PDA

View Full Version : water expansion tank

arjunior45
09-02-09, 10:23
finally I discover the water leakage in my car. It's the bl...y "water-coolant expansion tank" and now I must find another one.
According to parts CD this one is the same used on 155 V6 ONLY!!! Both {Q4's and V6's} no longer available.

Can some one else {8v or 16v NA} be fitted?

Regards

Nick

wrinx
09-02-09, 11:26
They can, Alfajack has fitted one from a 16v I think. They are better anyway, because the plastic is clearer, so you can see the coolant level.

You'll need one with the coolant level sensor but the only other difference is the angle of the pipe at the bottom, which goes straight down instead of being at an angle.

wrinx

arjunior45
09-02-09, 16:31
Thanks wrinx, hope alfajack can give me more info about.

Nick

wrinx
09-02-09, 16:39
From memory the Q4/V6 downpipe is about 45 degrees forward, but the Twinspark model points straight down.

wrinx

arjunior45
09-02-09, 18:46
yes, the Q4/V6 downpipe is almost 45 degrees forward. If twinspark model fits I believe it will be easier to find one here in Greece.

Thanks wrinx

AlfaJack
09-02-09, 22:26
It fits in the same spot with the same fixings but I did not have the standard pipe leading to the water circuit - It was just normal heater hose which I adapted with a 90 degree piece of hose and a joining tube...

arjunior45
10-02-09, 06:31
That's great AlfaJack,

thanks for the photos. It's very easy to fit and the tube is no problem at all. I'm using already another pipe {from VW heater} and adupting it won't be a problem.
Wrinx is right too, much more clear plastic tank and much much much easier to see the coolant level.

Thanks again guys.

Nick

wrinx
10-02-09, 07:16
VW hose...? Pictures please, does it join the old pipe or go all the way to the back of the engine? :D

wrinx

arjunior45
10-02-09, 10:33
Just took the tank out and ... I can not find the leak-crack! But I'm sure its leaking from there. Yesterday I saw coolant leaking just under the front fixing-retaining screw {see point 'A'} and there was a 'lake' of coolant just in front of the right wheel.

@wrinx
this is the photo from the VW heater tube. It goes just back to the 'second' corner where I used a metal corner.

Nick

wrinx
10-02-09, 15:59
I see, thanks, might look at that in future if my modification fails :lol:

Can you seal all but one hole on the tank and then put some pressure in it to find the leak...perhaps from a footpump?

When did you last change the water pump?

wrinx

arjunior45
10-02-09, 16:49
I see, thanks, might look at that in future if my modification fails :lol:

Can you seal all but one hole on the tank and then put some pressure in it to find the leak...perhaps from a footpump?

When did you last change the water pump?

wrinx

which is your mod for this tube?

I do have a footpump, and it's a good idea to use it! Never thought of it!

My water pump is a year old or some '7000 Km' old.

I suspect the upper - small tube that goes to the tank. It came out easily {too, I might say} and all the 'dirt' was at the back side of the tank and under.

btw, is there a solution to clean this tank? I think no one did it before and I found an elephant inside.

Nick

wrinx
10-02-09, 18:25
Elephant??? :shock:

I used strong bleach and left it overnight...still yellowy in colour but a little better :D

When I replaced the hose of death (rear of engine) the standard pipe also needed changing so I fabricated two metal corners for the tank and the bend you made...then just put straight rubber pipe between them.

My pipes were angle cut and welded, not bent...might try that next time ;)

wrinx

AlfaJack
10-02-09, 19:16
I used Jayes fluid to clean my new tank out as it had got a bit gungy:

http://www.healthinajiffy.co.uk/images/jeyes-fluid.jpg

ecl
11-02-09, 07:58
hose of death.

Is that the T style hose behind the engine thats impossible to get to? Does it exist? Does it have to be custom made? Part number? Who will make me one:D

I suppose mine needs replacment in the future, or the next time the engine is out, so i wan't to be equipped and ready, cause it's certainly gonna go bust some day:D

Thanks
-Eivind

arjunior45
11-02-09, 12:12
hose of death.

Is that the T style hose behind the engine thats impossible to get to? Does it exist? Does it have to be custom made? Part number? Who will make me one:D

I suppose mine needs replacment in the future, or the next time the engine is out, so i wan't to be equipped and ready, cause it's certainly gonna go bust some day:D

Thanks
-Eivind

Hi Eivind,

no, this tube in the photo {with the metal corners} it is not the 'T style hose' you are referring to. But this tube goes to the 'T style hose' on the back of the engine.
Both are no longer available as almost all the parts for the Q4 - at least here in Greece.

The 'T style hose' you can find it here : http://cgi.ebay.it/LANCIA-DELTA-INTEGRALE-16V-EVO-TUBO-ACQUA-IN-ACCIAIO_W0QQitemZ260298839569QQihZ016QQcategoryZ46 096QQcmdZViewItem
To make one for my self cost me little more than 50 euro plus the silicon tubes {totally 60 euro}. So I think this one is not that expencive.

Nick

wrinx
11-02-09, 12:17
Mine (similar design to the picture) cost almost nothing! Two bits of metal and some new hose...€87 is a bit steep imho.

Keep meaning to get a price for a proper silicon version to be made...group buy anyone???

wrinx