PDA

View Full Version : Where do you place your jack?

Steve Webb
04-04-12, 20:43
Seeing as the flexibility of the 155 body came up in a recent thread, I was just wondering which parts of the structure you use to jack the car up with?

At the front I tend to use the 2 points located a little further in from the sill jacking points. And at the rear I use a jack on the rear trailing arms.

jimnielsen
05-04-12, 00:23
on the front, you need to use the purpose built points that are a inward from the sills and a little further forwards. If you jack up a standard 1400kg q4 with a typical sort of trolley jack that does not spread the load across the sills - they bend...

On the rear the sills work ok, but its best to spread the load a little with a small piece of wood.. I have never used the rear trailing arms for this purpose myself. But they may be better..

jim..

Steve Webb
05-04-12, 06:09
on the front, you need to use the purpose built points that are a inward from the sills and a little further forwards.

They are the points I meant in my post, you just described them better. They still look a little flimsy to me though.

I'm not all that keen on using things to spread the load, I don't like the way you can see them move when you are jacking up. (I suppose that comes from dropping a car off a jack many many years ago)