13, 23:07
8v 155 (with relevant welding completed) - that is a serious suggestion. If you are the remote mechanic as I suspect you are then it could be a good idea...

Steve Webb
03-01-13, 11:48
Good idea, the only problem being his total lack of mechanical ability or common sense.
The poor 8v would last approx 2 months before it ran out of oil, and we had the 'Oh thats what that light on the dashboard meant' conversation.

wrinx
03-01-13, 19:44
8v 155 (with relevant welding completed) - that is a serious suggestion. If you are the remote mechanic as I suspect you are then it could be a good idea...

Trouble is....I think this may be the same Stepson who lives in a different country???

How about a JTD 156 Sportwagon, they take loads of abuse and don't use much oil either! :lol:

wrinx

Speedy
03-01-13, 21:07
Hate to say but something like a volvo or a mondeo even a skoda octavia if you can find one cheap that is

Xti
04-01-13, 11:00
Aren't japanese cars more reliable ? Pretty cheap too.

Steve Webb
05-01-13, 10:00
A 156 Jtd is a good shout, but I'm not sure on his insurance ncd at the moment, he managed to total a Civic all by himself on a straight piece of road a few years back, and I'm not fond (read I'll never get back into a car driven by him ever again) of his driving style.
They also might still be a little pricey.

I'm leaning towards a Jap car to be honest, for the reliability factor. I spotted a Toyota Avensis for less than a grand that might do the job.

Mind you I'll still be amazed if it lives longer than 18 months in his hands.

Xti
05-01-13, 13:26
Let's hope he'll never hurt himself or/and others.