PDA

View Full Version : Xti's 155 Q4

Xti
27-12-08, 00:56
Hi guys!

Here I am finally starting a thread on my 155 Q4 which I became addicted to since I've seen it for the first time. It's true this is also due to my love for grales and as I'm an alfista it wasn't too hard to decide. ?Il cuore ha sempre raggione??

I bought this car from a friend of mine because at that time he couldn't take care of it anymore so I had to sell my 147 and save this 155 Q4. A shape not to envy at all and the car was already pulled off the road a year ago but this doesn't seemed to matter too much to me 'cause it was about a legend. Some guys said that I must be insane to buy such a wreck but I already knew what I have to do even before have this car at home. And hey, were is that passion without some madness in it? I knew that this Alfa should keep running on roads and that was more than enough for me. All Alfas are ment to be on the roads.

Here it is before starting the rebuiding project?

Xti
27-12-08, 01:06
So one day I decided it’s time to take my Q4 to garage and start the job.
Don’t remember why I had to put the camera on the roof before get in the car but I’m sure now that I forgot it there…so just few pictures from the first day made by cellphone...

Hard work in the first day. Oh I remember we have struggled with a lot of...beers. I had to celebrate anyway because I new a lot of work was expecting meeeeeeeeeeee. :doh::smoke:

More to come.

Cheers,
Cristian

AlfaJack
27-12-08, 09:18
It looks in great condition for a wreck!

Xti
27-12-08, 10:41
Maybe the metallic colour (Rosso Proteo) helps for a good looking but it’s also true that it was far away from being a “wreck” anyway I never accepted such an etiquette for my 155. An Alfa Romeo is always an Alfa Romeo.

Here are some faulties I remember it having at that time:

- lot of scratches and punches allover the body
- scratched windscreen (faulty rubberblade)
- front left wing crashed
- skinny 155 front bumper different coloured, also cracked and no safety supports (same the rear one)
- 15” Speedlines screaming for a painting job
- no passenger door locking device at all
- defective electrical mirrors , the left one broken
- 4 different types of tyres, the rear ones in 195/65/15 => scrubbed wheels housings
- just one door handle functionable, always have had to open the rear left door first to open driver’s one
- the original driver’s seat was missing, I had to get another one but different colour
- lots of “cigarette holes” on front and rear seats
- defective front side windows (electrical)
- raining inside due to broken doors/trunk seals
- height adjustable steering wheel defective
- defective climate control
- no radio
- engine coolant massive leakage
- engine cuts above 4000 rpm
- broken rear exhaust
- oil leakage (don’t know exactly where from but dropped on the exhaust pipe)
- etc…

Will update as soon as possible.

Regards,
Cristian

wrinx
27-12-08, 11:10
Certainly had a rough life (same as mine!) but everything is repairable...and you have a rare widebody!

It will be a proud car again ;)

wrinx

Xti
27-12-08, 13:43
Rough life yes, can't imagine why some don't care too much and yes you're perfectly right everything can be done. It's bad shape made me even more determined to do the job. I'll make it proud again, that's the word.;)

Cheers,
Cristian.

Evodelta
27-12-08, 18:54
I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your progress. :smile:

biggie_
27-12-08, 21:48
Keep the good work, i will be watching your progress mate ;-)

arjunior45
28-12-08, 15:47
mine was worst than yours when I've bought it, but it's in better condition now. You can have lot of fun with this car and ... it's just rare enough.
Remove the Q4 badge and you will see many surprised faces if you drive it fast.

Congrats for your decision to give away the 147 and save a wb 155 Q4.

Nick

Xti
28-12-08, 20:20
Keep the good work, i will be watching your progress mate ;-)

Thanks man, I'll update this thread.

mine was worst than yours when I've bought it, but it's in better condition now. You can have lot of fun with this car and ... it's just rare enough.
Remove the Q4 badge and you will see many surprised faces if you drive it fast.

Congrats for your decision to give away the 147 and save a wb 155 Q4.

