PDA

View Full Version : What tool have you recently bought?

wrinx
20-10-12, 20:18
I'm a serial tool buyer :wub:

Recently bought a very expensive MIG welder which is was worth every penny...and just picked up a second hand cold saw as I'd got fed up with hand cuttung metal

Been playing with it today, it only does something like 20rpm and has an inbuilt coolant pump for steel :cool:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/wrinx/Hosted/Machinery/saw.jpg

wrinx

Steve Webb
20-10-12, 20:44
That is wicked. Like you I'm fed up with cutting metal, does it give a nice neat, straight cut?

the wombat
20-10-12, 20:44
What MIG did you get Wrinx?

wrinx
20-10-12, 21:52
That is wicked. Like you I'm fed up with cutting metal, does it give a nice neat, straight cut?

It does indeed...I bought a metal bandsaw recently but it's pants at cutting thick stuff or in a straight line!

I used to use a saw like this years ago when I worked in engineering, but it was much larger...they're great!

wrinx

wrinx
20-10-12, 22:44
What MIG did you get Wrinx?

A Portamig 235...welds up to 9mm but also goes down to 20a for car bodywork :)

wrinx

Evodelta
21-10-12, 10:44
I have the same disease :thinking-011:

I've also got the same saw, problem was mine came without coolant tray so I sourced a non stick baking tray on Ebay and sat it in that. :lol-030:
Does your coolant pump and pickup tube work ok? I think mine seems to be missing some sort of non-return valve as I have to manually prime it all the time.

The same welder too, the only fault I have found with it is how the shroud screws on, it's not very positive and has failed a couple of times. Apart from that it's been great.

Most recent acquisition is one of these:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/Deltona_II/BridgeportSeries2.jpg

At 2.5 tons it was a big job to get it in. A bit old and outdated as all our stuff is made on CNC machines now, but it's a very useful and adaptable piece of kit to have in the workshop.

alfa155chris
21-10-12, 11:37
I was thinking I need to go on to a snap on or mac tools lorry as I havn't bought any new tools for a long time
But it's nice to have my tool box back and useing them again as it was at a friends farm being stored for 3 years as didn't have a safe place to keep it

Evodelta
21-10-12, 12:31
I was thinking I need to go on to a snap on or mac tools lorry as I havn't bought any new tools for a long time
But it's nice to have my tool box back and using them again as it was at a friends farm being stored for 3 years as didn't have a safe place to keep it

A lot of Snap on tools are Chinese shite these days, a fair amount of mine have broken and gone back, it tends to be the newer products. I like to support local businesses as much as possible (which my local Snap on guy is), but really I have to say I'm not very impressed with a lot of their stuff lately.
The best place to buy Snap on tools is Ebay....

wrinx
21-10-12, 13:20
Does your coolant pump and pickup tube work ok? I think mine seems to be missing some sort of non-return valve as I have to manually prime it all the time.

I was messing about with this yesterday, thinking the diaphragm had gone on mine as it wasn't pumping. Stripped it down and all was well after a manual prime...worked well for about a dozen cuts and then stopped. I stripped it down again and again found no problem :huhsign: Put it back together and working again....I came to the same conclusion as you and have bought an 8mm non-return valve to put inline before the pump :lol:

wrinx

Steve Webb
21-10-12, 15:46
A lot of Snap on tools are Chinese shite these days, a fair amount of mine have broken and gone back, it tends to be the newer products. I like to support local businesses as much as possible (which my local Snap on guy is), but really I have to say I'm not very impressed with a lot of their stuff lately.
The best place to buy Snap on tools is Ebay....

Luckily when my dad retired I inherited a whole toolbox full of Snap on sockets etc. Its all at least 20 years old so you can really abuse it without the risk of breaking anything.

Lots of big names moved manufacturing over to China in the late 90's and as such the quality went through the floor. My local car stereo place stopped stocking Alpine kit after they started manufacturing in China, he got fed up with the high number of warranty returns he was getting.

Brul(tm)
21-10-12, 16:42
Lots of big names moved manufacturing over to China in the late 90's and as such the quality went through the floor.

