PDA

View Full Version : Ebay manifolds

wrinx
18-03-09, 21:22
Who has one...did you have any problems fitting it?

Mine is turning into a real pain!

I think the pipe nearest the head may be too near, which means I can't get a spanner in to one of the nuts, and another is very difficult.

Also finding some of the holes don't line up very well...is it just mine?

wrinx

Q4Jan
19-03-09, 00:39
Mine was alright. Fits great.

No idea about the spare second one, as it is just that, spare.

I do believe you bought from the same seller i did?

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3948/foto426i.jpg

jimnielsen
19-03-09, 05:01
I have to fit mine soon wrinx, um.. what about a few pics of the actual problem so I can see if mine has the same issues?

Cheers, jim.

axaQ42
19-03-09, 05:36
I obtained this ebay manifold for modelling for my own and i must say that the work is half done on it.

The pipes are to close so it will heat the cylinder head even more!There is no place for heatwrapping and the end parts to the turbo flange is made catastrophical.

wrinx
19-03-09, 07:20
I have to fit mine soon wrinx, um.. what about a few pics of the actual problem so I can see if mine has the same issues?

Cheers, jim.

Basically, the second pipe goes too close to the head (as AXA says) and this means you can't swing a spanner for the second and third nuts on the top row. Then the second and third on the bottom row are also hard to get to and the hole seems to be slightly out with the gasket so I'm struggling to get bolts in.

Oh yeah, forgot to say, you'll need to pull out the top studs as they're way to long. I thought bolts would do the job but it's far too much hassle...so will be taking it off again and putting home made studs in :(

wrinx

jimnielsen
19-03-09, 10:13
yet another thing for me to look forwards to then....

wrinx
19-03-09, 11:51
Forgot to mention...I also had to file off the corner of the front right rocker bolt area as it was touching the pipes! Reckon I must have taken about 5mm off with a rasp...and it's still damn close, almost touching, when tightened up :(

Really looks like the welder didn;t put the pipe in the right place, meaning it leans toward the engine a few millimetres too much.

Going to crank up the lathe and make some 8mm studs tonight hopefully :roll:

wrinx

AlfaJack
19-03-09, 14:06
rocker

tut tut, EvoDelta will not like this! :tongue2: :tongue2:

wrinx
19-03-09, 16:30
Doh....camcover :roll:

wrinx

Brul(tm)
19-03-09, 16:34

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/AngelWolfCrow/emoticons/rock.gif
Heavy metal rulez :cool:

Greetings,
Marc

Evodelta
19-03-09, 19:40

Oi, are you pinching my job Jack! :deal:

Well to be fair you can't expect a cheap manifold from Ebay to be much good, although the difficulty in tightening the nuts is a problem with most tubular manifolds, I've been removing and refitting an Evocars manifold over the last couple of days*, you've got to have a lot of patience and a few special tools to do it. You can make some of them your own from some cheap or mediocre spanners: Saw them off to shorten them, bend them to get around the edge of the cam cover and thin them down to fit into thin gaps etc. Unless you want to splash out on some nice crows feet, flex-head ratchet rings or stubbys etc.

I'm jealous of a man with a lathe Wrinky :tasty: but you can buy SS threaded bar cheaply enough and cut your own off to length to save yourself a job maybe.

Make sure you elongate the holes in the head flange so it has plenty of room to expand, this is very important to help prevent it cracking.

*I don't mean it took me a couple of days just to take it off and put it back on again. :rolleyes:

wrinx
19-03-09, 21:47
I did think of just using allthread but it wouldn't have the untapped portion to prevent the stud screwing all the way in.

Next thought was to knock some up on the lathe (I have three by the way!).

But then I searched ebay and found a packet for less than a tenner, so not worth the aggro!

I'll definitely be bending spanners to suit or making a tool to allow easier fitment, just a PITA :(

Another thought, is it a bad idea to double gasket the exhaust manifold?

wrinx

Evodelta
20-03-09, 07:04
3 lathes? Triple jealousy!