Nick

Congrats mate for straining to keep another Alfa on the streets were it belongs.
Yes I do have in mind not to keep the Q4 badge.:smoke: Too bad for the cheeky felows.:mad::smile:

Oh, wasn't necessarely my decision...I just want a strong healthy heart. Don't want master to get upset.....;)

Cheers,
Cristian

Xti
28-12-08, 21:27
This car was expecting me at 600 km away from my location, forgot to mention...with blown gasket.:doh: But instead paying for a trailer to have it here I prefered to pay that money for parts, have it fixed and drive it myself back home. Catched up a train and there I was looking forward to meet my mistress. Got there, got her and began our first trip togheter. Everything OK untill she got horny and I had to cool her down. As you can imagine we were loosing water so from 100 km to another I had to cool her down on and on untill we got back home.:mad: After this episode I was the one to be cooled down...(poor english again ?! hope not :redface:). Not to mention again about those brutal engine cuts around 4000 rpm...

I'm not the best mechanic ever not even a mediocre one but I'm lucky to have around some helping hands...

Xti
28-12-08, 22:00
Pics from day one of this project when I've started dissmantling...
I'll let the pictures do the talk. please fell free to ask anything.

Xti
28-12-08, 22:10
more...

Xti
28-12-08, 22:17

Xti
28-12-08, 22:36
So the engine being pulled out got a well deserved shower to get rid of dirt. The next step was to the body workshop...

Xti
28-12-08, 22:55
As the front left wing was damaged and the left rear one was pretty rusted I had to have them replaced so I've bought 4 more wings which it was not easy att all to find around here. But after a deep search I managed to find a WB 155 so we've got wings to fly.

Xti
28-12-08, 23:05
After body workshop session we got back to know eachoter better and do some more... bodywork.:doh: (discovered later some more rust)

Had those rusted sections cutted out and rewelded new ones and then grinded (I hope thats the word), just don't know were those pictures are or maybe missing at all.

Xti
28-12-08, 23:20
After body workshop session (including bodyparts alignment) we've got back to get to know eachoter better.

wrinx
28-12-08, 23:23
That's not REAL rust...try living in the damp and soggy UK :D

Bit of polish and it'll be fine ;)

wrinx

Xti
28-12-08, 23:32
and better...

Xti
28-12-08, 23:34

Xti
28-12-08, 23:55
That's not REAL rust...try living in the damp and soggy UK :D

Bit of polish and it'll be fine ;)

wrinx

Don't know were from so much rust (of course for rear wings rust, guilty must be the condensation), here we have lots and lots of dust, these...beep (:mad:) won't stop digging and building untill they won't find land anymore.:rolleyes: And of course they don't bother to plant some grass.

Yes I believe you wrinx, probably when you see this kind of work you guys ask yourselves what must be under your cars, don't you. Better not because you'd end up like me and it's not necessarely something to envy believe me.:smoke:

Cheers,
Cristian

Xti
29-12-08, 00:25
Just take a short look at my previous post timing.:smoke:

So here are some earlier pictures I've just found now which were taken before the body workshop days. I was up to dissasemble some parts from underbody at that time and also bit of grinding job.

Regarding car's positioning you might see that working conditions are pretty far from proffesionals ones but I think I'll manage. But one day I'll have my own garage were to install an elevator.;) And were to sleep when my wife would have had enough of my long lasting Alfa ours.:roll:

PS: Too bad that a matrimonial bed cannot hold a 155 too. See last picture and try to imagine...:smoke:

The pictures...

Xti
29-12-08, 01:00
After this we've moved to some interior grinding job, pics will speak english better I think.:tongue2:

Now here some pain put put that insulation, square cm by square cm. For some hours my vocabulary became pretty coloured...

The thing is that rust points were present even under the insulation stratum. Due to broken door seals I was enjoying the interior swimmingpool during rainy days.

Xti
29-12-08, 01:21
After interior grinding I had to remove also the rust from rear side panels (behind the rear wings).

PS: Any suggestions/critics to this thread as well as to this project I will apreciate, thank you.

Regards,
Cristian.

Xti
29-12-08, 01:49
Some more rear side panels grinding...and here I am too.
Also got company, Mr. Sparrow the mechanic sharing his thoughts on engine upgrades...

Will update soon I hope.

Cheers,
Cristian.

wrinx
29-12-08, 12:16
A very thorough job!

