PDA

View Full Version : 166 Brembo caliper brackets.

Steve Webb
14-12-11, 20:58
Hi all, I've just had another email asking where to get the mounting brackets for the 166 Brembo calipers.
Just out of interest, how many of you out there are looking for the brackets, or might be looking for the brackets in the future?

Cheers

Suzumushi
15-12-11, 08:55
Hi all, I've just had another email asking where to get the mounting brackets for the 166 Brembo calipers.
Just out of interest, how many of you out there are looking for the brackets, or might be looking for the brackets in the future?

Cheers

i'm looking for a set of two (for two cars)

regards
W

Brul(tm)
15-12-11, 09:07
For now I don't know what I am going to do with the brakes.
Haven't made up my mind what kind of big brake solution I want.

Maybe in the near future, but in the Netherlands there is somebody who makes these brackets regularly.

Integrale
15-12-11, 20:55
I am after a pair of brackets

fochista
20-12-11, 11:48
Hi all!

As I've the calipers already I'm basically interested... :wave:

But I've one doubt:
I've also got the original bolts to the 166 brembo calipers and made some measurements concerning the lenght of the bolts.
I found out that the bolts are only long enough for a bracket that has a thickness of about 14mm (max. 15mm).....

The bracket of aluminium 7075 (the drawings are around here in another thread) has a thickness of 20mm. This means, that you will have to use longer bolts either, or you have to make the bracket thinner... :thinking-011:

Longer bolts are not available everywhere...
If you make the bracket thinner, does it sustain the load???

Or should it be made of steel then?!?
But steel is much more heavy... :thinking-011:

Saluti, Martin

peter holst
06-01-12, 09:54
any news about the thickness-problem?

wrinx
06-01-12, 23:49
UK owners are using steel 10mm brackets and spacers...no problems whatsoever.

wrinx

fochista
09-01-12, 08:52
First of all: No news on the thickness problem yet.

I thought about making it out of steel instead of aluminium and make it just about 14mm or 15mm thick. Instead of 20mm.

First of all I'll make the bracket out of wood to check the fitment, next time (January or February).

Wrinx, are the spacers you are using with your 10mm brackets about 5mm thick???
If yes, that would match my intentions.

Best regrads!

Martin

fochista
13-08-12, 21:46
Hi all!

It's time for an update here, isn't it?!?

First of all: The brackets have a thickness of 20mm.
I made the brackets out of wood first and checked the fitment, also with the wheels (TSW EVO 7,5J x 16 ET 35).

Take a look!

:ThisThreadIsWorthle

Tanti saluti, fochista.

fochista
13-08-12, 21:49
I was forced to mod the calipers in order not to touch the rims.

fochista
13-08-12, 21:51
I made a drawing of the brackets and searched for a company who could make the brackets for me. I found it. In the meantime I painted the calipers with black brake-caliper-paint.

The brackets are made out of "Vergütungsstahl V 320 42Cr Mo4" and i finished them using an epoxy primer and black paint.

fochista
13-08-12, 21:54
I mounted the brackets with the original bolts (with new washers) from the standard calipers (105Nm).
Then the brake discs and then the brembo calipers to the brackets with bolts M14 x 1,5 x 45 steel 10.9 plus two washers with a thickness of about 3.5mm for each bolt (150Nm).

fochista
13-08-12, 21:57
The calipers fit great and are exactly in the center of the brake discs.

I can order some more of these brackets if somebody of you is interested to buy a pair. Please have a look at "Classified" --> "Brackets for Alfa 166 brembo 4-pot calipers on a 155 Q4 and V6"

santino
14-08-12, 20:40
Nice!:happy:

Only one suggestion!

My recommendation is to put bigger brake master cylinder also!

Difference is not small: 22.2 (155) comparing with 25.4mm (166)

Shorter and nicer feeling on brake pedal.

Steve Webb
14-08-12, 21:03
What brake disks are you using there? (166\coupe?)

santino
14-08-12, 21:38
Alfa Mito, very similar like coupe.

hf hpe
17-08-12, 08:31
I see in last picture that the pads are not within the brake disc.
We discuss it. The disc will over heating.

Integrale
17-08-12, 09:46
I want brackets, but i have 147 GTA brembo brakes witch is 305mm. Is they the same as 166 caliper?

fochista
23-08-12, 15:31
Thanks for your suggestion!

I also think this could be a good mod, because the way of the brake pedal is longer since installing the "brembos"...

