PDA

View Full Version : silicon small bore hoses

arjunior45
27-05-09, 15:04
which silicon small bore 'vacuum' hose do you suggest?
The one with 3mm {1/8"} or the 5mm {3/16"} one?
Does the color of them {blue, red or black} has to do anything with the quality?

wrinx
27-05-09, 15:20
Colour has no difference to quality as far as I know...and I've used 4 and 5mm hoses so far.

wrinx

arjunior45
27-05-09, 15:46
have you changed the one at the wastegate too?
And another question. Do you use hose clips with these hoses? The guy at the store told me that there is no need for them but he has not the one I've asked {like the oem one} ... I'm little skeptic for his answer.

AlfaJack
27-05-09, 16:27
have you changed the one at the wastegate too?
And another question. Do you use hose clips with these hoses? The guy at the store told me that there is no need for them but he has not the one I've asked {like the oem one} ... I'm little skeptic for his answer.

I put a tie rap around the hoses to be safe but I think they would be ok without.

For the wastegate I think a hose with better heat insulation would be a good idea due to the heat from the turbo. The OEM stuff is quite strong with a braided outer.

Also, use a good quality hose for the MAP sensor - this is one you definately do not want breaking or coming loose!

wrinx
27-05-09, 18:36
I haven't used clips for most pipes I've replaced as silicon is sticky and the pipes are for vacuum so they are "sucked" on :lol:

Having aid that, if they're not tight, I have used a clip...or smaller diameter hose.

Agree with Jack, you need to keep the 150mm bit of braided hoses for the turbo and wastegate but I replaced the rest with silicon.

wrinx

jimnielsen
27-05-09, 21:34
yep - they're for vacuum - until the turbo creates some 'reverse vaccum' ....

AlfaJack
27-05-09, 22:49
This vacuum, I understand this in a normally aspirated engine but all the small bore hoses will be under about 1-1.4 bar of pressure when the turbo is boosting, when there is no boost there will definately be a vacuume....surely that is the case unless I am missing something?

EDIT: Rereading I think that is what you meant in your post Jim:doh::doh:

jimnielsen
28-05-09, 00:36
yes, it was attempt at humor gone sadly wrong!

AlfaJack
28-05-09, 07:36
yes, it was attempt at humor gone sadly wrong!

:cry::tongue2:

arjunior45
28-05-09, 08:46
well, 'vacuum' or 'reverse vacuum' {that's good} I do not think I like those silicon hoses without any hose clip! I do like to find the 'T-type' one or at least the 'oem' type one. Maybe there is no need for but ... I'm too old and with 'fixations' as well.

Thanks for the advices folks.

AlfaJack
28-05-09, 09:46
I would not try to fit OEM as they are fit once then only cause problems when trying to remove.

wrinx
28-05-09, 10:09
There's hardly any of my pipes with clamps...but no (known) problems? :?

Do they really need clamps?

wrinx

arjunior45
28-05-09, 10:53
There's hardly any of my pipes with clamps...but no (known) problems? :?

Do they really need clamps?

wrinx

Do not know if they really need one.
I'll feel more comfortable with them on, as usually only 'strange' problems can ruin my ride when I'm calm and relaxed!
I'm getting too old to stop at the side of the road and reattach the fuel hose {for example} underneath the car that for no reason at all went off its 'place' {with a clip attached too}.

Juan AR155Q4
28-05-09, 12:55
Nick,
In small bore hoses you don?t need clamps.
You do have pressure that will try to loose it, but the area were it actuates it?s small, so the resulting force is small too.
F=P.A
where F=force
P=pressure
A=area

arjunior45
28-05-09, 13:13
ok