I have used the double gasket method with two Spesso gaskets and yes it works fine.

jimnielsen
20-03-09, 08:06
was this for the purpose of increased clearance between the engine and the manifold?

jimn~

wrinx
20-03-09, 12:02
That's the reason for me...might just get anout 1.5-2mm which will hopefully allow a spanner to be wielded more effectively :D

wrinx

na15575
29-03-09, 16:39
Hi
I have put it in my car 8 months ago
the good thing is that I put it when the engine was out of the car
but and in this case I use some special tools like evodelta say .
I open all the holes to 10mm because they don't line and thats it.
The one pipe is very close to the rocket arm cover thats true
I put an exhaust casket from getze this one have an aluminum expansion that go between the pipe and the cover I don't find any problem running it so long
the problem is to the bonnets heat protection this can be on fire but don't worry there is a bad smell
before the fire :cool:
im going down to the car to take some photos

na15575
29-03-09, 17:50
here is the photos

you must protect from the heat the wires that is over the refrigarator
you can move them at the front
and the wires that goes to fan
that why i put the aluminion cover in front

wrinx
29-03-09, 18:52
There is definitely a difference in the way the pipes fall. If you look to the right hand side in na15575's pictures, where the camcover bolts sticks out, there is loads of clearance. Now look at mine below, and remember I've files loads of the corner already AND this is double gasketed!!!

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/wrinx/Q4/Manifold/fitted2Small.jpg

I also had to open up the last two holes to the left by 1mm to allow fitment. There's ajust about enough room to put some 18g stainless between the head and the manifold...which I'll be doing :D

Are you serious about the fire risk, did it happen to you?

I'm really glad I fitted a fan override switch, it can be used to cool the manifold down after stopping!!! :lol:

wrinx

jimnielsen
29-03-09, 20:16
FIRE! ok, thats scared me enough! I am going to take my manifold here...

http://www.jet-hot.com.au/advantages.htm#Performance

its not too far from my house and have it coated to reduce the heat output!

thanks for posting those great photos. I will have my head back at the end of this week so i will do a trial fit and any adjustment tweaking before I get it coated...

jimn~

wrinx
30-03-09, 17:51
Been worrying about this now...where can I get some decent flame retardent material to stick on the underside of the bonnet :lol:

wrinx

axaQ42
30-03-09, 18:07
None of you tried to heat wrap it?
I just bought one that can withstand 1600 degree celsius intermit and 1000 constant just for that.This type of header radiate even more heat then the original one so its almost a must some heat protection.

na15575
30-03-09, 22:04
Been worrying about this now...where can I get some decent flame retardent material to stick on the underside of the bonnet :lol:

wrinx

mine start to burn the bonnets heat protection but dont wory it is slow burn material

you can find that you want to the shops that have burners for the house.
it is an aluminioum tape

na15575
30-03-09, 22:06
None of you tried to heat wrap it?
I just bought one that can withstand 1600 degree celsius intermit and 1000 constant just for that.This type of header radiate even more heat then the original one so its almost a must some heat protection.

have you got any photos ?

na15575
30-03-09, 22:16
take care of this!!!

wrinx
30-03-09, 22:36
Yes, I had problems with the wiring there a while ago...but I still have the original cover for the fan motor which just covers the connection too :D

Just remembered I bought a plumbers fire mat to go between the manifold and head...but as it won't fit there any more it'll go on the bonnet!!!! :lol: :eek::rolleyes:

wrinx

axaQ42
31-03-09, 05:28
have you got any photos ?

Not yet but i will make them soon :).

I will probably make an aluminium heat shield for the turbo also.
Something like that:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/mazman808/Panonturbo.jpg
or you can just buy it:
http://www.priracing.com/section.php/399/1/turbo-shield/15a262a1e0a46091d3b6a05e93dad1e6

arjunior45
31-03-09, 07:50
guys,
when I bought the car from the polish, everything near the turbo was melted. Even the plastic parts for the air-cond relays were just ONE melted 'thing'.
I've already completely removed the bonnets heat protection - was melted already - and open a big hole on the bonnet. The fans wire connection replaced too as it was taking apart from itself. And the fans cover was in his place!
Last month I met one of the two 'missing' Q4 here in Greece and he had wrap around even the water hoses, that are going over the turbo, with the asbestos heat protection tape. It is something 'missing' from my car but I'll do it as soon as I'll replace my radiator.