My recommendation is to put bigger brake master cylinder also!

fochista
23-08-12, 15:35
I'm using the discs from the coupe Fiat 20VT.
166 doesn't fit because of 5 studs and different bolt circle (108mm) but surely they would fit better to the brake pads. I'll post pics later on.

What brake disks are you using there? (166coupe?)

fochista
23-08-12, 15:53
Alfa Mito, very similar like coupe.

Yes, there are small differences and probably the Mito discs fit better, because the measurement H is smaller... maybe the surface for the brake pads is bigger then?!?

First PIC is the "Coupe disc", second is the Mito disc...

Measurement D is also different, but it's only 0.1mm.

fochista
23-08-12, 15:59
I want brackets, but i have 147 GTA brembo brakes witch is 305mm. Is they the same as 166 caliper?

No. I'm 99 percent sure, that they are NOT THE SAME. You'll need to make other brackets for 147 GTA calipers.

These brackets fit only on 155 Q4 and V6 with the 4-pot Calipers from AR 166 V6 and the brake discs from the Coupe Fiat 20VT!!!
Maybe also with the Brake discs from Mito TB but this is not tested!!!

fochista
23-08-12, 16:42
I see in last picture that the pads are not within the brake disc.
We discuss it. The disc will over heating.

Yes, I'd like to discuss it. I made some additional photos:

At the first picture you can see, that the brake pad overlaps the inner shape of the disc surface of about 4 or 5 mm (Thats why I wrote "...probably the Mito discs fit better..." in post no. 21).
At the 2nd, 3rd and the 4th pic you can see, that the calipers are near to the disc in order to fit the 16" rims. Thats also the reason for the mod of the calipers which you can see on the pics at post no. 10 of this thread.
There is hardly no overlapping of the pads at the outer shape of the discs.

The other two pics should give an Idea of the wear of discs after about 1500km "hard road use" on the edge of the austrian alps (up and down between 400m and 900m over the see:driving-014::icon_wink:. No highway. No track use, till yet. But on the coming Sunday...:biggrin:

I had no problems with overheating till now, except some smoke coming from the brakes at stopping after about 7km "downhill". It was so less that I wouldn't have seen it during moving on.

Best regards, Martin

fochista
23-08-12, 17:17
Another extension:

The calipers before the modification of post no. 10. I just used a grinder...

Best regards, Martin

hf hpe
23-08-12, 21:15
I miss post N10
Yes with this mod it is possible to fit pad right.

fochista
26-08-12, 18:12
I miss post N10
Yes with this mod it is possible to fit pad right.

You do not see the post number 10 of this thread?!? Or just the fotos of the post?

The TrackDay is over. :driving-014: My Q4 has done it well. Also the Brakes were fine all the time... NO OVERHEATING of them!

BTW: At the end of the day the servo pump is nearly dead (I think it overheated)
and I'm afraid I'll have to buy new tyres soon...:E :thinking-011: :biggrin:

Best regards, Martin

Da_Fuse
22-09-12, 10:19
Hi, I'm new here, and that's my first post. I like the forum very much, i think that it's very helpful.

So here it is my question. Why didn't you mod the schenk holes (the ones that the caliper bolts on), because they're made of iron which is stronger then the aluminium of the calipers?

Steve Webb
23-09-12, 09:44
Hi, I'm new here, and that's my first post. I like the forum very much, i think that it's very helpful.

So here it is my question. Why didn't you mod the schenk holes (the ones that the caliper bolts on), because they're made of iron which is stronger then the aluminium of the calipers?

Do you mean modify the holes on the hub to fit the new calipers?
Part of the reason for these brackets is to enable the use of larger disks, so the calipers need to be moved further out from the hub. (305mm disks usually instead of the regular 284mm)

Da_Fuse
23-09-12, 10:29
No, no, I didn't mean to modify the holes of the hub. I ment that for me when you use the 166 calipers it safer not to modify the caliper, which is made of aluminium(like the colegue did in post #10), but to modify the holes on the schenk for the old caliper , because the schenk it's made of iron, and it is stronger. :)

fochista
23-09-12, 15:17
Hi!

Sorry, I don't know what you mean with...

to modify the holes on the schenk for the old caliper

Could you please try to explain it with other words, or pics probably?!?

