PDA

View Full Version : putting it back together..(again..)

jimnielsen
24-02-11, 05:32
I have started to put the engine back together again..The new one is the one with the new core plugs on the right of the first picture..

I have removed the balance shaft oil gallery plugs from the old engine and reinstalled them in the new block.

Next I filed out the bolt hole on the oil squirters so that they can be rotated a little further around to avoid them hitting the bottom of the pistons (again..). I still need to check that this actually works and does not make them hit something else.

There is not much else I can do until I receive my delivery of gaskets and bearings via the 'royal mail'.

Steve Webb
24-02-11, 07:36
Good luck with the rebuild Jim, oh and with the Royal mail delivery.

juamin
24-02-11, 10:47
Great job, good luck!

SteveNZ
24-02-11, 12:10
Did you use your other Q4 block in the end?

jimnielsen
25-02-11, 00:39
yes, steve - I did. I decided that as I had a spare block that I had better use it. Also, you have educated me on other sources for a block than the obvious Q4/Intergrale/Coupe choices. So I will keep my eye out for one, and probably try actively to get one when I have this car going again.

jim.

SteveNZ
26-02-11, 12:05
Sure anytime, but you don't want to be doing it again do you Jim?

Steve Webb
04-03-11, 08:29
Hows it all going Jim? Things going back together OK or is it behaving like a Q4 and throwing up loads of unforeseen probs?

Brul(tm)
04-03-11, 13:59
or is it behaving like a Q4 and throwing up loads of unforeseen probs?

We only ar familiar with unforseen challanges aren't we :icon_wink:

Regards,
Marc

jimnielsen
05-03-11, 07:13
Steve.. the unforeseen problem has been the British Postal Service.. but they have finally decided to send me my bits and pieces - thus I have commenced to put the engine back together!

I have rotated the oil squirters around a little so that they don't hit the pistons (anymore...) you can see in one of the pics the little mark on the piston inside that the squirter was making. Also you can see some other marks where one of the squirters broke off and was happily bouncing around in there..

I hope it all goes together smoothly! The pistons seemed to go in fine, clearances look ok..

jim~

Steve Webb
05-03-11, 09:09
Ahhh the Royal Mail. That explains everything.
Good luck now you have got everything.

jimnielsen
06-03-11, 06:02
made a bit more progress today.. head back on tomorrow, if all goes well!

santino
06-03-11, 09:37
Nice work Jim, keep it up! :)

SteveNZ
06-03-11, 13:37
How awesome, an engine crane to fit a head!

Brul(tm)
06-03-11, 15:32
How awesome, an engine crane to fit a head!

You forgot the awsome "garage" to work in:thumbsup:

Regards,
Marc

jimnielsen
07-03-11, 07:06
That's nothing Steve..I only used the engine crane to move it over to the block and tackle so that it can be lowered onto the block. I like to do it this way because it has very fine control over its position.. much better than the crane. I have cut the heads off from a couple of old oem bolts so I can use it as a guide system for lowing the head onto the block! You can see the five layers of the MLS gasket I am using.

Almost done now just a few 'odds and sods' then I will take the complete system.

today I..

put on the head.
put on the timing belt etc.
put on the center diff.

tomorrow its time for the gearbox.. not my favorite part of the ballet..

jimnielsen
07-03-11, 07:07
and one more...

jimnielsen
08-03-11, 06:28
Put the gearbox on today.. Always takes a lot of 'setup'..

I use a camera and a small hole in the bell housing so that I can actually see when the clutch lever arms have engaged properly in the throwout bearing.

Now I just have put the starter motor back on and the engine can go back in the car!!!

jimnielsen
09-03-11, 06:07
Finally.. the engine is back in the car! Pretty easy to put it in this way, but still time consuming...Also attached the drive shafts and put that massive crossmember on again!

Tomorrow its wishbones, exhaust, radiator, then it will almost be ready for a first start test!

Steve Webb
09-03-11, 08:02
Good work there Jim, certainly looks like everything has gone to plan, and that car lift looks bloody useful.

jimnielsen
11-03-11, 06:08
That's it - its finished! Well as far as I can tell without a test run... It fired right up though so I ran it up to temp in about 15 minutes than let it cool down and changed the oil.

I am planning to take it to a drag race track quite close to where I live and test it on Monday.

Then we will see then if it is going as its supposed to!

I cant believe how time consuming reconstructing it has been. It has taken me at least 25 hours to get it from a bare block to back in the car running again.

jim..

Steve Webb
11-03-11, 07:34
Good work Jim, nothing left over at the end I hope, not spare bolts etc?

Fingers crossed for the shakedown.

jimnielsen
11-03-11, 08:31
no, all bolts present and accounted for. But now the datalogger has gone haywire - and I can't take the car to a track with out it! Hopefully tomorrow I can sort that too..

juamin
11-03-11, 21:29
good job!! keep us updated!!

jimnielsen
25-03-11, 09:59
I gave the 'new' engine the dreaded compression test (well at least I dread them!) Anyway it was spot on 200 PSI for each cylinder. So I am pleased about that....

Fixed the datalogger, changed the mineral oil that we used for bed-in to synthetic oil - and it is ready to go to Phillip Island next weekend!!

Steve Webb
29-03-11, 08:27
Good luck at Philip Island, nice work with the compression as well. Did the rebuild throw up any other problems?

jimnielsen
29-03-11, 09:31
No, Steve, it all seemed to go pretty much according to plan. The only 'problem' that I really have left to deal with is a 'ripple' in the boost level of about .05 bar every .3 of a second. I haven't mentioned it because its really an interaction between the Autronic SM4 and my waste gate actuator -but it is a tad annoying because it means that I cannot set the boost level exactly as high as i would like..because on the tiny peaks of the ripple boost goes over 1.4 bar and I want to keep it in the 1.3's even if that is 1.399...

but I hope that i can sort it out this weekend as I should get a lot of runs and I now have two dataloggers to collect the data.

I have put a physical switch in the car so that I can switch between the controlled boost and base boost (which is 1.15 bar in my car) - that should be useful. i have also managed to connect the hall effect sensor that drives the standard speedo to the Autronic so that the device know how fast the car is traveling and so that i can configure boost levels in different gears.

for anyone that is interested the standard hall effect sensor in a Q4 is 0.067 pulses per Kph!

jim