Going for a 'serious' spin with this Alfa in the summer here in Greece, even in the evening, you just can see the turbo glowing and feel the heat from a distance if you open the bonnet. So, heat protection is a must, at least in hot climates.

Be careful what you do with the heat and the oem alu engine head!!!

Nick

wrinx
31-03-09, 17:28
Eeek! Was that with a standard manifold?

wrinx

arjunior45
31-03-09, 19:15
Eeek! Was that with a standard manifold?

wrinx

Yes, with standard manifold. Those guys {policemen who drove this car} were almost insane! Almost, not quite though. I've seen the turbo glowing last summer, in August, and I have not pushed that much the car.

Nick

wrinx
31-03-09, 20:07
Ahh, that's ok then...I'm very gentle :tapedshut::eek:

wrinx

Q4Jan
01-04-09, 04:04
I also have the "glow in the dark" turbo.

If it aint glowing you aint pushing. :cool:

jimnielsen
01-04-09, 05:03
Its strange that after minutes at full boost (at least 1 bar) pushing it out to 7000 rpm at each change I have not noticed much excessive under bonnet heat. Also, all the connectors, wiring, etc near the turbo are in near prefect condition. I wonder what accounts for that. Regardless, with all this talk of 'FIRE" I am definitely going to get the 'ebay extractors' coated - it makes a huge difference to the heat output.

cheers, jim...

arjunior45
01-04-09, 12:03
Its strange that after minutes at full boost (at least 1 bar) pushing it out to 7000 rpm at each change I have not noticed much excessive under bonnet heat. Also, all the connectors, wiring, etc near the turbo are in near prefect condition. I wonder what accounts for that. Regardless, with all this talk of 'FIRE" I am definitely going to get the 'ebay extractors' coated - it makes a huge difference to the heat output.

cheers, jim...

try 1,35 bar and more than 35 - 37 degrees Celcious ambient temp and we can talk again.
Summer in Greece {and Argentina I believe} is just hot, very - very HOT! And these ambient temperatures are not for one day only, but for weeks. Not to mention the city traffic which makes thinks lot worse. You can cook anything you want over the front bonnet, even mousaka not just boil an egg.

Nick

Evodelta
01-04-09, 13:32
Can you do me a bacon sandwich? :tasty:

arjunior45
01-04-09, 14:15
Can you do me a bacon sandwich? :tasty:

whatever a customer wants!!!

Nick

1NRO
02-04-09, 06:35
Ok, something more appropriate.

The best heat reflective product I know of is gold. So imagine if you will an alloy cowl that runs the length of the head, attached by sandwiching onto the upper manifold studs and curved up and over the manifold. Once made cover it in something like this http://enjukuracing.com/gold-reflective-film-p-7502.html (http://enjukuracing.com/gold-reflective-film-p-7502.html) which I'm told is a decent example of this type of product. Combined with a ceramic coating on the manifold itself and you'd be safe in the knowledge you gave it a decent attempt at thermal managment.

You'll have to get your butties from the catering van at the track.

Nik

wrinx
02-04-09, 07:22
Mmm, thanks for that. I was planning on just putting a sheet of stainless between the head and manifold, or perhaps aluminium...will that be no good?

What sort of temperatures are likely to be under the bonnet and near the manifold?

wrinx

arjunior45
02-04-09, 08:13
FIAT Coupe 16VT oem exhaust flange is a little bit different than the Q4's . It's from alu and have an eyebrow that covers part of the {oem} exhaust manifold keeping heat away, as possible, from the engine head. You could MAKE a flange like that and use it with the so called 'ebay manifold'.

Yes, gold might be the best solution but ... come on guys, lets keep our feet to the ground and be reasonable!
If some one is planing to use an Alfa Romeo 155 Q4 for endurance or the Indianapolis 500 could even consider a real gold - not a polyamide - exhaust gasket. But keeping heat away from engine head or front bonnet I believe it will be the last thing to consider.
From the other hand, I do not know someone you use any Q4 for a rally in the Sahara desert, do you?

