PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Third gear

Alfa Patch
05-01-12, 20:20
Last week my car decided it didn't need a third gear anymore. Pretty annoying as I have been using it as my daily driver recently.

I haven't started to think about sorting it properly yet due to work after Xmas but I did see that they sell upgraded 3rd gears for 16v integrale on the walkers website so perhaps it's a known weak point?

Really interested in a longer 5th and new clutch whilst I'm there though, every cloud!

Steve Webb
05-01-12, 20:30
There are a few gearbox upgrades around, including strengthening plates, but what sort of power are you running? Unless you were well north of 300bhp I wouldn't have thought it necessary.

Holzer/hormann used to do a longer 5th gear, I thought about one a while back, but then spoke to an Integrale owner who had one explode on him!!

Alfa Patch
05-01-12, 21:18
It's pretty much standard power at the moment but would love to never have the problem again. If nobody has had similar issues I'll take it that the standard item will be up to the task.

Having fifth explode sounds alarming. The current fifth just isn't long enough for motorway driving and if the box is going to be apart anyway it'd be a shame to leave it wanting. I remember a thread on here where people were discussing longer 5ths from other cars but IIRC no one came up with a definative plan.

wrinx
05-01-12, 22:12
I remember a thread on here where people were discussing longer 5ths from other cars but IIRC no one came up with a definative plan.

Yes, I remember that one, someone posted the wrong part numbers, but the job sounded simple enough.

The right part numbers were found by the person doing the job iirc.

wrinx

wrinx
05-01-12, 22:20
Here it is:

http://forum.berlinasportivo.com/showthread.php?t=1180

wrinx

Steve Webb
31-01-12, 20:30
Last week my car decided it didn't need a third gear anymore. Pretty annoying as I have been using it as my daily driver recently.

I haven't started to think about sorting it properly yet due to work after Xmas but I did see that they sell upgraded 3rd gears for 16v integrale on the walkers website so perhaps it's a known weak point?

Really interested in a longer 5th and new clutch whilst I'm there though, every cloud!

You got this sorted yet Patch? Or have you ammended your driving style to avoid 3rd gear :lol: