PDA

View Full Version : Removing inlet plenum

wrinx
15-06-09, 18:12
Any tips for removal...preferably without needing to dislocate one's arm at the elbow and shoulder?

wrinx

sub555
15-06-09, 20:00
write down where all the vacum hoses go and it only took stu and myself about a hour to remove it, not to hard a job if you have skinny arms !!

AlfaJack
15-06-09, 20:50
I think I wrote up the procedure recently. Il try and find it.

AlfaJack
15-06-09, 22:55
Cant find it so maybe I didn't.

First off, take the battery out, remove the straight metal pipe and 90 degree elbow. Then remove the hoses and make sure you know where they go back. Disconnect the throttle. You might want to undo the 4 nuts holding the throttle housing to the manifold and remove that too. There are a few pipes under that that need removing too (good chance to join the two water pipes together instead of it circulating through the throttle housing).

Then you should be able to get some sort of access either side of the manifold to get a long screw driver in to undo the jubilee clips - depends where they are facing. First time round its hard if some are facing down - next time it will be easier as you will probably leave them facing up.
Once they are undone, remove the two 10mm bolts at the front and prise it off. Your map sensor pipe will probably still be attached so remove that and all should be ok :)

wrinx
15-06-09, 23:13
Thanks, about what I thought then....although, from memory, I didn't remove the battery when messing with the hose of death round the back...but did have the HUGE bruises to show for the job!

Might take the opportunity to do a better job on the aforementioned hose too....

wrinx

arjunior45
16-06-09, 08:50
good luck wrinx!

I do not have skinny arms and my wife is not willing to help me do the job!
So, when you've done could you please ...

wrinx
16-06-09, 16:42
You want me to do what your wife won't.....?!?!? :eek:

wrinx

arjunior45
16-06-09, 19:54
exactly!!!

remove the inlet plenum of coarse, you dirty mind.

wrinx
27-10-13, 16:56
Finally got round to doing this today...what a nightmare!

No idea how you guys have done it so easily, I ended up dropping the front of the engine to get enough clearance for it to come off.

However, it now means I can do a proper repair on the rear hose (replace the DIY bodge that was made before, by me!) AND easily replace the coil packs and fit new leads.

Also need to replace the brake master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder :roll:

wrinx

Steve Webb
11-11-13, 21:32
Finally got round to doing this today...what a nightmare!

No idea how you guys have done it so easily, I ended up dropping the front of the engine to get enough clearance for it to come off.

However, it now means I can do a proper repair on the rear hose (replace the DIY bodge that was made before, by me!) AND easily replace the coil packs and fit new leads.

Also need to replace the brake master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder :roll:

wrinx

Remove the battery and tray and the clutch slave cylinder is easy. However I'd start soaking the pipe union now. Mine was rusted solid.

wrinx
12-11-13, 08:23
Mine was/is fine...rest of the car is rotten though :lol:

Had to remove the master retaining bracket and smash the master to bits to get it out...seized solid! :oops:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/wrinx/Q4_InletManifold/brakeslave.jpg

wrinx