PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Q4 exhaust mod!!

jimnielsen
16-03-12, 11:06
I should have done this!!

mpampis_
16-03-12, 11:11
It is working Jim. I am impressed, at afternoon I will post video

wrinx
16-03-12, 18:53
Eh...what is it?

wrinx

mpampis_
16-03-12, 19:05
This is an exhaust control valve

Steve Webb
16-03-12, 19:57
Eh...what is it?

wrinx

Electrically controlled valve that allows you to bypass the exhaust system and open up a straight side exit pipe.

Suzumushi
16-03-12, 22:36
Electrically controlled valve that allows you to bypass the exhaust system and open up a straight side exit pipe.

And what is the point ?:)
good exhaust in my opinion should work and make it's job without such mods.
why for example very powerfull cars has quite silent exhausts....

regards

WS

mpampis_
16-03-12, 23:00
Sorry but I haven't seen any very powerful car tha it is so silent for a trip with family and kids!!! I did this mod for this reason for not changing all exhaust system every time going to a track day or any race, and go a trip with family

Steve Webb
17-03-12, 08:14
And what is the point ?:)
good exhaust in my opinion should work and make it's job without such mods.
why for example very powerfull cars has quite silent exhausts....

regards

WS

Lots of powerfull cars have quiet exhausts at low speeds because they do have some form of exhaust valve. They are usually operated automatically at a certain rpm though.
Ferraris and Corvettes have them for sure.

Its the same reason why some people have switchable ECUs, one map for normal everyday driving, one for when you want more power.

I'd be very interested to see 2 traces from a dyno, one with the valve shut, and one with it open.

mpampis_
17-03-12, 08:27
This can be done with several ways. You can install a wastegate too so when you increase boost when the second wastegate opens, it will open the throttle. As for the dyno, when the throttle is closed you feel that after 1bar boost the engine can't push more because of the high backpressure

wrinx
17-03-12, 11:30
Ahh, I see. I've read and heard clips of the valve opening on Ferraris...never seen one fitted though.

wrinx

mpampis_
17-03-12, 11:34
Yes. Our cars I think they are ferrari too haha. All of them fiat. I know some maserati that they have this valve and it is fitted as stock part, not aftermarket