That's not only the problem with moving manufacturing to China.
Things are not made to last that long anymore, we have a consumption society nowadays :loco: Who's willing to pay for quality these days?
When products are designed, there's to much eye for the cost aspect as well.

wrinx
21-10-12, 17:50
I've got two large sets of "Blue Point" which supposed to be Snap-on's budget range....I think they're great...but then I'm a DIY mechanic and not using them every day in a trade environment.

Halfords Professional range are supposed to be very good too.

I hate the "throwaway society" and will always try to repair things before giving up on them...washer's been saved three times and the tumble drier four times! We're still using my old CRT TV as a spare for the conservatory/kids :lol:

wrinx

Evodelta
21-10-12, 18:41
I was messing about with this yesterday, thinking the diaphragm had gone on mine as it wasn't pumping. Stripped it down and all was well after a manual prime...worked well for about a dozen cuts and then stopped. I stripped it down again and again found no problem :huhsign: Put it back together and working again....I came to the same conclusion as you and have bought an 8mm non-return valve to put inline before the pump :lol:

wrinx

Did it work?

wrinx
21-10-12, 18:44
Will let you know, only bought it yesterday on Ebay so it'll take a day or two to arrive.

wrinx

Evodelta
21-10-12, 18:53
I've got two large sets of "Blue Point" which supposed to be Snap-on's budget range....I think they're great...but then I'm a DIY mechanic and not using them every day in a trade environment.

Halfords Professional range are supposed to be very good too.

I hate the "throwaway society" and will always try to repair things before giving up on them...washer's been saved three times and the tumble drier four times! We're still using my old CRT TV as a spare for the conservatory/kids :lol:

wrinx

Tightwad Northerner :tongue:

Haha, i'm still watching my old Sony TV with separate digital box, I paid about a grand for it years ago and it's never broken so it will carry on until it does!

I've got a worn bearing on my washing machine, but can't find it. I replaced both which supported the drum at the rear, but when it's spinning it's making an awful grinding noise. I didn't think there must be some kind of guide bearing at the front, but haven't delved that deep yet, any ideas?

Evodelta
21-10-12, 19:04
Luckily when my dad retired I inherited a whole toolbox full of Snap on sockets etc. Its all at least 20 years old so you can really abuse it without the risk of breaking anything.

Lots of big names moved manufacturing over to China in the late 90's and as such the quality went through the floor. My local car stereo place stopped stocking Alpine kit after they started manufacturing in China, he got fed up with the high number of warranty returns he was getting.

Interestingly engineering manufacturing is starting to come back to the UK from China, companies with CNC machines have been getting increasingly busy over the last few years - and long may it continue.

My favourite spanners over the last year have been these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6PC-LONG-FLEXI-HEAD-RATCHET-SPANNER-SET-EXTRA-LONG-DOUBLE-FLEXI-HEAD-METRIC-/320915787151?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4ab8124d8f

And the fixed head type too.

Really useful - great for accessing distant nuts n bolts and loads of leverage.

wrinx
21-10-12, 20:04
....any ideas?

Throw it away and buy another? :lol-052:

wrinx

1NRO
22-10-12, 19:59
Loving the cold saw, there was a nice one on ebay near me that I'd talked myself (that's not hard :blush:) into but it made more money than I could justify. TBH I don't cut enough tube etc to really need one and the bandsaw I got fairly recently will do what I need. As a wood worker I've always had a bandsaw but often abused them with metal so I got a dedicated machine that can double up for wood, all singing and dancing with it's own gearbox and mechanical tilt on two directions, love it.
http://imageshack.us/a/img197/9172/fettledbandsaw004.jpg

Most car dedicated purchase of recent times is the tig. I admit I need practice still but if it matter to be a nice weld I've a man who can so it's difficult to knuckle down and put the hours in to get good myself (note to self - find time!)
http://imageshack.us/a/img708/5104/floorpaint006.jpg
The last thing I bought was a new to me wood lathe, I've had one for years but this is an upgrade in weight and the disc sander will be very handy (the main motivator to purchase) Here it is as stripped for transport, I'm on with giving it a cosmetic makeover ATM but thankfully as an ex school machine it's hardly had any use (I used it when I was at school amazingly)
http://imageshack.us/a/img809/1492/lathe003.jpg

Steve Webb
23-10-12, 19:46
An oven and woodburner in the garage? Do you get the serious munchies when working on a car?

