PDA

View Full Version : Silicon small bore hoses.

Steve Webb
09-08-12, 18:42
Just a quick question, but to all of you who have used small bore silicon hoses under the bonnet, have you ever had them pop off under pressure?

I've been looking and they seem to be rated upto about 1bar pressure, but of course a properly running Q4 will see just over that.

Also does anyone secure the hoses with anything? Jubilee clips will be too large, so does anyone use zip-ties or anything else?

Brul(tm)
09-08-12, 18:46
I had a couple of them, but replaced them for reinforced hoses.
The silicon hoses didn't pop of but it expanded influencing the performance.

Steve Webb
09-08-12, 19:59
How much boost were you running to make them bulge? :blink:

Brul(tm)
10-08-12, 06:32
1.35 bar boost, max.
Not sure if it was made from silicon though. :thinking-011:

Evodelta
14-08-12, 08:04
Just a quick question, but to all of you who have used small bore silicon hoses under the bonnet, have you ever had them pop off under pressure?

I've been looking and they seem to be rated upto about 1bar pressure, but of course a properly running Q4 will see just over that.

Also does anyone secure the hoses with anything? Jubilee clips will be too large, so does anyone use zip-ties or anything else?

At what point in history did Silicone manage to lose its E and why? :tongue:
Silicon is an element found on the periodic table as SI if I remember right.

Correctly sized small bore hoses don't usually pop off, If your hoses do then use an ABA type hose clip.

A car running a max boost pressure of 1bar will blow off a large (say 65mm) boost hose before it even gets near to this pressure, it won't blow off a small bore at max boost so I would say you have very little to worry about. :happy:

Steve Webb
14-08-12, 08:17
At what point in history did Silicone manage to lose its E and why? :tongue:
Silicon is an element found on the periodic table as SI if I remember right.

Since the time I studied electronics and writing Silicon far more often than writing Silicone. :tongue:

Correctly sized small bore hoses don't usually pop off, If your hoses do then use an ABA type hose clip.

A car running a max boost pressure of 1bar will blow off a large (say 65mm) boost hose before it even gets near to this pressure, it won't blow off a small bore at max boost so I would say you have very little to worry about. :happy:

Cheers for the info, I've been using small bore siliconE hoses for years and never had a problem. Just wanted to check with others.