PDA

View Full Version : ID of oiler breather system hoses

AlfaJack
08-10-12, 10:49
I need to replace one or two on mine and would like to get it is silicone.

I forgot to measure the ID of the connections. Any help would be appreciated so I can order without opening the bonnet!

Thanks,
Jack

Steve Webb
08-10-12, 10:57
The breather is off the car at the moment, I can grab the diameters of the connectors if you like.

AlfaJack
08-10-12, 11:29
Cheers Steve :)

Is normal silicone pipe OK for oil breather systems?
Thought I read here that it might not be...

wrinx
08-10-12, 11:43
There are two types of silicone hose, one for water and the other for oil.

wrinx

Steve Webb
08-10-12, 11:55
Well the outlets on the oil seperator are 20mm.
And I don't think normal silicone stands up too well to being exposed to hydrocarbons of any sort.
You better get some flexible stuff as well as there are some tight bends in the standard hoses.

AlfaJack
08-10-12, 13:18
Cheers.
Yes, they are too tight for bending lengths of hose so will get a 90 degree bend and joiners.

Thanks,
Jack

AlfaJack
08-10-12, 15:43
I would need two of these to make one of the pipes - this could be expensive!

Will search for non-silicone replacements.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLUE-SILICONE-PIPE-FUEL-OIL-ELBOW-90-DEGREE-19mm-/290578454403?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a7d35783#ht_1750wt_1111

Alfa Patch
08-10-12, 16:37
Jack I have loads of 90 degree bends in rubber radiator hose. I have used one or two for some of the breather pipes when I straightened out my inlet pipes. They are a tight fit but do work. The one round the back of the engine is fun to get to, especially if it still has the oe Alfa fastener. Enjoy that one ;)

I could give you some if they will work. How many do you need?

Steve Webb
08-10-12, 16:39
Well you could always try this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMCO-SILICONE-19MM-OIL-RESISTANT-XTRAFLEX-HOSE-/270635642910?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0324301e#ht_4005wt_1186

Alfa Patch
08-10-12, 16:58
Some of the breather hoses on mine are the bendy samco stuff. Seems to work, they weren't broken down inside or brittle when I checked them recently. The breather collector on my car was never in the original place though so I'm not sure you could get it to make the bends without crimping

AlfaJack
08-10-12, 17:51
Well you could always try this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMCO-SILICONE-19MM-OIL-RESISTANT-XTRAFLEX-HOSE-/270635642910?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0324301e#ht_4005wt_1186

It is a touch pricey:eek:
Had not seen this extrafelx hose before so will look further to a reasonable priced length.

Cheers Patch - I am doing the pipe that comes off the oil collector then down past the battery to the metal pipe which runs behind the exhaust manifold. This is the one that i need 90s for at 19-20mmID.

Plus I want to do all the others that come of the oil catch can.

Those round the bac of the engine have been done - pig of a job I know!

Are the 90s you have oil resistant?

Alfa Patch
08-10-12, 19:33
Are the 90s you have oil resistant?

Good question and the honest answer is I don't know. Probably not worth the risk from your point of view but they've been on my car a while and haven't deteriorated at all yet.

Anyway the offer is open if you want some, I have a pretty much endless supply.

AlfaJack
08-10-12, 19:51
Cheers Patch - will see what I can get and maybe take you up on it :)

What do you do to give you such supply?

Alfa Patch
08-10-12, 20:22
Cheers Patch - will see what I can get and maybe take you up on it :)

What do you do to give you such supply?

I work at a kart track and the radiator hoses we use for half of our karts come with two 90 degree bends at each end. The way we use them means that one end gets chopped off and is useless other than for getting me out of trouble!

AlfaJack
08-10-12, 21:59
:driving-014: Cool! I did electric karting last year for my stag do. Can't believe how well these things went - it was brilliant.

Which track? (hope he says Buckmore) I would love to get a meeting organised for our AROC section and forums!

I used to be in part ownership at my workplace with a 125 and used to go to tracks like Lydd, Sittingbourne and Tilbury (where my mate hit a tyre wall and rolled the kart over and spent a few days in hospital - it ended there but I had moved company by then.

Alfa Patch
08-10-12, 22:15
Its sandown park in Esher. I'm not going to harp on about it on here but it's good, look it up ;)

If your interested pm me and I'll send you my details.

In regards to the breather collector does it matter where it is? For instance it's height in the engine bay?

AlfaJack
09-10-12, 20:16
Its sandown park in Esher. I'm not going to harp on about it on here but it's good, look it up ;)

If your interested pm me and I'll send you my details.

In regards to the breather collector does it matter where it is? For instance it's height in the engine bay?

Will do and....no idea.

Steve Webb
09-10-12, 20:37
Which track? (hope he says Buckmore) I would love to get a meeting organised for our AROC section and forums!

I got taken to Buckmore on a corporate jolly when I was working down in London, brilliant place.
Daytona up in Kings Cross was also pretty good. And is the outdoor place down by city airport still going, seemed a bit of a dodgy outfit with some ropey kit as well.

I also did the lpg indoor Karts up at silverstone, they seemed pretty gutless to be honest, although that could be down to me not being the smallest chap around.

The one over here in Bergerac is pretty good as well, not the fastest guy out there (see above) but its always a good laugh.

AlfaJack
09-10-12, 21:24
is the outdoor place down by city airport still going, seemed a bit of a dodgy outfit with some ropey kit as well.

That is where I did my stag - yes a bit dodgy but good fun :thumbsup:

Alfa Patch
09-10-12, 23:25
Mine is a Daytona venue, the kings cross one is now shut. I used to race as a kid, karting is great fun but stupidly expensive if you want to race competitively with your own kit.

Steve Webb
10-10-12, 09:08
karting is great fun but stupidly expensive

Just going to a kart track is expensive, the cost of running your own team must be crazy expensive and getting worse I would think, all these competitive parents wanting their kids to do well must be pushing the costs up.