PDA

View Full Version : Forgot to introduce...

wrinx
06-04-10, 13:43
...my toy monster!

Unfortunately the weather has been so bad here I haven't taken any decent pics yet, but this was taken on the ferry, bringing it into the UK :)
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/wrinx/Alfa%20SZ%20ES30/SZ2.jpg

wrinx

arjunior45
06-04-10, 15:01
more pictures please!!!

Brul(tm)
06-04-10, 15:09
Go out and play Wrinx, don't forget your camera to make some nice pictures ;)

Regards,
Marc

Juan AR155Q4
06-04-10, 20:08
Congrats!!!
Nice car to have.

Xti
06-04-10, 22:06
Woooooohaaaaaaah...mamma mia !!!:cool:

Barely wait for more pics and details.

Cheers,
Cristian.

wrinx
06-04-10, 23:25
Thanks guys :cool:

I've lusted after one of these for about fifteen years now...consider myself very lucky to have one at last :smoke::cheers:

Will post more pics when I have them...

wrinx

arjunior45
07-04-10, 10:35
There is a yellow RZ in my birth town and I hope finally to convince him to sell it to me. But it's more than 2 years now going back and forth.

Q4-Dave
07-04-10, 18:59
Congrats man, lovely car :)

regards

Q4Jan
10-04-10, 00:30
Congrats!

Be carefull with your windows and headlights. :8

AlfaJack
10-04-10, 17:09
Looks like it has the protector senses in place :cool:

wrinx
10-04-10, 21:32
Yup, it's got some little squares of hard plastic on the lenses....not pretty but easier than trying to find replacements :roll:

wrinx

Evodelta
10-04-10, 22:38
I'm sooo jealous! I've always had a thing about these.

I'd really like to hear the story behind it and what you think of it too.

AlfaJack
11-04-10, 00:19
The weather has been nice this weekend so we are expecting better pics :)

wrinx
11-04-10, 09:15
:lol:

I might be able to get a couple today, still busy trying to sort the garage to get both the SZ and Q4 in...it's been a long job! :eek:

wrinx

Evodelta
11-04-10, 20:35
The weather has been nice this weekend so we are expecting better pics :)

Nah, I've seen loads of pics and a few in the flesh, I want to know the story and what it is like to own and drive!

wrinx
11-04-10, 21:37
Ok....you asked for it :lol:

Realised a while ago that the Matta was becoming less fun to drive as the years passed, then it dawned on me one day that selling the old beasty meant I'd be well on the way to financing an SZ...a car I've lusted after for the last fifteen years, but never once thought I'd ever own!

Once the Matta was sold and the shortfall scraped together, the search began. I contacted the AROC (UK) Registrar who sent an email out to those on his list, asking if anyone was contemplating selling.

I received two responses from people selling and one from a possible, but reluctant future sale. Having made contact with all three it transpired the reluctant one managed to happily keep their SZ. The second was a heavily modified car which sounded great on paper but I was after a standard car, SZ parts are hard enough to find without making them bespoke!

The third car was for sale but had not yet been advertised, it was/is a low mileage example, reported to need minor work but otherwise in excellent condition. Many emails were exchanged over the next few weeks before SWiMBO and I booked a (very expensive!) weekend trip to the Isle of Man.

In typical form for me (did the same with the Matta), to try and reduce costs it was necessary to plan the trip as if buying the car (with ferry ticket), but then have a back up plan if returning without it....which consisted of planning to book trains on our return to the UK :roll:

So, straight to the owner's house, viewed the car, took a leisurely test drive on part of the TT route, marvelling at how fast my Host reported the bikes go around some of the bends. After a brief bit of haggling the deed was done...but it was never in question really!

We then parked the car in the underground car park and enjoyed the rest of the weekend on the Island...regularly popping back like a new Father, to check the baby was still ok! Travelling back on the ferry was rather stressful, leaving the car parked on an incline as the ferry rolled around. Thankfully the crossing was very calm, alarms on the cars all around were going off...but not the SZ :)

The drive back from Liverpool to Derbyshire (c.100 miles) was wonderful learning experience. I promised myself we would have a nice gentle drive back...sadly my right foot won't allow that! The noise is sooooo addictive; and the power is pretty good, particularly at *cough* motorway speeds.

Driving position is a little uncomfortable as I'm nearly 6ft and the cabin isn't, I'll find the right position for me soon enough but it could just be that I'm not used to lying so horizontal in a car.

