PDA

View Full Version : 156 2.4 td

magooagain
04-02-12, 11:56
I have the chance of buying a 156 sportswagon. 2.4 turbo diesel on a 2001 plate.
The turbo has gone,so i may get a cheap deal.
I have been in touch with CR Turbo's in the uk.
I gave them the registration number,but they cant come up with a definate turbo.
They say it may be any one of 3 garret turbos.
One of them can be reconditioned at a price of £395 + vat
The other two come in at £675 + vat.
I presume i am going to have to get under it and get the Turbo number.
I know nothing about the 156 td.
If anyone has some input / info please ?
Thanks.

Steve Webb
04-02-12, 12:09
Whats the problem with the Turbo? If its just blown seals/knackered bearings you might be able to get a rebuild kit for it.
Scrappy might be another option, or even a cheap Chinese turbo. Jim was quite impressed with the one he got, well he didn't manage to break it.

I've only driven a 2.4 jtd once or twice, quite impressed me, didn't sound too much like a diesel, the 5 pot makes a good sound, and the engine has loads of torque.

Is the car over here in France? If its cheap, and its just the turbo, you should be able to fix it up, run it a while and still flog it on later for a profit.

magooagain
04-02-12, 13:26
Yep its over here Steve. No tax mot etc. So will have to register it also. Headlights coc. You know the drill Steve.
I will go look in the morning if there is not to much snow.

Steve Webb
04-02-12, 13:42
Ahh the joys of the Sous-Prefecture, Hotel d'impot etc. At least it will be over 10 years old so the first registration fee is half price.
If you do go ahead and get it, I think I've got a copy of the form from Fiat SPA for the CoC. Mind you I think it was @ €115 the last one I got.

magooagain
04-02-12, 16:57
Fiat spa ? It is an Alpha Sportswagon. 156. Or am i being dim ?

Steve Webb
04-02-12, 17:55
It is an Alpha Sportswagon

Thats a hanging offence round here!

I think that all the CoCs are done by the parent company. I'll go dig out the form and check.

wrinx
04-02-12, 23:45
"Alpha" AND "Sportswagon"...go and stand in the corner, one minute for every year of your life ;)

Fiat SPA, being the owner of Alfa Romeo and manufacturer of your Sportwagon...

wrinx

magooagain
05-02-12, 10:43
Ha it's not mine and may well stay that way.
It is just an idea to try and earn a few penny's.
But i dont think it would earn 1 penny really.

Steve Webb
05-02-12, 11:18
If you've got the time and inclination, you'd make far more cash from breaking it for parts. Mind you that means dealing with shitty buyers and getting your hands dirty. Plus you'd need to be mad to get outside stripping a car today.

wrinx
05-02-12, 14:34
If you've got the time and inclination, you'd make far more cash from breaking it for parts.

Agree with Steve...but you have to be prepared to store parts and earn the money over a longer period.

wrinx