PDA

View Full Version : Turbonutter

magooagain
18-12-11, 14:55
Just thought i would post this up. Maybe some have allready seen it. Great work carried out.
http://www.turbonutter.net/

Steve Webb
18-12-11, 19:32
Some cracking work going on there, and brilliant quality too. Mind you, you have to question the sanity of someone who wants that much power in a Stratos replica. After all they aren't renowned for their forgiving handling are they?

turbonutter
18-12-11, 21:54
Sanity??? :eek:
The turbonutter name should give you a clue - but to be honest I had a stratos years ago with 400-450BHP, so this one just had to have that little bit more & the paint job goes with the "slightly crazy" engine...

Yes the stratos con be a handfull, but this one will be one fun drive, just need to avoid wet roads....

as well as the www.turbonutter.net (http://www.turbonutter.net) site, there are a couple of threads...

On piston heads
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=66&t=334246&mid=74720&nmt=What%20Engine%20for%20500BHP

& on alfa bb
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engine-conversions/174020-turbo-3-2-gta-engine-stratos-replica.html

The threads are quite long, as the project has been around for a while - but hope to get it finished for the summer

Cheers
Neil

Steve Webb
19-12-11, 11:17
A little bit of insanity is definitely a good thing. If you weren't mad enough to build it, we wouldn't have the chance to drool over it.

Good luck in getting it finished in time for summer.

magooagain
19-12-11, 19:32
Neil, we meet again on another forum !!! Great work being done and very enjoyable reading.

turbonutter
04-01-12, 00:52
The engine is together now.....

AlfaJack
04-01-12, 00:58
Looking great!

magooagain
04-01-12, 16:40
Excellent Neil. Really coming together now.

turbonutter
20-01-12, 23:23
Excellent Neil. Really coming together now.

The engine is together now, but not in the car, also fitted brakes & brake lines, radiator and all cooling pipes.

More Photos on my site and in the other threads i have

turbonutter
13-05-12, 08:05
I had the engine running on thursday, see video on my site, sounds great in real life, but audio is poor on the video.

Next step it a trip to the rolling road on wednesday.

Cheers
Neil
www.turbonutter.net

Steve Webb
13-05-12, 21:18
Sounding much better by the third start. Good luck at the rolling road. Is it going to be for an initial map or something more powerful?

turbonutter
14-05-12, 08:38
The car is there for a few days, for a base map & some bedding in of the new engine it wont be for full power until i have run the engine in, Having said that there is a 1bar spring in the waste gate, so minimum power will be???

Steve Webb
14-05-12, 22:07
So the running in of the engine won't be too painful then!

turbonutter
17-05-12, 23:45
Changed my Mind - Got them to run the engine in on the dyno - base map and then bedded in on the dyno, then power run - the lower line is on wastegate spring pressure, the second at 1.25 bar. 450 at the wheels, so 505 at the flywheel allowing a 12% transmission loss:):):)http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/21/14/78041421/photos/Power-Graphs/Stratos%20505BHP%201.2bar%20412BHP%200.9%20bar%201 .jpg

Steve Webb
18-05-12, 08:07
And how much does the car weigh again?

Looks like it got that good old-fashioned turbo punch at 3500rpm, should make for an interesting drive to say the least.

For your insanity, I salute you sir.

turbonutter
22-05-12, 22:01
Slightly more on the last run, still well within what the turbo could give, so more is there if I would like....

475HP & 498lb/ft at the wheels
http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/21/14/78041421/photos/undefined/Stratos%20Power%20Torque2.JPG

Steve Webb
25-05-12, 07:47
So whats it like to drive now? Should be nice enough with the way it delivers all that torque.
Wet roundabouts should be interesting.

turbonutter
25-05-12, 07:53
So whats it like to drive now? Should be nice enough with the way it delivers all that torque.
Wet roundabouts should be interesting.

I Wish I Knew, Still have some things to finish off before I can Get the MOT Sorted.... I did give it a quick blast down our street though & It seems to have plenty of GO:thumb:

Steve Webb
25-05-12, 11:48
So it will be road ready for the summer then. Just in time for the heat soak from the engine to to roast you gently.
I'm assuming there was no room to keep the air-con.

turbonutter
25-05-12, 12:39
So it will be road ready for the summer then. Just in time for the heat soak from the engine to to roast you gently.
I'm assuming there was no room to keep the air-con.