Hope you remember how it all goes back together :lol:

wrinx

Xti
29-12-08, 15:19
Superficiality is something I find hard to digest. I'll do the job as good as I can.

The Berlina Sportivo forum (and I mean you all guys) means a lot to me because I still have a lot to learn. Very helpful indeed, something very precious.

I hope I'll finish this job before getting too old :tongue2:otherwise I'll do it by the book (technical manual).;) God help me.

Greatings,
Cristian

Xti
29-12-08, 21:01
From pictures sequence I can see that the camera time setting must've been wrongly ajusted (month inverted with day). Did I mentioned about superficiality somewhere? :tongue2:

It was time to remove the old painting from the body (exterior) to be sure that the paint doesn't hide under it any putty or even rust points which might want to come out some later after the painting job.

I used Szuper Kromofag (needed ~ 5 liters) which is non acid- non basic, containing 10% methanol and 85% diclo-metan. It really burns the paint from under and doesn't affect the galvanic stratum (first wanted a sandblast but it was very expensive at it would have damaged the galvanic str). You just have to spray it on or apply with a brush and let it work about 15 minutes on surfaces after that teh paint can be removed (if it won't come down itself).

I was thinking to repaint my Q4 in Rosso Alfa even if I like Proteo too just that I want my 155 to be Rosso Alfa. It will be a full respray (interior/exterior/underbody).

Evodelta
29-12-08, 21:51
I bet you didn't leave it bare for too long!
A great thread, well written, you show some real commitment there. I would change the colour too, you can get the integrale in that colour (called Winner red) and I think it looks horrible.
I nearly wet my pants laughing at the bike in the bed pic, your Mrs is quite nice too! :tasty:

wrinx
29-12-08, 22:41
Hope you're only pouring and not drinking it!

A naked 155...

wrinx

Xti
29-12-08, 23:21
I don't want necessarely to pre-establish some time limit to get this done but I must try really hard to make time a friend of mine. Then there is also kinda budget limit and this bothers me too. Anyway I'd like to have it running this summer.

The main target here for me is to help this 155 Q4 having back it's original (stock) condition but fully restored. Of course I want and certainly try for a little bit more (and here I'm counting so much on your suggestions guys) just that bigger plans at this moment would mean for me hunting too high.

These cars are temperamental and this is a hell of a good reason that we have such respect for them. When I drove it I felt like a good challenge and a friendly invitation at same time. And let's admit it guys, we often like to identify ourselves with our cars. And we can be prooooooud, don't we? ;) Commitment here is something that comes natural and I'm sure you all know that. Thanks for your kind words, Evodelta.

@wrinx

Mate I wouldn't drink it if that solution would make women get naked too.:smoke:

All right...there's a picture with some bodyparts waiting to be prepared for sandpaper polishing...
Today it was really cold at the garage and couldn't work.

Evodelta
30-12-08, 00:35
Suggestions? On what? You seem to be doing ok to me :smoke:

You probably already know, but use an etching primer on bare metal, a 'weld through' primer on seams which are welded together, seam sealer afterwards and a good wax application to the cavities after that, Dinitrol is very good here, but you may have your own kind.

The underseal in the wheel arches and underneath hides rust quite well, I wheeled mine outside and got a blowlamp and scraper on it, it set on fire, so what? I watched it burn, it did the job for me!

Correct preparation is 90% of a good job, don't rush. Sometimes not a good idea to set a time as these projects always take longer than expected. I remember being amazed by how long it took me to put a car back together after my first re-build; Weeks, not the days I thought it would.

Evodelta
30-12-08, 00:39
Today it was really cold at the garage and couldn't work.

I had that problem here too, I spent the day doing paperwork and researching heaters! I am liking the look of a waste oil burner...

Xti
30-12-08, 00:48
As mentioned before I was already had started some underbody work too but not so much. But we were now back in bussines and have the Q4 on two wheels just like Statham did in Transporter. Of course not so good balance as ours, almost 2 month…:doh:

Got removed everything underbody but the two main axles, had no time for levitation…:rolleyes:

First I had to degrease the whole underbody otherwise couldn’t detect for rust points and it was pretty much covered in oily mud. The underbody was only ~ 60% factory sealed so I had to do it better.

