PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Q4 ECU

wrinx
18-06-12, 00:01
Not a definite yet...but might be needing a Q4 ECU, are there any kicking about?

wrinx

AlfaJack
18-06-12, 00:35
If it is at fault then a repair job might be the easier option...

alfa155chris
18-06-12, 08:10
I would get it repaired

wrinx
18-06-12, 08:22
Fair enough...but if the checksum is corrupt I don't think it can be repaired???

wrinx

Steve Webb
18-06-12, 08:26
How about getting another Q4 to drop by, swap the ECU over and see if the errors go away?
Long shot I know, but at least it would be cheap!

wrinx
18-06-12, 22:00
None within reasonable distance afaik...they all seem to be darn sarf.

wrinx

JBSOUND
18-06-12, 22:23
Wrinx, if none of the above works for you, you may consider a Megasquirt....

wrinx
19-06-12, 08:22
I could...but it's one step further than I wanted to go with mods.

wrinx

wrinx
19-06-12, 08:22
I could...but it's one step further than I wanted to go with mods.

wrinx

Tamael
20-06-12, 18:58
I know a company that has one on a shelve in holland. if you really need one i could bring you in contact with them. they also have coupé and nuveau delta hf ecu's. they are the same with as diference the chip.

They are not cheap but know what they are selling. so they know what to if your car has immo for example.

see this as a last resort.

Tamael

wrinx
20-06-12, 19:45
Thanks Tamael, I'll bear it in mind ;)

wrinx

Evodelta
20-06-12, 22:13
I have one to borrow or buy.

wrinx
20-06-12, 23:27
Depending on how much you want for it....might be a borrow :lol:

wrinx

Evodelta
21-06-12, 21:54
What are the symptoms? I never read anything on here, but could have missed it....

wrinx
21-06-12, 22:06
Not sure if they're linked or not...but I have two burnt out pins on the ECU, last time I looked at the wiring diagram it looked like they were grounds, but everything seemed to be working ok so I ignored them.

Recently read the codes using Startrek and it flagged up EEPROM and EPROM errors (as well as others!); the EPROM error can be blamed on the Squadra chip as there's apparently a checksum error in the programming...but the EEPROM is a bit more serious.

Hence the search for an ECU to check, but I guess I really need to get mine repaired first and recheck :roll:

It also flagged up idle actuator, coil pack and MAP sensor errors :roll:

wrinx

mpampis_
21-06-12, 22:39
Does anyone know someone to make same work to our ecu as rp-lab?

wrinx
21-06-12, 23:06
Found the pics...

Top and bottom pins (1&19) burnt out...
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/wrinx/Q4/SP_A0262.jpg

Blurry, but it's the black bit near the red thing...technical terms :lol:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/wrinx/Q4/SP_A0263.jpg

From memory, it's the bottom left pin...
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/wrinx/Q4/SP_A0264.jpg

wrinx

Tamael
22-06-12, 16:24
those are the main board grounds. those burned out means some major falure. there is a good change you damaged a rom or cpu.

firts get a propper ground conection back to the ecu and then reset the thing. if errors go away i would make a extra groundwire.

i checked prices on the ecu's it was floating between 100 and 250 euro including waranty.

Tamael

wrinx
23-06-12, 00:50
When you say "proper ground to the ECU", could I just run a wire from the car body to the ECU casing or board?

I was going to try repairing the pins but it wouldn't hurt to have another ground anyway.

wrinx

Tamael
23-06-12, 03:21
When you say "proper ground to the ECU", could I just run a wire from the car body to the ECU casing or board?

I was going to try repairing the pins but it wouldn't hurt to have another ground anyway.

wrinx

Indeed, i would make a wire from the board to the case and to the wires that are on the burned ground pins.

dodgy grounding can trow you a world of error codes. alot of them false.

can be the ecu has been hurt in the burnout coz of the pretty high current thats going flow in running condition. (grounding of injectors, actuators and the coil triggers runs there.)

Tamael

Evodelta
24-06-12, 09:56
You need to find out what caused it, looks like a short somewhere on the loom maybe?

wrinx
24-06-12, 19:15
I'm guessing the loom has a fault, but also wondered if the coil pack could have caused a fault and send a jolt back....no idea tbh, I hate electrickery :(

My home bodge of the pins hasn't made any difference so I'll replace the coil packs and see if that helps. Already emailed an ECU repair company to see which bodypart they'll want in exchange for a fix.

wrinx

Evodelta
24-06-12, 21:47
Well you're not on your own there :thinking-011:
I would suspect some kind of wiring fault to be favourite, can't see coilpacks 'back firing'.
Are you going to Northern Alfa day?

wrinx
24-06-12, 22:54
Err...do you mean the National Alfa Day at Newby Hall on the 12th of August...if so, yes, I should be there in the SZ all being well.

wrinx

Evodelta
25-06-12, 07:26
National Alfa day in the North? What on earth are things coming to?!

(Last time I went to one of those you could still buy an integrale new....)

wrinx
25-06-12, 20:59
Well...that's slightly interesting; looks like the two burnt pins (1 & 19) are both grounded on the cam sensor, linked???

wrinx

Tamael
27-06-12, 08:44
there the ground wires of the entire harness in the engine bay. My fiat, lancia and alfa romeo part supplier seen this happen before on turbo and 2.0 16 valve cars with this ecu. it was caused by a bad ground connection on the engine block according to them.

ill check today if they have the ecu and what the cost will be. also ime investing in a rom writer for my own cars. so will be able write roms in the near future.

Tamael

wrinx
23-09-12, 00:18
If all goes as planned I should have a replacement ECU on the way :cool:

wrinx

markgq4
23-09-12, 12:53
All wrapped up and ready for the courier to pick up tomorrow mate

make sure you check and clean that engine earth strap before you plug it in tho i havent got any more !!! :)

Suzumushi
23-09-12, 12:55
Did You found second hand one i reasonably price ?:)

i've got mine from rb-lab, and i'm really happy with it :D

wrinx
23-09-12, 21:25
I did...well, I think it was reasonably priced anyway :) Better than having mine repaired and it's in the UK so no worries about international post :)

wrinx