PDA

View Full Version : Ticking hub.

Steve Webb
02-04-12, 21:15
Right, got a bit of a weird problem at the moment, the front offside hub of the Land Rover is ticking, it sounds like its once per wheel revolution.
Doesn't matter if you are on throttle or off it ticks, heavy braking it still ticks. The only time it stops is when you turn left and load the wheel up.

It sounds almost as if there is a stone stuck in the tyre tread, but I've given the tyre a good look over and there isn't one in there.

This evening I stripped the wheel hub and all the bearings (inner/outer and needle for the cv joint) look in good condition. Greased it all up using the correct grease, reset the floats in the stub axle and CV to the correct amounts and it still ticks.

Anyone got any more ideas before it drives me mad?

the wombat
02-04-12, 22:05
Front caliper hitting on disc?

Steve Webb
03-04-12, 07:19
Front caliper hitting on disc?

I took a good look around whilst I was under the wing for any shiney spots, it doesn't look like anything has been rubbing.

Got a horrible feeling that this one is going to be a bitch to track down.

Steve Webb
28-05-12, 11:31
Right, I think I've finally tracked down the ticking sound. The noise was speed dependant not rpm dependant so obviously something in the drivetrain. I've stripped the hub and checked it all out, checked all the joints in the propshasfts basically checked the whole lot.
Whilst checking the tyres this morning I think I finally spotted the problem. A loose 30g wheel weight. Gave it a prod and it makes the same noise as the ticking noise.

Bloody cars.

Xti
28-05-12, 21:31
Bloody cars.

Yeah, but the alternative is just too hard to immagine, isn't it? :tongue-007:
Glad you've tracked that down.

Steve Webb
29-05-12, 20:27
Glad you've tracked that down.

Relieved is not the word, it was making me paranoid and driving me crazy at the same time. Now the hot weather is here driving around with the window open was a knightmare.
Got some funny looks as well, I guess it was the automotive equivalent to sticking a card in the spokes of your bike as a kid.

Just got all the oil leaks to worry about now, still at least they keep the rust at bay.