PDA

View Full Version : adjustable rearaxle

peter holst
05-09-12, 06:19
I have been told that the alfa 155 BTCC had an fully adjustable rear axle. has anybody godt some pictures etc? I think it must be the same axle as on the Q4?

A guy at the fiat coupe forum has this for sale:
I also have a set of machined rear arms which give -3 degrees negative camber and it is what i used on my race car more or less all of it's life as i didn't get a chance to get the benefit of theis one. They don;t adjust obviously and i will sell them as they are or mounted onto a refurbed rear beam for Ģ200 posted.

anybody who knows if the 155 GTA had negative camber on the rear wheels?

Steve Webb
05-09-12, 07:19
I'm imagine the BTCC 155 had an adjustable rear end, but whether this was done with a truly adjustable rear frame and arms, or whether it was done by having differently machined rear arms I don't know. The latter I would guess.

The trailing arm design of the rear suspension doesn't really lend itself to an adjustable setup as the geometry would change as the suspension went through compression and droop.

hf hpe
05-09-12, 19:29
155 GTA use different rear suspension
I think it is from Delta or Alfa 164

Sordi's 155 GTA
http://forum.berlinasportivo.com/showthread.php?t=2238

Steve Webb
05-09-12, 19:56
That suspension looks completely bespoke to me, too complicated and fragile for a road car I would have said.

hf hpe
05-09-12, 20:12
there is rear suspension 155 GTA stradale
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alfaromeo155/4270343310/

peter holst
06-09-12, 08:17
but what about the camber on the gta?

is it negative and how much?

Q4-Dave
22-09-12, 11:27
Donīt know anything about the rear camber Iīm afraid

What I recall the BTCC cars was frontwheel drive with the 2,0TS engine? If my memory doesnīt fail me
if so they should not have the same rear axle as the Q4, as they were frontwheeldrive and the Q4 4wd, but correct me if Iīm wrong..?

Steve Webb
22-09-12, 13:51
The BTCC rear setup won't be exactly the same as the Q4, as the Q4 rear subframe needs to clear the prop-shaft and have somewhere to bolt the rear diff to. However I believe the rear suspension arms and spring\damper location points are pretty much the same across the whole 155 range.
Keeping the standard 155 rear suspension configuration and making it adjustable for camber is going to take some pretty trick engineering. More likely that if the BTCC cars had adjustable rear suspension, it was done with a selection of different suspension arms.

peter holst
22-09-12, 14:18
A guy at the coupeforum had one and also a set of suspension arms - sold:(

Q4-Dave
22-09-12, 17:29
Ok i see, thanks Steve for clearing things out for me..

Have been thinking of the "rear wheel adjustment thing" as well but not come up with anything yet..

peter too bad they were sold already, do you know where to, lancia or alfaowner?
what was he asking for them?

corriedw
23-09-12, 11:09
On a 2wd track day 145, which has the same rear suspension as the 155, we slotted the mounting for the trailing arms, for camber and toe. In this case the angle will stay the same through the movement range compared to the car's center line. Large washer were fitted on the bolts holding the mounting and when satisfied with the settings measurement the washers were welded in position.

The angle to the road however change as the car lean in a corner, unlike the 147/Integrale style rear suspension. Which was copied in the stradale suspension above. I can not clearly see if the first GTA suspension is the the same type, strut suspension or a double wishbone set-up.

I did not give enough attention to the standard Q4 set-up(not ready to start changing that yet), but if I remember correctly it is standard 155 trailing arms with hubs to connect the drive shaft. Meaning you should be able to slot the trailing arm mountings if you want to change the camber.

I must say that with experience on other vehicles, I found that tyres does not run off even with more than 1 degree camber. On cars prepared for the track 3 deg are the norm, but tyre life is not applicable here.

The multi-link suspension on the 916 GTVs are set for 1.75 deg negative, with 2.5 mm toe-in. Even with harder coil springs or stiffer shocks the tyres wear down unevenly. The settings on this complicated suspension is extreme and can not be used for a road car with trailing arm rear suspension.

peter holst
23-09-12, 14:53
Ok i see, thanks Steve for clearing things out for me..

Have been thinking of the "rear wheel adjustment thing" as well but not come up with anything yet..

peter too bad they were sold already, do you know where to, lancia or alfaowner?
what was he asking for them?

donīt know to who but the price was 200 pounds

peter holst
23-09-12, 15:14
the Q4 rear subframe needs to clear the prop-shaft and have somewhere to bolt the rear diff to as steve says - is it possible to mod the GTV subframe for this?

corriedw
24-09-12, 11:01
the Q4 rear subframe needs to clear the prop-shaft and have somewhere to bolt the rear diff to as steve says - is it possible to mod the GTV subframe for this?

It may very well be possible. I do not think it is a good idea as the GTV rear suspension need to be dragged to bring the castor/toe in limits. I believe you will not have the same dynamics if the rear wheel is driven.

The subject is not on topic here, If somebody need to know more, I will try to explain my view, of some of action on the GTV multi link suspension.

Tony
24-01-13, 21:47
There is a guy called serge who has a GTV rear-axle fitted on his fwd 155 track-car!

in these pictures it is not fitted yet, but i heard he did:
http://www.scuderia-hscorse.nl/index.php/news-events/item/37-alfa-155-evo-stage3-van-serge-van-os

its in dutch :S

http://www.artc155.nl/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=21954

peter holst
25-01-13, 05:04
I bought an adjustable rearaxle from a Fiat coupe guy. It has been specialmade and fits the roadcar. Need to modifi the mid- sektion to fit the q4

colibry
25-01-13, 22:11
pics!!

peter holst
26-01-13, 05:36
I will try to find the link to the Fiat coupe uk HomePage. If you can't wait it is listed under "parts for sale"

Evodelta
27-01-13, 13:26
Can you take some pictures and post them up?

peter holst
27-01-13, 14:00
I will as soon as I can get into the garage - not much to see :)

peter holst
27-01-13, 14:01
It is adjustable for camber and to in