1NRO
23-10-12, 20:37
It was many years of cold workshop before the stove, it's great to have these days though.
Ive never cooked anything to eat in the oven, it's had a few weird things in it and smells odd but it's mainly for pre heating aluminium before welding. It still ranks as about the best bargain I've had off ebay, bagged it for £21, a nearly new double oven NEFF worth about a grand new. The poor guys face was a picture when I turned up to collect it, I'd only been working for him the week before and turned down a price he'd suggested.

AlfaJack
23-10-12, 23:15
That is mighty impressive!

Steve Webb
24-10-12, 20:43
Yes but where is the beer fridge?

1NRO
25-10-12, 18:51
:smile: no beer fridge I'm afraid though there are a couple of proper pubs within a stones throw so if it's all too much it's not far to refuge.

Steve Webb
26-10-12, 07:11
Ahh Pubs, i remember them. The closest I've got to one in recent years is the Weatherspoons in Gatwick airport. :(

wrinx
19-11-12, 08:09
Just bought a set of Alden Wrenches...never heard of them before but they'll be useful for getting to those nuts in tight spaces :oops:

wrinx

Steve Webb
24-11-12, 17:53
:banned: We'll have none of that new fangled smut here. I assume you were watching a Carry On film whilst posting that Wrinx.

wrinx
24-11-12, 18:41
Banned... :cry:

wrinx

Steve Webb
25-11-12, 06:50
Well i couldn't find a more appropriate smilie and I was jetlagged.

Consider it revoked. :nahnahna:

Steve Webb
12-01-13, 14:35
Got dragged shopping today so sloped off down the diy section for some light relief. Picked up this sure to be handy item for €6.

the wombat
12-01-13, 20:52
Got a nice sealey digital vernier gauge for Christmas. Just wanted something to measure spigot holes for a set of wheels, and got the full works!

wrinx
12-01-13, 23:27
Had a set of digital Verniers for a few years now...couldn't be without them.

wrinx

Steve Webb
13-01-13, 09:05
I've got a set of Sealey/Clarke digital verniers, great piece of kit and like Wrinx I couldn't be without them now.
Had them for about 10 years now. Just make sure you keep a spare battery to hand.

Tamael
10-03-13, 20:58
I just received a new obd reader, lpg interface and the software for most of the major lpg installation brand to at least be able to diagnose the systems more easy.

now just wait for money to get the prins and brc interface. then ime done. Now have to work in earning it back.

And... removal tools for windscreens (looks like i have a lot of windscreen isues on my cars. (water everywhere, even in my seat. so much for a sunroof.)

next to that for 300 euro worth of lpg parts. have completed 3 kits with these spares. one 6 cylinder and four 4 cylinder big block kits. all suitable for 250 hp.

*is broke now*

Finn
12-03-13, 08:54
I bought hog ring pliers and hog rings. I just made leather seats for my Q4 from 156 leather covers. Some extensive modifying and head scratching was necessary :thinking-011:

alfa155chris
12-03-13, 09:03
I bought hog ring pliers and hog rings. I just made leather seats for my Q4 from 156 leather covers. Some extensive modifying and head scratching was necessary :thinking-011:

I done this middle of last year to some front seats for one of my 155's. Just sorted some rear 145 seats for it so will be fitting them soon into the White V6 as soon as I collect rear seat

Steve Webb
19-05-13, 07:26
My new favorite tool at the moment is the cheap electric impact wrench. I figured I'm probably only going to use it in the garage so no need for cordless, and nothing too heavy duty so no need for air and an expensive new compressor.

Anyway this thing has been removing stubborn nuts for me quite happily. Miffed I never bought one earlier, would have made things so much easier.

Alfie
15-07-13, 06:05
hmmm great purchases, i like them.. well I ordered a Laptop last night.. yeah from online store.. and they will deliver it in 2-3 days. Here are the specifications and picture of my latest purchase.