However a stiff neck is soon forgotten thanks to the the driving experience. So far the three hundred or so miles covered has mainly consisted of high speed cruising and the occasional flick into a sharp corner or two....but it's been enough for me to realise how these things can handle! With the active suspension on, I took a motorway ramp at a *reasonable* speed, expecting to lean in as you do...but nothing, totally flat!

But in the wet, care is needed....second time out the roads were a little damp. Reversed onto the road outside out house and dropped it into first to take off...and the rears lit up :lol::eek::cool:

...and that engine!!! I've previously owned a 155 2.5 V6 and did something like 30k wonderful miles in it, but this is in another world! The sound, the torque and the power....it pulls from nothing in fifth and just keeps going. But it's deceptive and doesn't seem that fast, until the higher revs, when it flies. The gruff warble slowly builds (the addictive part!) and the tone increases in pitch to a metallic wail at around 4-5k revs (haven't dared take it al the way yet!).

Overall I am absolutely ecstatic that I've got an SZ, as mentioned earlier, it was a car I never considered owning as it was perceived as being out of reach, so I feel very lucky and privileged to have one, for however long it may be :)

I've got a lot of learning to do with the car, including it's handling, but so far....10/10 imho! :cool:

wrinx

Q4Jan
11-04-10, 22:17
Enjoy it!

Sounds great.

Xti
11-04-10, 22:37
15 years it's a long time but you have confirmed that good things comes to those who wait. I'm glad for you and wish you good luck with your beautiful SZ.:smile:

Cheers,
C.

wrinx
11-04-10, 22:55
Thank you :)

wrinx

RMB-Racing
13-04-10, 07:44
That is so GREAT!

Nice story - I can relate to the part, where you are going home with the baby, still hoping is gonna be in one piece...:smile:

You are blessed to be a owner of that car - I?m envy you (the good way):cool:

Now - pics, please!

Brul(tm)
13-04-10, 11:07
Come on then Wrinx....

http://www.suspendedlaunch.com/dl/this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

:biggrin:

Regards,
Marc

wrinx
13-04-10, 12:25
:redface: Will get some pics up as soon possible, in fact I'm off to Spring Alfa Day on Sunday so should have some from there, looking all shiny :cool:

wrinx

Evodelta
13-04-10, 23:27
Be careful where you park it:

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/13042010/36/eight-tonne-boulder-falls-car-0.html

:eek:

wrinx
13-04-10, 23:53
:lol: That story has appeared on 155.org too...thankfully I don't live near that part of Derbyshire :eek:

wrinx

wrinx
18-04-10, 18:23
Just got back from Spring Alfa Day in the UK, an amazing six SZs turned up....

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/wrinx/SpAD_BurghleyHouse_2010/SpringAlfaDayBurghleyHouse180410002.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/wrinx/SpAD_BurghleyHouse_2010/SpringAlfaDayBurghleyHouse180410035.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/wrinx/SpAD_BurghleyHouse_2010/SpringAlfaDayBurghleyHouse180410005.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/wrinx/SpAD_BurghleyHouse_2010/SpringAlfaDayBurghleyHouse180410037.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/wrinx/SpAD_BurghleyHouse_2010/SpringAlfaDayBurghleyHouse180410016.jpg

wrinx

AlfaJack
18-04-10, 19:20
Tis a very cool car...looks great in the flesh too :D

Brul(tm)
18-04-10, 21:19
Lovely car Wrinx :cool:
ONe for the wish list ;)

Regards,
Marc

Q4Jan
18-04-10, 21:22
Nice!

Was yours the only double-eyed one?

:tapedshut::tapedshut::tapedshut: :tapedshut::tapedshut::tapedshut:

markgq4
19-04-10, 22:00
very nice car mr wrinx, and a more than worthy successor to the matta . . :thumbs:
but i bet the q4 gets neglected now lol

wrinx
20-04-10, 20:11
Nice!

Was yours the only double-eyed one?

You mean the plastic lens covers, yes mine was the only one although I've seen others like it? Not the nicest things but a necessity I think :tapedshut::doh:

Steve

wrinx
20-04-10, 20:17
very nice car mr wrinx, and a more than worthy successor to the matta . . :thumbs:
but i bet the q4 gets neglected now lol

Yes, I think it fills the Matta's shoes more than once over :lol:

Q4 is sadly SORN'd now as it needs some work :roll:

Steve