And there we go… degreasing the whole underbody and then have removed every inch of old sealant. I prefered not to remove old sealant from where different chassis parts join together trying to avoid wekening'em and the sealant is very thick at those joints (water or condense could not possibly got under it). Of course I had to check some but no rust att all. Btw...the old sealant is kinda orange coloured and it might give the impression of rust but it is not rust.

Next was a complete underbody abrading for a better primer adherence.

I tink I’ll let some pictures to the talk and I’ll be here when you need to ask anything.

Xti
30-12-08, 00:51

Xti
30-12-08, 00:58
Some more...

Xti
30-12-08, 01:03
Got rid of powder from sandpapers, cleaned the underbody again, washed the floor too, got axles dressed in paper and then sprayed first stratum of primer.

Xti
30-12-08, 01:07
The primer already dried we were preparing for a new sealing (insulation if it?s correct to say). First on joints, thicher, all holes and then the rest.

Xti
30-12-08, 01:13
I have this friend of mine, Attila, who really helps me to get the job done. I will give him a champagne or beer shower at finish.:tasty:

Xti
30-12-08, 01:16
Couple of days waiting for the sealant to dry and then sprayed it in red. Do you guys would suggest a different better colour for underbody ? Thanks.

Xti
30-12-08, 01:51
It was now main axles (front and rear) turn to be removed so that I can apply same treatment to surfaces below. We had to loosen the axles, settle the car on something (which turned to be the wheels), have?em removed and then get started again.

I?ve also found few imperfections to already sealed and sprayed surfaces which were placed in blunt angles but they have been taken care of. as you will see from pictures.

Xti
30-12-08, 01:54

Xti
30-12-08, 02:03
This is also the point I?ve reached so far, maybe two or three more hammers here and there and I?m glad that on these free of work days I found some time to share this with you all. It?s not an easy job but satisfactions exceeds the efforts. And looking forward to the final result it makes me even more happy and content.

I must say it again, it would have been much harder for me to start this if Berlina Sportivo forum wasn?t here for us.It really gave me more selfconfidence. Once again congrats to those who made this possible and to those who keep their enthusiasm alive day by day. ?Perche il cuore ha sempre raggione!?

Updates to follow soon I hope.

Many greatings,
Cristian.

Xti
30-12-08, 02:10
I had that problem here too, I spent the day doing paperwork and researching heaters! I am liking the look of a waste oil burner...

Mate, what are you up to? Am I missing something? I might have lost some posts being busy with my 155 Q4 thread, sorry.

Oh, I can't believe what time is it...have to get some rest here.:doh:

Cheers,
Cristian

Xti
30-12-08, 08:53
Mate, what are you up to? Am I missing something? I might have lost some posts being busy with my 155 Q4 thread, sorry.

I must have been tipsy to ask that foolish question. Of course I've read the whole thread just maybe I got my mind stucked whatching such a good work of yours. Congrats again.

[QUOTE=Evodelta;11421]Suggestions? On what? You seem to be doing ok to me :smoke:

You probably already know, but use an etching primer on bare metal, a 'weld through' primer on seams which are welded together, seam sealer afterwards and a good wax application to the cavities after that, Dinitrol is very good here, but you may have your own kind.

The underseal in the wheel arches and underneath hides rust quite well, I wheeled mine outside and got a blowlamp and scraper on it, it set on fire, so what? I watched it burn, it did the job for me!

Correct preparation is 90% of a good job, don't rush. Sometimes not a good idea to set a time as these projects always take longer than expected. I remember being amazed by how long it took me to put a car back together after my first re-build; Weeks, not the days I thought it would.

Any suggestions are welcome, might be better. Just shoot, thanks.

Yes, very important also to wax cavities (here I use a sprayable black tar called "Tectil" in my language) which guarantees a good antipfonary and also anticorrosive body protection. We are lucky to have the 155 Q4s galvanized and due to that it's body shows a good material condition.

Indeed it always takes much more than can be assumed. What was your previous rebuild project/s ? I barely wait to find.