The heat near the manifold is not that excessive to put your car in fire or melt the engine head. Just remove the insulating thing under the bonnet - just in case - or use an alu tape to the bonnets heat protection, over the exhaust manifold, as NA15575 did, and everything will be ok.

It will be much more risky for a fire to have a fuel leak from an injector for example, than the heat from the exhaust manifold.

That's for now.

Nick

Q4Jan
02-04-09, 16:52
My solution:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/6834/foto0033small.jpg

arjunior45
02-04-09, 18:40
nice!

Nick

Xti
02-04-09, 20:13
If it is more difficult to keep heat inside the manifold (away from the head), why shouldn't we try to send it out ?

Some day I was asking myself: why the 155 Q4 don't have some kind of air cuts onto the front bonnet like Grales have ? It's about esthetics or it's just that I am missing something...

What do you guys think about this matter? Thanks you.

Cheers,
Cristian.

wrinx
02-04-09, 21:21
Some day I was asking myself: why the 155 Q4 don't have some kind of air cuts onto the front bonnet like Grales have ? It's about esthetics or it's just that I am missing something...

In some countries they did...this is a copy as I think mine had a "normal" 155 bumper fitted, but I cut them out :D

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/wrinx/Q4/0-0006Medium.jpg

Should allow a bit more air in :D

wrinx

Q4Jan
02-04-09, 21:25
If it is more difficult to keep heat inside the manifold (away from the head), why shouldn't we try to send it out ?

Cheers,
Cristian.

Like this?

http://www.riminituning.it/img/bott/img_raduni/2006/02_adria06/images/01.jpg

Could be alright. As the 155 has to few vents.

arjunior45
03-04-09, 09:01
or maybe something like this?
I can assure you that you can see the 'heat' {distortion of the sight you have, inside from the drivers seat} coming out of this hole! Maybe it's the only defect!

And I'm using the FIAT Coupe 16VT exhaust manifold gasket too.

Nick

ps.
sorry Steve, but this is just dust from Sahara desert and some trees pollen - the green one! Not always that dirty.

arjunior45
03-04-09, 09:12

Cheers,
Cristian.

I think that it was a matter of cost. They should have to design a new bonnet with the hole - holes and the corresponding plastic parts. And for just 2700 cars I do not think worthed the 'effort' and the cost.
Unless they wanted just to keep low profile for a 'family' car like this one - regardless the 4x4 turbo set-up.
My opinion. I can't see any other reasons.

Nick

Xti
03-04-09, 15:34
Very good points I'd say, thank you.

And even more interesting must be the way we could bring some improvement to ours 155 Q4s in this air cooling matter.

The blue 155 from Q4 Jan's picture (thanks) seems to me having just about those grids (air vents) from Grales. It might not look just as good as on Deltas but I deffinitely would give it a try sometimes. :tongue2:

At the end the cooling it's pretty important, isn't it?

Cristian

Q4Jan
03-04-09, 18:57
Very good points I'd say, thank you.

And even more interesting must be the way we could bring some improvement to ours 155 Q4s in this air cooling matter.

The blue 155 from Q4 Jan's picture (thanks) seems to me having just about those grids (air vents) from Grales. It might not look just as good as on Deltas but I deffinitely would give it a try sometimes. :tongue2:

At the end the cooling it's pretty important, isn't it?

Cristian

Glad to be of some value. :biggrin:

Actualy the blue one looks like a whole integrale bonnet, welded into a 155 bonnet. The whole shape is different than that of a 155 bonnet.

http://static.autojunk.nl/pictures/20070427160443/image_01.jpg

Xti
03-04-09, 20:45
You're right, it's different from a 155 bonnet.

Anyway, I'll stick to the idea of having some airvents onto the front bonnet of my Q4. It's just a matter of time. And money (the actual project is killing me softly...:doh:).

Cheers,
Cristian.

Gery83
03-04-09, 20:51
Had this before, but it was filling the sparkplug holes with rainwater. :D
It wasn't painted yet, just with some black primer.