BTW: I made this mod of the brembo calipers in order to fit under 16" rims.
It would have been also possible to make brackets which need NO mod of calipers and NO mod of the hub, but then they wouldn't fit under 16" rims because the calipers would be a little more (about 4mm radial) outside of the wheel center (and the brake disc, of course).

Best regards, Martin

Da_Fuse
24-09-12, 06:58
Ok, so there is a misunderstanding.... :)

For me schenk is the part on which holds on the shock absorber, the loin and the rake thаt you turn with, and hub is the spinning part with the holes that you bolt the brake disc and after that the wheel... so.... Maybe Hub for you and schenk for me is the same part... or I'm wrong...:gayx:

I ment that for me it's safer to mode the holes of the HUB/schenk that you mount the bracket for the new caliper ), than to mode the caliper which is made from aluminium... Now I'll post an image to be clear... :)

Photo... http://dafuse.snimka.bg/automobiles/alfa-remont.364084.28535076.big

fochista
25-09-12, 19:57
Hi!

So, it's clear now. As we say an austria: "One picture tells more than 1000 words"... Thanks!

Yes, it would have been possible to modify the hub/schenk and probably it would have been the safer way. But I'm not that sure...
I decided to modify the calipers because of three reasons:
- The left material around the holes of the hub/schenk would have been very thin after modification.
- A modification out of the car seems always easier to me. I had the calipers out and not the hubs/schenks.
- As you can see at the pictures of post #10 the material of the caliper around the 2 holes is hardly affected. Just the material between.

And there is no problem during use of the car till yet.

I had the complete breakes out of the car last week and inspected all components of it. Everything is fine, went back to the car and works well.

Best regards,

Martin

Da_Fuse
25-09-12, 20:56
Thanks for the reply, i'm still considering of moding the schenk instead of the calipers, because of the reasons that I've submited before and because of one other reason - here in BG these schenk's are much cheaper then the 166 brembo calipers, and it would be easier for me to buy new schenks than to buy a new celipers... Or maybe I'll mod a little bit of both... :)

P.S. Fochista, I've asked you at your other thread about the brackets, for a drawing or at least a dimentions... if you please, I'd be glad if you post these. :) Thanks in advance! :)

wrinx
25-09-12, 22:51
I'm sure a link to the brackets has been posted before...I'll have a search.

wrinx

wrinx
25-09-12, 23:04
Both bracket drawing that I'm aware of are linked in this thread:

http://forum.berlinasportivo.com/showthread.php?t=1955

But I'm not sure if the more complex design is the one used by Fochista???

wrinx

Da_Fuse
25-09-12, 23:09
I have a detailed drawings of these that you've posted wrinx, an unfortunately they are not the ones that Fochista uses. His brackets are the right ones and are better then these from the many threds through the internet. :)

P.S. Though thank you for the post wrinx. :)

wrinx
26-09-12, 08:11
No worries :) Wasn't sure they were the same anyway :roll:

wrinx

fochista
02-10-12, 08:32
Hi all!

It costed me an arm and a leg (of time) to get this design. Therefore I don't like to upload the drawing anywhere to the internet, sorry. :lipsrsealed:

I can and WILL give you support with your own design... here we go...

My brackets are based on the drawing which is already known here in the forum and also in this thread. It looks almost similar...

The axial offset between the mounting surface of the shenk and the surface of the bracket is 8,7mm That's why I used 20mm thickness of the brackets, because they are about 11mm thick then. That's almost the same thickness as the flaps on the shenk have and it's enough for the thread M12x1,25 in steel.

The radial offset between the holes of the shenk and the holes for the caliper ist 16.5mm If you would like to use 16" rims, you are forced to use this measurements. If you use 17" rims you may design brackets with about 21mm radial offset instead of 16.5mm, as you have place enough... Then you need not to modify the calipers or the shenk. But maybe you can use 330mm disks (from lancia delta 3) then and make brackets for these discs... :thinking-011:

Now to the shenk modification:
I think it's not a good idea, because you would have to cut metal at the red lines and maybe also at the yellow line... At the red line you would weaken the thickness of the flaps at about half to the normal measurement... At the yellow line you would weaken the housing of the wheel bearing... :eek:

:smile::smile::smile: Please note:
- The "original black speedlines" need a 25mm spacer (at each side)!!! Then it looks like on the 3rd picture. And I drive a negative camber of 2.5 degrees on the front axle!!!
- OZ Superturismo GT 7Jx16 does only fit with 15mm spacer!!!

By the way: This bracket also fits the 155 V6

With best regards, Martin