Cheers,
Cristian

wrinx
30-12-08, 13:20
I have this friend of mine, Attila, who really helps me to get the job done. I will give him a champagne or beer shower at finish.:tasty:

He must indeed be a good friend if you're thinking of showering with him :eek:

I'm still impressed...keep the pictures coming :D

You are lucky to have a good shell to start with :cool:

wrinx

Xti
30-12-08, 15:02
I'll nicely ask him to pick up the soap and try to be tender because I might still need him involved in this Q4 project:biggrin:

You mean pictures from that shower? Your patience could be hardly tested then...;)

What do you mean by shell? Sorry...

Cheers,
Cristian

Evodelta
30-12-08, 21:16
Bodyshell. :smile:

Xti
30-12-08, 21:35
Oh I see. It's not perfect but it will be close.

As mentioned before, the interior was far from what I had in mind for my Q4. So one day...surprise ! Got him a Recaro interior.

Sometime earlier I've also bought a new set of coilovers, a Street Kit from d2racing.

wrinx
30-12-08, 22:33
So one day...surprise ! Got him a Recaro interior.

Jack will be jealous....:cry::smile:

I chose the leather route :D

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/arocderbyshire/alfaromeo155/pictures/11_mycars/Q4/251007_LincolnCastle%20012.jpg

wrinx

Xti
30-12-08, 22:52
I used to admire this leather interior often. It must've been pretty expensive to get such a fine one. It looks like new.

wrinx
30-12-08, 23:36
It is in excellent condition, I was lucky to find someone selling it who looks after his cars :cool:

The Recaro interior is sporty and even rarer I think, enjoy it.

wrinx

Xti
31-12-08, 15:50
It is in excellent condition, I was lucky to find someone selling it who looks after his cars :cool:

The Recaro interior is sporty and even rarer I think, enjoy it.

wrinx

Thanks mate, I will... each time I'll ride my Q4.
I wish to you the same with yours.

Cheers,
Cristian

Juan AR155Q4
05-01-09, 18:09
I really admire you!!!
I?d love to have that job done in my car, but I would need another life to have time.

It?s really good to see this kinds of works and better in Q4s!!!
Keep the good work.
Congrats.

Xti
05-01-09, 22:02
Thanks, Juan. It's very kind of you.

Ooh...time is something veeery hard to catch in these days. But finding someone to do this kind of work could be even harder. Besides that, this project it is also some kind of test for me so anyway I have to do it myself. When you like/love what you are doing you'll keep going on.

Cheers,
Cristian

Xti
11-06-09, 23:59
I'm not dead yet :smoke:...even my wife told me that a few times since I've started this project.

Just been very busy but will update the thread as soon as I can.

Cheers.
Cristian

Xti
09-02-10, 21:57
It?s been now more than half a year, shame on me. I won?t bother you with reasons but instead I will try harder to keep this thread posted more than before. I might not have been posting here but never stopped working on project.

So next step was preparing the interior parts of the bodyshell for polishing but first it had to be degreased with diluent to remove mastics and other adhesives rests.

Xti
09-02-10, 22:35
Dry polishing (or abrading?)...by hand.:doh:

Xti
09-02-10, 22:37
On and on...

Xti
09-02-10, 22:44
And again...

Btw, I must say that bodywork can take a looooooot of time. Much much more time than I would ever thought. :mad:

Where to mention that it seems even more if it's so cold outside...

Xti
09-02-10, 23:06
Luggage compartment: degreasing, abrading, treatment against rust (with phosphoric acid) and cleaning after rust was already removed.

Xti
09-02-10, 23:10
Next step: passengers compartment...

AlfaJack
10-02-10, 00:39
I don't like doing body work either. My dad is currently teaching me what he knows as he has prepared the front end of his 1969 Spider for painting. Lots of filler everywhere lol. As soon as the weather improves it is getting some colour. The definitive key to success is not to rush - perhaps that is why me and paint do not get along.