Q4Jan
03-04-09, 23:07
Maybe you over did it. Stop at sparkplugzone.:cool:

One thing i did hear one time(Actualy from someone who raced the 155Q4's) , is that because the 155 bonnet is lower at the front than the back, the air pressure over it is higher at speed than over a flatter bonnet. (Like an integrale.)
So when making holes, instead of sucking air out trough the bonnet, you would be pushing air in trough the holes.

But i find it a bit "whobly" theory. As getting cold air to the engine from above, below or underneeth will cool it. Might spoil the groundeffect, but as 155's don't have that......

Only thing to do is to find a willing suspect with heatsensors placed in fixed locations, and who has acces to two bonnets, of wich one can be cut up some.

I know i am not that person. :cool:

arjunior45
04-04-09, 13:41
Had this before, but it was filling the sparkplug holes with rainwater. :D
It wasn't painted yet, just with some black primer.

you could use {make} something like this in order to 'guide' the rain in front of the exhaust manifold.
It is not perfect yet but does the job just fine. Never had problems with spark plugs nor with the alternator or any other part, even under heavy rain or snow {not certain that much with the snow as we had snow for just one day}.

I do not know if the air goes out from this 'hole' of mine or if it goes in at higher speed but in the city I can see the 'heat' coming out from the bonner.

Nick

Xti
04-04-09, 20:34
Maybe you over did it. Stop at sparkplugzone.:cool:

One thing i did hear one time(Actualy from someone who raced the 155Q4's) , is that because the 155 bonnet is lower at the front than the back, the air pressure over it is higher at speed than over a flatter bonnet. (Like an integrale.)
So when making holes, instead of sucking air out trough the bonnet, you would be pushing air in trough the holes.

But i find it a bit "whobly" theory. As getting cold air to the engine from above, below or underneeth will cool it. Might spoil the groundeffect, but as 155's don't have that......

Only thing to do is to find a willing suspect with heatsensors placed in fixed locations, and who has acces to two bonnets, of wich one can be cut up some.

I know i am not that person. :cool:

1. I believe that the Alfa Corse guys too must've had at that time some thoughts on this matter.
2. I haven't saw yet a racing 155 with holes in the front bonnet. Why is that? :mad:
3. It still remains interesting to me and as I haven't yet reached to a certain conclusion on this, one day I will have to try myself and see what happens. :tongue2:

I'm thinking now at just one hole (grid) at the back end of the front bonnet for hot air 'output' (the cold air input should be already assured at least by the OEM grid between the headlamps). We'll see.

Cheers,
Cristian.

Q4Jan
04-04-09, 23:16
Thinking about this i remember the 155 gta.

Actualy the 155 gta had a very nice intercooler setup.
It was a big intercooler to the right of the engine. (standing infront of the car looking backwards.)
Straight pipes, and ontop of the intercooler was a very big carbon airbox wich got the air from the vents left and right of the alfa heart in the grill.

I saw a very nice pic of it somewhere....:confused:

The air to go into the air-filter came from the holes in the bumper.

The intercooler was from down front to high back at an angle. Like the integrale setup, but bigger with the top tilted backwards , and without the nasty bends in the hose.

Will try to remember where the pic in my mind comes from......

They seemed to get enough cool air that way, but i am also puzzled why racing 155's have no holes in the bonnet.

Maybe good cw values are more important than a few degrees cooling in circuit racing? Where-as in rally racing cw values are not that important.

arjunior45
05-04-09, 20:51
Thinking about this i remember the 155 gta.

Actualy the 155 gta had a very nice intercooler setup.
It was a big intercooler to the right of the engine. (standing infront of the car looking backwards.)
Straight pipes, and ontop of the intercooler was a very big carbon airbox wich got the air from the vents left and right of the alfa heart in the grill.

I saw a very nice pic of it somewhere....:confused:

The air to go into the air-filter came from the holes in the bumper.

The intercooler was from down front to high back at an angle. Like the integrale setup, but bigger with the top tilted backwards , and without the nasty bends in the hose.

Will try to remember where the pic in my mind comes from......

They seemed to get enough cool air that way, but i am also puzzled why racing 155's have no holes in the bonnet.

Maybe good cw values are more important than a few degrees cooling in circuit racing? Where-as in rally racing cw values are not that important.

find this photo and post it here. PLEEEASE.

