PDA

View Full Version : Q4 oil thermostat

alfacorse155
10-12-09, 12:14
Hi guys!

I have an oil temperatur problem at my black Alfa 155 Q4!

If i drive the car slow the peak temperature i reach is nearly 70?C, if i drive faster then it goes up to 80?C. It seems to me, that my oil thermostat isn`t working and that the oil goes always through the oil cooler!

I spoke with my Fiat parts dealer, but this thermostat isn't available.
Although it is the same thermostat which is mounted in all Lancia Delta, Fiat Coupe 16V, Fiat Tempra TD, Tipo TD.... i didn't find a new one.

Does anyone of you know, where i can order a new thermostat? Or has anyone another solution for me?

Thank`s for you help!

Chris

wrinx
10-12-09, 18:20
Do you know what the temperature should read...I wouldn't be worried about that to be honest, sounds ok?

What is the water temp reading?

wrinx

alfacorse155
10-12-09, 19:32
Hi Wrinx!

The water thermostat is only one year old and works like it should!

So the water temperature goes up fast to 80?C and keeps there. When it stands still after driving it goes up until 90?C and then the radiator starts.

Do you think the oil temperature is okay? Which temperature do you have by your Q4?

Two weeks ago i changed the oil and also mounted a used oil thermostat from a Fiat Tempra TD, but only with less success!

Yours Chris!

wrinx
10-12-09, 19:50
Do you think the oil temperature is okay? Which temperature do you have by your Q4?

I can't remember exactly what my oil does as I don't drive the car very often :redface: But 70-80 sounds ok to me....but wait for someone else to confirm before belieiving me!

Overheating oil isn't good, but neither do you want it too cold and thick.

Edit: Quick internet search reckons around 80-90 is ideal...so you're not far off (and the gauge could be reading wrongly!), what does everyone else think?

wrinx

mindus
11-12-09, 19:20
70-80 sounds for me to be the right temperature range.
I agree with wrinx, overheating (oil) is what would kill your engine instantly.

Brul(tm)
11-12-09, 19:38
Temp sensor for the oil is a sensor that breaks quite often.
Normal temp schould be around 80C when driving along with traffic.
Driving a bit sporty, the temp should raise to 100C, trackdays will show a bit more.

Greetings,
Marc

arjunior45
12-12-09, 05:32
I think that 85 - 87 degrees is when the oil thermostat opens and let the oil towards the oil cooler. Need to check it again but certainly it is not 70 degrees!
Mine keeps the temp at 87 - 90 degrees and in city traffic, but during summer time goes above 90 {92 - 93}.

alfacorse155
13-12-09, 09:39
Good morning!

I also think that the thermostat should open around 80?C and my oil don`t even get so high.

I found a guy in Germany, who sells new oil thermostats for the Lancia Delta Integrale. I hope this will fit in my Q4, to get the right oil temperature. It will cost around 100 Euro, but there is no other solution available.

I have now already 207 000km on the motor and hope it won`t break the next few years.

Wish a nice sunday!
Chris

PS.: If someone is also interested for a new oil thermostat, i can send him the contact!

Brul(tm)
13-12-09, 15:43
I have now already 207 000km on the motor and hope it won`t break the next few years.

I have covered 290.8xxKM with my Q4 until I started to have problems with the engine.

Greetings,
Marc

alfacorse155
14-12-09, 17:23
Hi Marc!

That sounds good, hope my Q4 is as faithfully as yours! But i have to say that i bought it already with 203 000km. So i don`t know how the Alfa has been handeled in the past!

Today i spoke again with my german thermostat contact. He told me that his new thermostat opens at 84?C degress! He used it already in some Lancia Deltas and Fiat Coupes!

I hope the package arrieves soon, so that i can tell you if it works!

Yours Chris!

Jan
10-01-10, 21:28
Do you already have the oil thermostat?

alfacorse155
11-01-10, 17:37
Hi!

No not at the moment, but i hope the thermostat will arrive this week!

Best wishes!
Chris

alfacorse155
14-01-10, 18:33
Good afternoon guys!

After three weeks waiting for the oil thermostat, today the parcel arrived.

So i mounted the new thermostat shown on the first pictures and made a test drive. I reached nearly 80?C, then my brother drove a bit faster and the oil reached exact 80?C. Now i am a bit confused, because the thermostat should open at 83?C (writen on it).

At least i have to say that the thermostat costs 120 Euro!

What is your opinion about it?

Yours Chris!

PS.: During this repair i also changed the oil and oilfilter. Now i filled in the Mobil 1 5W50 and i have noticeable more oil pressure (about 0.5 bar more) at engine idle and warm motor.

mindus
15-01-10, 15:13
I would suggest that oil temperature gauge is not so accurate that you could define the 3 degrees difference. The new thermostat works just fine IMO.

SteveNZ
21-01-10, 00:40
Where is the temperature sender in relation to the thermostat? Even if the gauge was accurate, 3 degrees difference from one place to another is not unrealistic.

p.s. photos dont work for me

alfacorse155
21-01-10, 18:46
Hi Steve!

I just looked up the position of the oil temperatur sensor in my work manuel and it is very near to the oil thermostat.

Maybe the temperature gauge is not so exact! But with the new thermostat the temperature is very near to the value it should be.

At the moment i can`t add pictures right, does anyone know where the problem could be?

Nice evening!
Chris

AlfaJack
21-01-10, 19:47
At the moment i can`t add pictures right, does anyone know where the problem could be?

Nice evening!
Chris

It is working for me. What error do you get?

arjunior45
22-01-10, 02:34
It is working for me. What error do you get?

just this error:
http://forum.berlinasportivo.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1250&d=1263497850

Q4Jan
23-01-10, 02:47
Same error here. Pictures not working on the forum for me.

AlfaJack
25-01-10, 14:07
I have notified Steve of the attachment problem.

Steve Webb
27-01-10, 17:37
Give it a go chaps, should be working again now. Fingers crossed!

alfacorse155
27-01-10, 19:10
Hi guys!

Steve thank`s very much for you help, i`ll try to add my pictures again!

How much is your oil pressure, when you start you car?
I only have about 2-3 bar at idle and cold motor.
When the oil and water has the normal temperature i have about 1 bar, which is not so bad i think.

Yours Chris

arjunior45
28-01-10, 03:42
Give it a go chaps, should be working again now. Fingers crossed!

yes, everything is ok now.

arjunior45
28-01-10, 03:49
Hi guys!

How much is your oil pressure, when you start you car?
I only have about 2-3 bar at idle and cold motor.
When the oil and water has the normal temperature i have about 1 bar, which is not so bad i think.

Yours Chris

1 bar at idle / worm engine is ok. I think it should be at least 0,7bar

na15575
28-01-10, 17:16
dont believe the instrument for oil press in the dashboard
i use to have 1 bar hot and when i change the transmitter (on the oil filter bracket )
i see 2+ bar at 110c

but 1 bar is good as nick wrote