PDA

View Full Version : What do you use?

Steve Webb
10-01-12, 10:02
To record video from the car? Previously I've been using a standard camcorder on a suction mount, but I'm hankering after a gopro camera at the moment. They seem to give pretty good quality video and don't cost the earth.
Having the opportunity to record full HD as well as 60fps seems worthwhile.

AlfaJack
10-01-12, 11:11
I use a bullet camera with suction mounts and it feeds in to a MiniDV camera that has an analogue input. Then you have to worry about the sound separately so I have a lo-gain (if have a hi-gain but it heard so much I think it could detect knock!) mic with an amp (powered by 1xAA battery).
To be honest, it is too many wires and too much trouble. Also, only 480 lines - I bought it before HD things were becoming so common.

I got it from this place which I still get email updates from:
http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/DogcamPro.htm

JBSOUND
10-01-12, 17:45
I recommend you Go-Pro. It was simply made for this, with all the adds-on you need for motorsport or any extreme sport you like.
I'm member of a forum and track day group here in Chile, and almost all the cars are equiped with Go-pro.
An other good option is Drift HD.....
http://driftinnovation.com/drift-hd-action-camera/

Steve Webb
10-01-12, 21:49
That Drift HD looks interesting, has a few useful features the gopro is missing, namely an lcd viewfinder. Seems a little more expensive though and more focused on being mounted on the person, not on a car.

There are some interesting comparison videos between the 2 on youtube.

Erring towards a Gopro Hero 2 Motorsports at the moment.

Steve Webb
28-02-12, 22:20
I finally went for the gopro 2 motorsport, the only proble is I've not had much of a chance to play with it yet.
I've only done a few short vids with it when I've been out in the LandRover so no managed to catch anything exciting yet. The only issues are that I don't really like the suction mount much, its strong enough but a little cumbersome. I'm going to try to modify one of the mounts so that I can use it with a regular ball mount from a tripod, then I can use it with my other suction mount.

AlfaJack
28-02-12, 23:17
Look forward to seeing this..what sort of HD can it stretch to? up to 1080p?

Steve Webb
29-02-12, 08:52
Look forward to seeing this..what sort of HD can it stretch to? up to 1080p?

Yep it goes up to Full 1080p, I've only been playing with it at 720p which seems more than enough actually.

Its an interesting piece of kit, where the emphasis is most definitely on quality, not spurious bells and whistles.