Nick

Q4Jan
06-04-09, 01:13
I found it, plus one were the intercooler is missing to see the space available:

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/532/gta002.jpg

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8955/2011req.jpg

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1582/155gtaengine.jpg

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/1172/13motoregta.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/993/motorealfa155gta1992kp1.jpg

Q4Jan
06-04-09, 01:22
Actualy seeing this not sure if it gets it air from the grill next to the alfa heart, or from the big tube underneath it..
Connected to the two cut out holes in the bumper.

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2446/img7748zl1.jpg

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/8093/155gta01.jpg

Q4Jan
06-04-09, 02:01
Looks to be the two holes in the bumper.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2944/37259361.jpg

Everybody cutting their bumper didn't get it until now. :biggrin:

Q4Jan
06-04-09, 02:35
So:

- move battery to trunck.
- make some room
- measure available space next to engine
- fit biggest intercooler possible
- make duct to guide air onto intercooler

Could make for a pretty fast Q4 without a front mounted big tell tale sign. :cool:

jimnielsen
06-04-09, 04:44
They are great pictures, its very instructive to see how professionals turn 155's into race cars. Any more where they came from?

Q4Jan
06-04-09, 06:32
Actualy all but the top one are from my computer. I saved all gta pics i came across for the last years.
(Although i am not to organised so they are in several sub folders... :rolleyes:)
The top one i found in the dutch "klaverblaadje". Wich is the alfa romeo's club magazine.
And they got it from the "il quadrifoglio", so at some point alfa romeo put it in their magazine.

Most other pics are form the gta's doing hillclimbs in italy, and i put the pictures here in wich some form of the bodywork is removed.

I have some more gta pics, but these are the most informative ones about the layout under the skin.

If i find something else i will add it.

1NRO
06-04-09, 07:28
Top pics, a ducting master class :cool:

arjunior45
06-04-09, 07:32
great photos guy. THANKS.

Well, the inlet manifold is at the same side!!! This manifold seams like the one of the grA grales and the ignition coils are definitively the one used on grA grales too - with the 'different' IAW I presume,used on grA grales too.

Very interesting the turbo location and the exhaust manifold. I love that.

Nick

Q4Jan
07-04-09, 04:18
I really would like to know how much such an airduct would be. :tapedshut:

Could also suck air from the right of the alfa heart. I like the "invisible" side to a mod like this. Plus our turbos are in a slightly different spot. So the same intercooler won't fit, has to be a custom one.
But really much much nicer than a fmic.

arjunior45
07-04-09, 07:57
placing the intercooler to the gta position you will have the turbo and the heat coming from it too - too much close to the intrcooler! And if you do not 'insulate' the intercooler and if you do not make a box-guide for the fresh air to it, you will have exactly the opposite result with much higher air temp to the intake manifold.
You can see the alu insulating tape attached to the side of the gta 'box-guide' in this photo. It is there for that reason.

So, even if you move the battery you must also replace the turbine and I believe you will need to arrange another type and location for the water radiator!

And do not forget that gta has not any air-condition with it vaporizer and its tubes!!!

Relocating the turbine to the gta position I believe it is I good idea but what about the radiator and its fan?

Nick

arjunior45
07-04-09, 08:07
I really would like to know how much such an airduct would be. :tapedshut:

Could also suck air from the right of the alfa heart. I like the "invisible" side to a mod like this. Plus our turbos are in a slightly different spot. So the same intercooler won't fit, has to be a custom one.
But really much much nicer than a fmic.

what do you think of a custom make bigger intercooler {at + 47%} to the original position?
Something like the one on the photos attached, combined with the air water spray?

I'm going to test the water spray efficiency this summer {with the oem intercooler} and if air temps will be still very high I'll probably go for a bigger intercooler like this one. I do not like fmic too.

Nick

jimnielsen
07-04-09, 10:15
i think it will be grand - if - you can get the air to it. I am also going to use a misting system for the ic - but with a front mounted one. I have also mounted temp sensors before and after the FMIC that go direct to the data logger so I will be able to record if the mist is making a difference - or just adding weight!

jimn~

RMB-Racing
07-04-09, 13:01
IMO I think the GTA setup is outdated!