Good luck! :)

Xti
10-02-10, 06:52
Maybe if I would have had money for that, I would have sent my 155 to a bodywork shop for sandblasting. Initially I've been there too just that it seemed to me very expensive and that guy said that sealants cannot be removed. And I wanted to be to the bare metal. Anyway, if it will be to start again something like this in my life I would search for a decent bodyworkshop to sandblast. Not necessarely 'cause I don't like the work (knowing that your car it was entirely cared by you is a real pleasure - but just one time :tongue2:) but because the lack of time.

It would be interesting to have some pictures of your dad's Spider after paiting. Beatiful cars...

Thanks and I wish him good luck too.

Greatings,
Cristian.

arjunior45
10-02-10, 11:28
Do not ever sandblast a car. You lose metal too, not just the paint/sealants.
Try a desent paint remover {I use marine 'Sigma' a lot} and you will see that sealant can be removed as well as the filler too.

Xti
10-02-10, 20:20
I didn't knew that sandblasting takes from metal too, at least not much. But I knew that the copper (galvanized body) would have been removed and that was not something I wanted. So in a way it realy was better my way. Thanks for the "Sigma" tip, mate.

Cheers.

Xti
10-02-10, 20:43
Next step: passengers compartment...

Degreasing, antirust treatment and manually dry abrading (my fingers were bandaged just like M. Jackson's:doh:)

arjunior45
11-02-10, 08:51
I didn't knew that sandblasting takes from metal too, at least not much. But I knew that the copper (galvanized body) would have been removed and that was not something I wanted. So in a way it realy was better my way. Thanks for the "Sigma" tip, mate.

Cheers.

yes, it does takes away metal, and makes crooked the outer metal sheet {that's a worse side effect than the metal removal}.

btw, great work. Gives me corrage to start a project of mine, maybe in spring time.

biggie_
11-02-10, 21:44
OMG, very amazing and hard job mate... I would not be able to do ;)

Xti
12-02-10, 09:31
Anybody should be able to do it, just need some time. And time...

Since I've stated this 2 years ago or so, things have changed for me too. My kids have growned up and need much more attention now, so I've also found out that a family man needs years to do something like this. But I'm "adjusting" myself to newer conditions and I will set my 155 back on the road sometime. And your help guys means a lot to me, it is a real appeasment for me knowing this. Thanks.

Cheers,
Cristian.

Brul(tm)
12-02-10, 11:19
So all there's to it, is time :fp::biggrin:
The last weeks I am running out of time..... :eek:

It's nice to see the progress on your project :smoke:

Since I've stated this 2 years ago or so, things have changed for me too. My kids have growned up and need much more attention now, so I've also found out that a falimy man needs years to do something like this.

This sounds very familiar ;)
If all goes well, in four days from now our youngest addition to the familiy will be born :cool:
http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/d/1;20721;111/st/20100216/dt/6/k/4fb8/preg.png
And already I am experiencing the
little process since the familiy expanded last year ;)

Keep posting your progrees. When I start my project, I'll open a thread for posting progress and share experience too.

Greetings,
Marc

Xti
12-02-10, 20:38
Oooh, you're moving fast too. Very good, congratulations. Good luck to all of you, I'm looking forward to hear the good news. :smile:

I'm glad to hear about your project and I barely wait to find what are you up to. But you have to be aware that this kind of projects are not very much "embraced" by some wives :rolleyes: so this job could not necessarely get along very well with "family bussines". :cry:

Now that you've been foreworned, let's get it started. :smoke:
I could give some recommendations just in case.

Ask again, please ! Married ? Oh, yeah... I'm still married. But the project is not finished yet...:smoke:

Cheers,
Cristian.

Brul(tm)
12-02-10, 21:13
But you have to be aware that this kind of projects are not very much "embraced" by some wives :rolleyes: so this job could not necessarely get along very well with "family bussines". :cry:

That aint the problem over here ;)
The wife also drives a 155 and used to do her own maintenance and small repairs :smoke: We both love the 155 and do organised road trips with the Alfa club. Though we do argue who can drive the 75 at the moment :redface:

Finance might be the only thing that's of influance of the project speed :tapedshut: But time shall tell, I am in no hurry. I'd rather take more time, than a project that's going wrong in the end because of the wrong decisions. But for know, let's wait for the project season to arrive ;)

Greetings,
Marc

Xti
12-02-10, 21:34
Back to work now...

