PDA

View Full Version : new all 'alu' radiator

arjunior45
23-02-09, 13:03
I need to replace the radiator for the second time in two years time. I'm almost convinced that I must go for a custom all 'alu' one - without those plastic side parts that started to leak again. But my mechanic told me that people with Integrales always have heat problems with alu radiators {?} but I can not understand why.
Do you know anything about? Should I avoid the all alu one?

Nick

Gery83
23-02-09, 17:06
I need to replace the radiator for the second time in two years time. I'm almost convinced that I must go for a custom all 'alu' one - without those plastic side parts that started to leak again. But my mechanic told me that people with Integrales always have heat problems with alu radiators {?} but I can not understand why.

Nick

HI!

I don't really know much about all alu radiators, but one thing is sure. You should check, or replace the pressure release cap on your expansion tank, because it's really cheap, and it is the little shithead that killed my radiator a year ago... :mad:

Greetings! :D

arjunior45
23-02-09, 18:17
HI!

I don't really know much about all alu radiators, but one thing is sure. You should check, or replace the pressure release cap on your expansion tank, because it's really cheap, and it is the little shithead that killed my radiator a year ago... :mad:

Greetings! :D

thanks for the advice Gery, I'll replace it too.

Nick

Gery83
23-02-09, 18:21
thanks for the advice Gery, I'll replace it too.

Nick

And please keep me informed about this, because i'm thinking about full alu, or full CU radiator too.

Thanks!

Evodelta
23-02-09, 20:31

Nick

This is not quite true, although copper does conduct heat better than aluminium.
If you have an aluminium radiator specially made you can make it thicker or even wider if it will fit in, we make ours thicker and integrate the oil cooler in the side, this has the benefit of:

Warming the oil when it is cold. (most engine wear is done when it is cold)
The oil temp is more stable.
It gets rid of the old and worn out oil cooler, this tidys things up and gives more room for an FMIC.

The increased cooling is very noticeable.

arjunior45
24-02-09, 05:40
The increased cooling is very noticeable.

I was thinking to keep the oem core size - using a new one - and custom make the 'plastic' side parts out of alu, as long as the core is made of alu.
My mechanic is not willing to remove the radiator for replacing it with a custom made one as - I believe - he wants the 30% of a new radiator in his pocket {200 euro x 30% = 60 euro} plus his working hours, for a 'plastic' radiator that will explode again in a years time!!! He did not convinced me that much for the overheating problems and thats why I've asked for your opinion.

It is not a question of money, although I do not collect the money from the tree in my backyard. A custom made one costs a hole lot than an oem one - if its still available from FIAT-LANCIA-Alfa dealers.
Its the inconvenience to stop the car for another couple of days, bring it to his shop, remove all the things in the front of the car and remount them just for starting the countdown till the next time of radiators explosion.

Thanks for the info Evodelta.

Nick

arjunior45
24-02-09, 06:12
integrate the oil cooler in the side, this has the benefit of:

Warming the oil when it is cold. (most engine wear is done when it is cold)
The oil temp is more stable.
It gets rid of the old and worn out oil cooler, this tidys things up and gives more room for an FMIC.

thats a very good idea. - if there is the space at the side of the radiator. I'll keep that in mind but I have two concerns - apart the space.
I do not want to mount a FMIC. I want to keep the air condition in this car and cant figure out how this will be possible.
In a hot climate like here in Greece, in summer time and not only - we saw snow for just 4 hours yesterday and now is like 'yours' summer, almost - and oil worms up quite fast.
So, does it worth all the trouble-mods for just keeping the oil temp more stable with the risk of higher water temps during summer time and + 40 degrees Celcious?

Nick

arjunior45
27-02-09, 08:46
well, I went to the guy who is going to make the radiator for me and he told me that the 'core' from the one mounted is from copper and he suggest to keep this core and replace the side 'plastic' parts with copper one. So, water cooling effect will be the same. Just the radiator will be more reliable and easier to repair {just in case}.
The 'other' solution is to make an all 'alu' one which 'must' be with more depth {almost + 50%} due to the alu core, and of coarse is going to cost more not only because he must replace the core too but because it is more difficult and more expensive to solder the alu side parts without having any leaks.
I do not know if the alu one will be better of terms of cooling but I've already bought a second radiator fan and I'm going to mount it in front of the radiators.
So, I'll stick to the all copper one and the additional fan and I'll wait till summer to see what will be.

Nick

arjunior45
27-02-09, 09:05
Yesterday I met one of the two 'missing' Q4 here in Greece. It's a 'silver' narrow body and in very good condition.
He had covered the upper water hose that goes from the radiator over the turbine to the thermostat, with those amianthus strips that are used on exhaust manifolds and he told me that he had noticed a couple of degrees less running temps and I'm going to 'follow' him to this too.

Nick

jimnielsen
02-03-09, 01:02
What do you think of this radiator, as a replacement for the standard one (for a racecar only Q4)...

ebay link follows...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/56mm-3core-CUSTOM-aluminum-radiator460-500-65_W0QQitemZ280316120371QQihZ018QQcategoryZ6763QQt cZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

yes, yes, I know its from China! but it will hold a LOT more coolant than the standard one and the inlet/outlet hoses are on the correct side. I plan to use it with a davis graig electric water pump.

jim.

arjunior45
02-03-09, 17:28
lot of 'fitments' job to use this one Jim - and that's not a job for the Greek mechanics.
The depth of this one is way too big {oem 24 - this one 56mm}.
If it was for a race car, I would have gone for this one too, no matter China.
But on an everyday car with air-con and an auxiliary radiator fan? There is not such free space. It's difficult to remove the rad fan in the oem configuration {I did this once, last year} and with this alu rad with 56mm depth and the air-con it will be just impossible if the radiator back surface 'move' even for just 10mm towards the engine.

But the arrangement of davis graig electric water pump will be interesting, just in case. Waiting for photos of such mod.

Regards

Nick

btw, if anyone need the dimensions of the oem rad core, are :
Height : 554mm, Width : 367mm, Depth : 24mm.