PDA

View Full Version : Turbo pictures from my projects

23-04-10, 21:35
Hi all,

Since we have been discussing turbochargers lot recently I will post some pictures of two of my projects. First the one I have used for a while and have upgarded a lot.

- Turbine inlet showing adapter-ring T3 -> Volvo flange
- Close up picture x 2 of adapter ring
- A "tounge" screening the wastegate inlet unwanted decreasing pulse-openings
- Hand made ported shroud

At the moment the project is to shorten the tounge since the boost is "unstopable" above 5000 rpm ....

23-04-10, 21:40
And some picture of a KKK twin scoll from an OPEL GT. Unfortunately the turbine stops (choke) at 280 hp, maybe not forever :)

AS you can see it has internal dump valve (but it is not a dump valve when it is internal...)

The big challenge, I guess, is the stupid geometry of especially the turbin inlet.

Q4Jan
24-04-10, 22:05
Top one looks nice! (td04hl-19T ?)
I like the sealing for the volvo flange.

So using the internal dump valve is not wanted on our cars.
What do you mean by unstopable boost above 5000rpm. Nothing a blowoff valve would cure?

26-04-10, 06:07
Well, the turbo is originally made as an update for S69/V70 R which has a KKK K24, but the TD04-19T has the same flange etc.

The internal boost drive / dump valve is probably a good solution, but it makes the compressor bigger and maybe more complicated to fit in to the messy Q4 engine room.

Unstoppable above 5000 rpm = wategate fully open and boost rushes against 1,5 bar. A blowoff valve is not meant to be used for regulation, only for safety. It opens at the pressure peaks that comes at throttle lift of, as you probably know.