Should be on the road soon....., No there was just no way to fit anymore radiators at the front, so no air con:(

on an up note here is the latest video

STRATOS TURBO ENGINE RUNNING - YouTube

Cheers

Steve Webb
25-05-12, 12:51
No wonder you have got a big grin on your face!

Sounds more like a sportsbike than a V6 in that video.

AlfaJack
25-05-12, 13:44
I won't be crossing the road behind you!

Steve Webb
25-05-12, 19:11
I wouldn't worry about your shins Jack, with that much power hes going to be half a mile down the road before you've stepped off the curb.

turbonutter
06-07-12, 03:06
Well turns out you will need to look out for flying bits of gearbox if I drive past you, It only took me 70 miles to reduce 4th gear to toothless coggs
http://d2bm3ljpacyxu8.cloudfront.net/width/358/crop/0,0,358x268/www.turbonutter.net/P6121367.JPG

A few days saw the box rebuilt and a good few more miles under the belt, but I need to find a permenant solution when I get back from work in september...

At the moment that is looking like a Bacci Sequential box, but I need to save for that one......

While it was working I managed to fit in a Photo shoot with PPC and They also have a tyre smoking 0-60... unfortunately they wont let me have the photos or video until after the magazine is out. The article will be in septembers Practical Performance Car.

Preformance wise according to my Stack Tacho, the car has done a best 0-60 time of 3.65 seconds, so its pretty quick:D

Steve Webb
06-07-12, 09:08
That could get pretty expensive if you need a gearbox rebuild every 70 miles or so. But was that 70 miles of standing starts and acceleration runs?
That 0-60 time is pretty damn impressive. You happy with it or do you think (maybe with a new gearbox) you'll be able to go faster.

Did you manage to explore the handling at all in those 70 miles?

turbonutter
06-07-12, 10:10
That could get pretty expensive if you need a gearbox rebuild every 70 miles or so. But was that 70 miles of standing starts and acceleration runs?
That 0-60 time is pretty damn impressive. You happy with it or do you think (maybe with a new gearbox) you'll be able to go faster.

Did you manage to explore the handling at all in those 70 miles?

That was 70 miles of normal driving... not even much full throttle time I think the box got weakened on the rolling road, as it was new and maybe not bedded in propperly or for long enough before having full power applied.

The second set of gears have done 350miles and that included half a dozen or so standing starts......

Having only done a couple of runs on full boost, I would think on a decent surface that there could be an improvement, I now have a goal of 3.5secs.. even if I dont make it any quicker I am very happy with the performance as is.....

turbonutter
02-08-12, 21:41
I Have been looking into sequential boxes for my car, ones that will handle the torque & so Far have found 3 that will cope:
Bacci have said they can make a strong version of their Rc111 Gearbox, Saenz have also said that they can supply a suitable box & Maktrak make a box, although this one will need an adaptor to make it fit.

So three possible options, but all are pretty damn expensive :(

Meanwhile the car will be in PPC next month

Steve Webb
03-08-12, 14:59
I can imagine that beefed up sequential boxes aren't the cheapest of things to get hold of.

Anyone know where you can get hold of a copy of PPC in France?

turbonutter
06-08-12, 10:06
I can imagine that beefed up sequential boxes aren't the cheapest of things to get hold of.

Anyone know where you can get hold of a copy of PPC in France?

I asked the editor & he said that the mag is only sold in english speaking countries... However I bought a copy in Belgium last week from an international magazine shop.
Of course you can get a subscription sent to france, but I guess you only want the one magazine!

Steve Webb
06-08-12, 10:27
Actually I quite like PPC as a magazine, this might be the push I need to order a subscription.
Someone last year brought over a whole load of of back issues, the quirky selection of cars got me hooked.

turbonutter
06-08-12, 17:27
Its the only Magazine I subscribe to, has some good stuff in it!

markgq4
12-08-12, 13:23
thats a heck of a car nutter, top man! :) ... any idea when the mag goes on sale?

turbonutter
23-08-12, 01:46
PPC is on sale the last thursday of the month, so should be out august the 30th

Steve Webb
23-08-12, 22:53
Thanks for the update, time to get my subscription sorted.

turbonutter
28-08-12, 20:36
Thanks for the update, time to get my subscription sorted.

