PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a turbo

Finn
19-08-12, 13:02
Today I found out that both of my stock turbos have cracks in the turbine housing, in the near of the wastegate port :mad:

I'm going to get a new one, but I'm kind of intimidated by the large selection and my lack of knowledge.

The question is what to buy? Would really love an external wastegate and a tubular manifold but realistically I will use the stock manifold and just need reliability, fast spooling and enough room to be able to tune to around 250hp.

mpampis_
19-08-12, 13:30
A ball bearing gt28r is the best solution for power up to 330 and very fast and quick spool and handle the power and boost to the redline

Steve Webb
19-08-12, 17:47
If you want to stick to something close to standard, I'm running a T3/4 hybrid. Spools up fine but holds boost further up the rev range. At its peak, mine was making 270bhp.

wrinx
19-08-12, 20:10
First...I'd be finding out why both have cracked in the same place?

Then GT28rs for me too, they can be bought with a T3 fitting too.

wrinx

Finn
20-08-12, 06:57
The cracking seems to be an issue with all the T3's and you'd be hard pressed to find one without cracks. Or so I'm told. It shouldn't effect the performance as long as it's not leaking.

GT28RS would be wonderful. Pricey but wonderful :thumbsup:

Have to look also into hybrid turbos as they might be more realistic option.

AlfaJack
20-08-12, 08:38
The GT28 range seems have been out for ages now - has it not been superseded by something else these days?

wrinx
20-08-12, 19:23
The cracking seems to be an issue with all the T3's and you'd be hard pressed to find one without cracks. Or so I'm told.

Really? First I've heard/read about it :?

wrinx

wrinx
20-08-12, 19:23
The GT28 range seems have been out for ages now - has it not been superseded by something else these days?

No idea, the old "disco potato" is still well thought of and will do me...although last time I looked it would cost around £1000!

wrinx

Steve Webb
20-08-12, 20:01
No idea, the old "disco potato" is still well thought of and will do me...although last time I looked it would cost around £1000!

wrinx

Thats the benefit of using the T3/4 option, I think most places would treat it as a refurb and so it would be much cheaper.