PDA

View Full Version : sandown this weekend.

jimnielsen
15-09-09, 22:40
Drove the Q4 at Sandown Raceway last weekend in an Alfa Club event. The car was the fastest Alfa Romeo and the 3rd fastest overall in a field of 96.

http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/results.cgi?13/09/2009.SAN.S1

The Lucas brake pads that I am using (in the front 166 calipers) didn't work well at this circuit - too much heat generated and very fast wear with a lot of fade issues.

I have just purchased some 16x8 (4x98) rims so that I can run slicks soon.

jim..

1NRO
15-09-09, 23:07
fair doos a skyline having legs on you but someone must have a clever MX5, great result though, you must have the knack!

jimnielsen
16-09-09, 01:03
The skyline has more than 600 RWHP - its very fast! The MX-5 is a turbo race-car as well. When I get the car properly sorted it will beat them both :)

The biggest issue I am having is with the brakes - At Sandown the car is getting to 215 kph and the pads I am using can't cope for more than two laps. I am going to move away from the basic TWR (Lucas) road pads that I have been using (that did do a fine job when the car was slower). I have bought some Ferodo pads and will try them next.

The second biggest issue is the wheels and tyres. The 16x7 wheels with 205/45 'R' tyres are being overwhelmed by the car now. I have bought some 16x8 wheels and will be using them with Dunlop 600/220R slicks, but I wont get the wheels till November.

the third issue that I have having is with the gearbox, sometimes I have trouble getting the box to shift cleanly from 2nd to 3rd gear. Perhaps I am simply being too rough or impatient with it, but quite a few times when I try to select 3rd gear it feels like their is some sort of barrier to the gear going in.. no grating or anything, just lack of engagement.. hmm.. anyone any ideas on this?

jim~

wrinx
16-09-09, 08:14
Have you checked for wear in the mechanism (think it may be cables, but not sure without checking).

wrinx

arjunior45
16-09-09, 09:16
the third issue that I have having is with the gearbox, sometimes I have trouble getting the box to shift cleanly from 2nd to 3rd gear. Perhaps I am simply being too rough or impatient with it, but quite a few times when I try to select 3rd gear it feels like their is some sort of barrier to the gear going in.. no grating or anything, just lack of engagement.. hmm.. anyone any ideas on this?

jim~

I have the same 'barrier' issue, from 1st to 2nd gear, after having change the cables. Do not know if there is something to 'register' with the cables.

AlfaJack
16-09-09, 09:26
I have exactly the same problem throwing from 2nd to 3rd. It is ok if your slow and smooth but it is when you are aggressive it happens.

jimnielsen
16-09-09, 12:40
Well, at least it's not just 'me' - I guess that's good? Anyone any ideas on why this happens and how to fix it? Anyone tried double clutching 2-3rd?

jim ~

1NRO
16-09-09, 15:11
worn syncros maybe

AlfaJack
16-09-09, 16:13
I thought that would cause a crunch on engaging - this is just like a blockage.

jimnielsen
16-09-09, 22:40
I would have thought that to, AlfaJack...and there is no problem changing down from 4-3-2 where the worn syncro normally shows up..