PDA

View Full Version : Metallic sound when taking off

ecl
11-02-09, 08:15
Would this be the driveshaft donuts wearing out? It's not allways there, only sometimes.

Metallic engage sound when i release clutch and start driving.

thanks

-Eivind

wrinx
11-02-09, 12:13
When read with your other post I wonder if you have a clutch or gearbox problem.

wrinx

arjunior45
11-02-09, 12:25
to me it seams more like clutch bearing problem - cant say for sure though. Do you hear this noise even if you release the clutch pedal with gearshift in 'neutral' {engine running and not moving the car}?

Nick

ecl
11-02-09, 17:19
the metallic sound only comes when taking off from standing still, and has nothing to do with the clutch, sounds like something with the driveshafts or donuts, comes from the rear, so has nothing to do with the gearbox. Only comes when in gear and starting to roll away. Could be when gears or donuts/driveshafts are engaging and there might be some slack if the donut i worn?

The other post, the rambling, hehe, only comes when getting of the accelerator in speed. It's not there when standing still or in nautral or while accelerating, sounds like something is loose maybe.

If it's the gearbox bearing for the ingoing axle, would it be bad to drive with it? could i just wait to change until im replacing the clutch in the future? I know this is a weak bearing on the deltas, and i suppose it's basically the same gearbox?!

thanks guys

Gery83
11-02-09, 18:08
I think I know what it could be...
Mine had also a metallic noise on every start.
Sounded like, when you hit a steel pipe, with a light hammer softly. " dinnnng...." :D

If it's the same in your case, then it's the rear diff, or the propeller-shaft. Mine had a relatively big backlash...
But, I can not tell you witch part caused it, because my car is still in pieces... :cry:

It came from somewhere on the red marked place. Where the propshaft joins the rear diff...

juamin
12-02-09, 03:31
I think I know what it could be...
Mine had also a metallic noise on every start.
Sounded like, when you hit a steel pipe, with a light hammer softly. " dinnnng...." :D

That sound is common in almost every Q4 , its like hitting the exhaust with a small hammer and sounds a metalic tinnnnnn sound , i have 2 Q4`s at home and both have that sound, and a friend`s Q4 too.
So dont worry!

Juan AR155Q4
12-02-09, 10:37
As Gery says, it comes from propeller-shaft, the piece that connects the propeller-shaft to the transfer box, sorry but don?t know the name in english.
I have changed it, backlash and noise disappeared. But 10K Km after, play there has appeared again. It makes me sick, can?t find out why this happens.

ecl
12-02-09, 16:45
yes it's the "diiing" (metal klunk). So then thats of out my head then:)

Only the other noise left then.. Nobody had trouble with ingoing bearing on the gearbox?

I know it's a weak link on both the deltas and the dedra integrale... Guess I have to split the engine and gearbox then, wuhu, guess that job is gonna be given away to someone who does that for a living.........