The car is from ?92, now we have ?09.

I have been in the danish streetracing environment (quatermile race) for the last 5 years, and here they are producing very very fast turbocharged cars.
Severel of them, is driving at "King of Europe"
And all of them - all - are using front mounted IC.

Take a look at the new Evo?s and Imprezia?s (also in the WRC versions) - are all using FMIC!

Why bother to make a design like the GTA, which are so difficult to make, when you relativly easy can mount a FMIC..?!!

You get so much more cooled air with a FCIM!

arjunior45
07-04-09, 14:20
I know only one guy in Italy that is trying to make a design like the GTA. In fact he is trying to make and race a 155 GTA replica and this worth the effort - I believe!!!
Other way, I believe that the FMIC is a far better solution. It is just me that I do not like that much having 3 {three} 'radiators' {water, aircon and intercooler} behind the mask-bumper.

I agree too that the GTA setup is outdated! But, do not forget that this car participated the Italian championship for just one year {'92} and them replaced by the V6 TI version. It was never evolved.

Nick

peter holst
07-04-09, 18:46
this is the mail I got from the guy from N-tecknologi. think that answers the question

Yes, I think so.

Regards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Da: peter holst [mailto:ph@roisindet.dk]
Inviato: luned? 21 gennaio 2008 21.07
A: Marco Calovolo
Oggetto: SV: 155 GTA

Dear Marco!

Thanks very much for your answer. Does that mean if you were to build the same car today you would place the intercooler in front of the watercooler as most teams do?

Best regards

Peter Holst

peter holst
07-04-09, 18:52
Marco also told me that they one used the integrale engine-compartment- design because they had no time to make another one

Juan AR155Q4
15-04-09, 13:12
A bit late but I think that will be appreciated:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1142/image013pt8.jpg
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6624/image014nv3.jpg
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1342/image015xy3.jpg
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6770/image018gz2.jpg
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9474/image019zt9.jpg
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6762/image033zt2.jpg

It?s from a guy here in Argentina, registered in this forum but a little shy to show his machine. Hope this encourage him and makes a good presentation topic.

wrinx
15-04-09, 13:17
:eek: A very evil looking 155...I can see lots of cars moving out the way with that behind them!

wrinx

Q4Jan
15-04-09, 15:06
Nicely raised hood!

arjunior45
15-04-09, 15:10
That's really really GREAT.
Very clever the mod to its bonnet!!!
I mean this one

Sooner or later there will be a 'second' one from Greece.

To tell you the trough I did not like my 'mod' that much as it can bee seen!

Encourage him to make a good presentation topic - even with a hammer if necessary.
FMIC and the bonnet is certainly not the only mod of his as we can see.

Nick.

Brul(tm)
15-04-09, 15:32
Nicely raised hood!

I agree :cool:
Very nice performed modification!

Greetings,
Marc

matias
16-04-09, 18:51
The hammer was effective lol

My presentation

http://forum.berlinasportivo.org/showthread.php?t=1464

wrinx
25-04-09, 22:35
What sort of temperatures are likely to be under the bonnet and near the manifold?

wrinx

Well...I found out today:eek:

Didn't burn under the bonnet....but did burn the back of my hand by just glancing off the manifold after a ten minute drive :eek::cry:

wrinx

arjunior45
26-04-09, 14:58
Well...I found out today:eek:

Didn't burn under the bonnet....but did burn the back of my hand by just glancing off the manifold after a ten minute drive :eek::cry:

wrinx

use 'burnshield' gel for your hand and keep it in your pocket for the next time - if you are not that careful 'next time'

Nick

wrinx
26-04-09, 18:53
Mmm, bit difficult to swap silicon pipes with hands in pocket...but I'll work on it :D

wrinx

arjunior45
27-04-09, 11:32
I meant to keep the 'burnshield' gel {something like an ointment - for example} in your pocket, not your hands!!! But if you manage to do the job with your hands in your pockets I can not tell you not to.

Nick

ps.
'Burnshield' gel is the best ointment for non heavy burns as my wife claims and she is a plastic surgeon.