PDA

View Full Version : belt slippage

ecl
28-01-09, 08:23
hey guys

My belt slipped here the other day, car stopped and barely saved the day, and i now have a new belt fitted. I was wondering what you guys think about retightening it after a while? I would rather not "knock-knock" have it happen again.....

Thanks

Eivind

Evodelta
28-01-09, 15:35
Which belt, the one on your trousers? I hope it wasn't in public. :redface:

wrinx
28-01-09, 17:06
I was wondering what you guys think about retightening it after a while?

Well, years ago (before automatic tensioners) checking the cambelt tension was part of a service, and re-tightening it.

No idea if this is the same for a Q4/Integrale but it would make sense to me :D

wrinx

ecl
28-01-09, 21:54
great answer evodelta:D

Seems like the only belt we got working is the one around my waist:D

Have any of you ever retightened the cambelt on the q4? Should i just forget about it and wait til it slips again, and then have they (the shop) replace it again? And yes it's free. Guarantee job:D

AlfaJack
28-01-09, 22:32
I do not think they require re-tensioning.
I hear its best to never re-tension a cam belt if its been taken off which is why I swapped it when it slipped after the balance shaft tensioner seized up and caused timing problems.

Evodelta
29-01-09, 19:48
Really you should fit the belt at the correct tension and then leave it, the 'official line' is that you shouldn't re-tension belts so I would not like to advise otherwise.

If the belt is still young then maybe you could if you needed to, but not on an old belt for sure. Hope this helps.

(Glad you have a sense of humour) :smile:

wrinx
29-01-09, 21:43
I checked the manual last night and only found reference to re-tightening the auxiliary and PS belts, but shortly after a quick run.

So it looks like the advice above, NOT to tighten it, is correct. :D

wrinx

ecl
01-02-09, 20:32
Okay then, will not re tighten belt.:)

thanks guys