PDA

View Full Version : Additives

Steve Webb
21-02-11, 10:04
Sticking this in the general thread as I guess it is applicable to all cars.
What do you guys think of oil/fluid additives? I'm not a big fan but have used Extralube ZX1 in the past.
It claims it can be used in all oils as well as the cooling system. It did see to cure a water pump squeal but that could just have been wishful thinking.

So has anyone else used it, or anything similar?

mindus
21-02-11, 21:06
In general oil additives are crap, waste of money also. I have not seen a testing lab who would claim they rocommended to use oil additives.

If you eliminate anonymous testing labs (marketing people claims "...tested in a lab..."), the rest say - please do not use if you don't want to make a harm to your engine. It clogs the oil channels, clogs the filter, etc. (thus a classic claim 'increased oil pressure' in a worn engine...)

There is a article flying around the net with more or less scientific info in it. In the testing environment proved that engine that was filled with those additives dies faster than the one who did not (note whether testing is done showing difference between additives or difference between an engine with an additive vs without).

Steve Webb
21-02-11, 21:43
I agree with all the parts about clogging for the normal additives, slick 50 etc as they tend to use Teflon ,P.T.F.E or Molybdenum all of which can build up and cause restrictions in the engine.
ZX-1 contains Zinc dithiophosphate, which is already in motor oil. The zinc compound attaches itself to the metal at temps above 60c and acts as an anti-scuff layer. Obviously in the engine if you have metal on metal contact you are already stuffed, but it could help to protect the oil pump, water pump etc.

Zinc dithiophosphate, is not good for the catalytic converter which is why it has been reduced in oil in recent years. I used this whilst running without a Cat so wasn't particularly bothered.

Like I said it did seem to cure a couple of squeaks and grumbles when I used it last, several years ago.