If you didnt manage the subscription, these guys will send you a single copy

http://www.newsstand.co.uk/181-Kit-and-Custom-Magazines/4946-Subscribe-to-PRACTICAL-PERFORMANCE-CAR-Magazine-Subscription.aspx

Steve Webb
28-08-12, 20:46
Parents are coming over on the 31st, so I've instructed them to pick me up a copy.

turbonutter
28-08-12, 23:50
Someone posted me a shot of the cover on piston heads

Steve Webb
04-09-12, 23:49
Well the good news is that the parents arrived with a copy of PPC, the bad news is that its the August edition.
Subscription is now in place!

turbonutter
21-09-12, 21:04
Well the good news is that the parents arrived with a copy of PPC, the bad news is that its the August edition.
Subscription is now in place!

OOPS!

Not to worry I have permission to post the article on my website once the next issue is out, so next weekend.

cheers

Steve Webb
22-09-12, 09:57
Not a problem for me, I got sent the correct copy when my parents got home. Good article.

turbonutter
05-10-12, 08:45
For those that havent seen the magazine , I have a copy of the "Stratos Fear" article on my website.

http://www.turbonutter.net/ppc-article

Steve Webb
05-10-12, 22:38
That car is a mixture of genius and lunacy. Perfect :clap:

turbonutter
03-03-13, 13:18
That car is a mixture of genius and lunacy. Perfect :clap:

We the car is finally back on the road, with a new gearbox - in the end the budget didnt stretch to a sequential race box, so I have a Toota E153 box from the MR2 Turbo....

Its done 100miles so far and no issues, so the conversion went well... The last few miles i wound the boost up to full & its quick!

see below 0-60 in 3.4 seconds

2nd Gear Start

ken155
05-03-13, 21:51
That is mental. Love it! Top work:clap::clap:

Xti
09-03-13, 10:10
Great work, great results. Enjoy ithe car as much as you can, life's short. Congrats!

Cris

turbonutter
04-04-13, 22:50
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j446/turbonutter_neil/AET/ONDYNO.jpg

Here is a video of it on the Dyno at AET MOTORSPORT With 492 WHP (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152712787705156&set=vb.200972826655095&type=2&theater)

Steve Webb
06-04-13, 22:19
2 things.

Firstly that thing is awesome.

Secondly, boy have rolling roads changed since I last went to one.

turbonutter
07-04-13, 00:15
2 things.

Firstly that thing is awesome.

Secondly, boy have rolling roads changed since I last went to one.

Cheers :)

I believe the correct term for this type of system is a hub dyno. Much safer than a traditional rolling road as there is no chance of the car falling off! Also no tyre slip, so more accurate? it isnt possible to do a coast down to work out the transmission losses though, so flywheel figures need to be estimated. Its wheel horsepower that counts anyway, so its not a big deal. There is also no tyre wear!

turbonutter
28-04-13, 23:46
I have finally had the car on track - Blyton Park Yesterday...

Had a great day testing out the car:)

Video Here:

stratos at blyton - YouTube

Blyton Park Spin - YouTube

turbonutter
12-09-14, 03:44
Well Its been a while since i posted here - Over a year and most of that year the car has been in pieces & actually still is ...

A track day in August ended with a blown head gasket caused by detonation grr Possibly due to insufficient coolant flow, but more likely due to the mapping...

It wasnt bad Det, but wrecked a couple of pistons, so not a cheap rebuild. There were a few other modifications that I had on my list, so it was decided to do those first.

So the New Larger Fuel Tank is installed,

I have fabricated a new gear lever, as the MR2 one was not very good,

the Craig Davis pumps have been Binned & a nice Stewart components pump installed, along with fitting back the mechanical pump and fitting a remote thermostat at the front.

I have also for various reasons removed the Haltech ECU and am fitting an AEM Infinity 8 ECU which has much better logging than the Haltech, more inputs, has dual Lambda & knock control, as well as onboard traction control..

The engine has now been Rebuilt, with new pistons and once I am home from work next month the plan is to get it mapped.....

The liners have been o-ringed not to try and hold the det, but just to help the gasket seal.

I have also gone back to COP ignition, but Using VAG coils, as I cant fit the Alfa ones due to the charge cooler & re-located plenum..

So quite a lot has been happening - looking forward to getting it back on the road again :smile:

wrinx
12-09-14, 19:24
Very nice indeed :cool:

wrinx

turbonutter
27-11-14, 09:04
Engine is running again on the new ECU now, all looking good for tuning in a couple of weeks time.

http://vid1086.photobucket.com/albums/j446/turbonutter_neil/AEM%20INFINITY%20TUNING/first%20start.mp4