PDA

View Full Version : A few laps of Brands Hatch in the Q4

AlfaJack
04-08-09, 21:07
I did this track evening (organised with AROC by Plastic Pig) last Monday in the Q4 and filmed it with the bullet cam, here are a few laps from that.

Enjoy....
YouTube - Alfa 155 Q4 - Brands Hatch - Trackday - 27 July 2009

Not the best example of the racing line around Brands I know :redface:

I learnt a few more things about the Q4 from that evening.

1. The power is pretty good - not perfect yet but more than happy, just needs an earlier spool up. I was hitting about 1.2 bar then it winds itself down to 0.9 - this is a problem I wil probably fix with upgrades (turbo and IC will swapped when the current one can spin no more).

2. The brakes surprised me. OK, I was braking quite early but the bashing they did get, for 284mm disks they did well not to fade much. But then again a day like this leaves you wanting the big 166 calipers all over again, just so you can brake that bit later.

3. Biggest downside was the body roll, although I am told it does not look like much, it really feels it and affects the cornering speed a lot. Bigger and better ARBs is a good start but where from I do not know.

arjunior45
05-08-09, 12:08
I learnt a few more things about the Q4 from that evening.

1. The power is pretty good - not perfect yet but more than happy, just needs an earlier spool up. I was hitting about 1.2 bar then it winds itself down to 0.9 - this is a problem I wil probably fix with upgrades (turbo and IC will swapped when the current one can spin no more).

2. The brakes surprised me. OK, I was braking quite early but the bashing they did get, for 284mm disks they did well not to fade much. But then again a day like this leaves you wanting the big 166 calipers all over again, just so you can brake that bit later.

3. Biggest downside was the body roll, although I am told it does not look like much, it really feels it and affects the cornering speed a lot. Bigger and better ARBs is a good start but where from I do not know.

all the Q4's defects in just a few words?

AlfaJack
05-08-09, 12:10
I can think of more :biggrin:

arjunior45
05-08-09, 12:16
me too!
I'm getting angry with this car and Alfa factory of coarse.

jimnielsen
05-08-09, 12:24
ALfaJack - great video of a great track - your car sounds great and very powerful! I have almost cured body roll with my new rear anti roll bar. It make s big difference..

arjunior45
05-08-09, 12:30
new rear anti roll bar. It make s big difference..

more info please.

AlfaJack
05-08-09, 12:37
Cheers Jim.
Am I right in saying a thicker rear ARB will cure body roll and understeer? I remember the pics you posted of the new one you had made.
I don't want the rear end too snappy, a progressive slide is ok but I don't want to throw it off the tarmac.

Q4Jan
08-08-09, 06:56
Brakes on Q4 are *terrible*. I got my car on zandvoort race track several times. One time had them on fire after 2 rounds. :cool:

I now have the brembo bigbrake kit installed. Much better!

The standard Q4 brakes are realy not meant for a car its weight and power.

My understeer has really gone since i installed the D2 dampers+springs.

Car was very understeerd + much body roll. Both seem to be gone by a lot. Much faster on the track now.

I think a good suspension+thicker arb is the best option
Bigger brakes even comes before that!

AlfaJack
08-08-09, 12:07
I need to consider wilwoods or 166 calipers. I want to run the 16" speedlines on the track in the future though.

wrinx
08-08-09, 12:22
Wilwoods then...I need to do the same at some point.

wrinx

AlfaJack
08-08-09, 17:55
Are they as good as 166 calipers though?

wrinx
08-08-09, 18:49
No idea., but they'll be better than the OE kit..still not sure how Jim managed to get a set of 166s under Speedlines :eek:

166s are excellent though :cool:

wrinx