PDA

View Full Version : Boost controller and brake lines..

jimnielsen
23-09-09, 06:17
After driving the car at Sandown the other day, I have made a couple of modifications to my setup.. the brake pads (Lucas road pads) that I was using only lasted 8 'hot' laps.. Pic of the 'remnants' below. So I have changed to Ferodo DS2500 PADS. For you info.. the Ferodo part # for the 166 Brembo caliper is FCP1334H. They are a 16mm thick pad, but they still fit in!

Speaking of brakes, they were hardly working after 2 laps of hard breaking - massive fade - quite challenging really. so..

Also, I have changed the brake lines to braided metal (plastic coated) ones and I am going to add some brake ducting..

I am also thinking of using the 'old' original front disks from the Q4 on the rear (with a different caliper of course - no handbrake unfortunately..)

has anyone done anything similar with a rear brake upgrade?

Also, I am going to experiment with a different electronic boost controller. SO far I have only been able to develop 1.35 bar (at 7000 RPM) with the cheap Chinese T3/T4 turbo. That is certainly a LOT better than the stock turbo, however, I think it is capable of more!! I want 1.5 bar at 7000RPM. Anyway to rule out the standard electronic controller as the issue, I am going to try this new one... pic attached.

cheers, jim.

wrinx
23-09-09, 07:16
Not seen that type of EBC before, "M's"???

I'm looking at buying a Gizzmo to replace the MBC, supposed to be very good and "only" ?200 in the UK.

wrinx

AlfaJack
23-09-09, 09:02
DS2500 are pretty damn good pads - maybe you need a fluid with a higher boiling point too?
Interesting MBC - I was after one of these a while back but I do like the simplicity of the ball and spring type I have..

arjunior45
23-09-09, 09:06
I am also thinking of using the 'old' original front disks from the Q4 on the rear (with a different caliper of course - no handbrake unfortunately..)

has anyone done anything similar with a rear brake upgrade?

It's one of my 'must do' things, but I do not have the mood for.
I did it on a 75Turbo using hydraulic pump and additional calipers for the handbrake {total 2 calipers per side - the oem front one for braking and the 'additional' one for handbrake}. Do not know if can be done on the Q4, but that's the idea.

ps.
on this 75T I had also twin oem calipers on the front {keeping the oem front disks} and twin brake pistons - no servo assisted of coarse.

SteveNZ
23-09-09, 14:07
Not seen that type of EBC before, "M's"???

I'm looking at buying a Gizzmo to replace the MBC, supposed to be very good and "only" ?200 in the UK.

wrinx

I have a Gizzmo IBC. Good but very basic. They are cheap, 200 pounds sounds expensive

wrinx
23-09-09, 16:30
That's for the MIBC(?) in the black casing, not the more basic IBC (silver box) which goes for about ?170.

Can't find them cheaper anywhere...without getting stung for import tax :(

wrinx

SteveNZ
24-09-09, 06:54
OK, thats about right. I didn't really see the point of the MS IBC and bought the cheaper one. MS IBC appears to have some sort of overboost function.