Acer Aspire E-571
Core i5 Processor
500 GB hard drive
4 GB Ram
Intel HD 4000 Graphics.
6 Cell battery

http://www.notebookcheck.net/uploads/tx_nbc2/acerE1_num_.jpg

http://static.acer.com/up/Resource/Acer/Notebooks/AGW2%20Aspire%20E/Photo%20Gallery/20120919/EA50-photo-gallery-06.png

ken155
21-07-13, 22:40
I like my tools as well, so in the last year I have bought : digital vernier calipers, a huge torque wrench, a small draper socket set and one electric impact wrench, I also don't know how I managed before without one :thumbsup:

wrinx
22-07-13, 08:35
I also bought an electric impact wrench a couple of mo ths ago...needed to remove and refit a V6 crank nut which is FT.

Whipped if off straight away!

wrinx

Brul(tm)
28-09-13, 21:36
I recently bought a complete Examiner with all the accessories and testing parts.
Software version v5.20. After cleaning the hardware, it seems to be working just fine.
Not tested on a car yet.

Wondering if some documentation is available about the functioning of this testing tool and what the latest version of the software might be.

I am feeling lucky to be able to make this purchase :smoke::smoke:

wrinx
28-09-13, 23:10
Examiner...lucky man!

Just bought a small metal rolling machine ot make fuel tanks straps :lol:

wrinx

ken155
07-10-13, 21:49
The other night in Aldi, I saw some hefty chrome vanadium combi spanners (a set of 16) for £7.99, absolute bargain, had to get to add to my already hefty stock of them, you can never have enough imo :D

Leo
15-10-13, 16:20
Aldi sell some very good tools - I've got a set of these spanners and they have already come in useful. Angle grinders and Orbital sanders are cheap but good

Steve Webb
06-11-13, 20:28
Looking forward to getting down to Aldi when I get back to the UK next week. However my tool of choice at the moment appears to be a blowtorch, seem to be using on lots of stuck parts at the moment.
Oh and a heat proof mat comes in handy too.

Suzumushi
12-12-13, 22:24
A proper set of new tools :icon_wink:

wrinx
12-12-13, 22:51
Very nice :cool:

wrinx

Leo
20-12-13, 09:06
Next to a proper bike I notice. :thumb:

Brul(tm)
26-12-13, 19:05
I just ordered one of these yesterday of the bay.
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Mini-5M-4-LED-USB-Waterproof-Endoscope-Borescope-Snake-Inspection-Video-Camera-/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/$(KGrHqV,!pEE-64plTJKBP-6BLV(0Q~~60_12.JPG

wrinx
26-12-13, 20:05
Ahh, let us know how you go on with it, been thinking about one of these for some time.

I'm currently looking at some rubber mallets, a swager and an expensive metal folder!

wrinx

Suzumushi
29-12-13, 13:14
Next to a proper bike I notice. :thumb:

Bikes actually ;)
Click (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/q4tfew5rkjqr04f/20131204_192535.jpg)

Brul(tm)
09-01-14, 11:56
Ahh, let us know how you go on with it, been thinking about one of these for some time.

Got delivered yesterday, now need to find some time to actually test its :biggrin: First impression is okay, you can make a picture or film.

Evodelta
14-03-14, 07:48
The Chinese electrical stuff on Ebay is amazingly cheap, I've got one of those small camera probes too, I've also got one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BBQ-Oven-Thermometer-Digital-Food-Thermometer-for-Grill-Oven-BBQ-Meat-Steak-/390628401421?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item5af344610d

On the way. I'll be checking it for accuracy and it'll get workshop use in Winter, patio use in Summer. :lol-052:

wrinx
01-04-15, 18:55
Bought one of the little inspection cameras and wasn't impressed :(

Anyway, after 2.5yrs I finally got around to fitting the non-return valve today :lol:

Got a fairly big project on which will involve lots of cutting so needed the coolant to work rather than using a spray bottle, to save my fingers!

Hopefully it won't have drained overnight...

wrinx