Next phase was anticorrosive treatment, applied by spaying. It has very strong adherence to metal (tested) and it is said that protects for a long time against rust.

But previously, the hole surface had to be perfectly degreased, cleaned, with absolutely no dust or any other powder and of course dry. These are conditions to ensure good adherence to the metal.

All kinds of rests, dust, etc had to be removed from the surfaces after abrading. Everytime. Cavities also had to be cleaned by compressing air. And then again and again cleaning with vacuum cleaner so that no dust remains.

When the surface is perfectly clean it must be degreased so that oil composites and silicon or other adhesives to be completely removed. Pictures...

Xti
12-02-10, 22:08
Surfaces being cleaned, degreased and dryed it was time for applying the anticorrosive treatment. It is done as I said by thinly spraying so that it ensures a complete covering (coating) even the most fine freckles (bores) present in metal. This treatment is in fact about a bicomponent epoxy resin (called Ecophos Hardener by MaxMeyer e.g.).

The treatment must be applied just before degreaser has already dryed so dust will be not present again. It must be covered as complete as possible the whole surface. A protection mask must be used otherwise it is dangerous for health to inhale those gases.

Xti
12-02-10, 22:10

Xti
12-02-10, 22:26
After couple of days I've checked up, the protective mantle was dry and very stick to the metal. I was realy contented with the result.

The doors will be treated sometime later, first had to be removed from the body and prepared separately but not before body alignments were already done. All body adjustments must be done first so the car is prepared for the painting job.

arjunior45
13-02-10, 08:06
you are doing a great job. Very 'professional' and I'm happy to see that an amateur is doing what should be done! Congats.

Are you going to paint the inner parts with red colour? I believe that parts out of sight can be left only with the anticorrosive treatment or at the most with a couple of clear coats on it. It will be easier in the future to see/check these parts.

Xti
14-02-10, 09:24
Thanks for the nice words.

The inner parts are already painted, in fact the whole interior is painted in red. It's just that I have lagged behind with posting to this thread. Been very busy but I will try harder to catch up with the present.

I've never thought about checking the inner parts for possible rust spots 'cause after this job I realy don't expect to see any for the next 15-20 years. Besides this anticorrosive treatment applied to the metal there will be one more treatment applied over the paint and inside cavities (tar antiphonary) which prevents humidity to stay there and "work" to the body.

Cheers.

arjunior45
14-02-10, 10:12
there will be one more treatment applied over the paint and inside cavities (tar antiphonary) which prevents humidity to stay there and "work" to the body.

Cheers.

as long as it is wax based, it is the best thing to do.

I made the same 'treatment' on my GT1300Junior, back in '92, and up today there are no rust point at all.

Keep up the good work.

Xti
01-03-10, 22:25
It was now to finish with the underbody sealing/painting, and to be more specific the sections were the front crossrail and rear axle are placed. (Damn... sometimes I barely can find tehnical terms in english sorry guys if I manage to mix them sometimes :tongue2:). Firstly these two had to stick to the car so I could raise it on its side wheels (amateur job again but worked).

After having the front and rear axles removed it was time to start again with cleaning, degreasing, wire brush abrading, phosphoric acid antirust treatment, wirebrush again, sandpaper manualy abrading and then final degreasing before epoxidic resine spraying and elastic sealant applying. All these were easily and carefully done expecting as always the best result possible for this kind of job.

Bla bla bla.... pictures could speak much better than me I don’t know why I am annoying you with my story-teller or writing „skills”.:doh::biggrin:

Xti
01-03-10, 22:42
"Going under" to see the results...:smoke:

Xti
01-03-10, 22:46
Next level: engine compartment and front wheels housings.

Cheers, guys.
Cristian

1NRO
01-03-10, 23:05
Soon need patchs on your knees :smile: you'll not be able to resist another look underneath, top job.

Xti
04-03-10, 21:01
Engine compartment and front wheels housings: wire brushing, rust removing treatment, then manualy abrading and degreasing.

It really was a hell of a job due to irregular surfaces and their junctions, sections hard to reach, etc.

Xti
04-03-10, 21:02

Xti
04-03-10, 21:20

jimnielsen
05-03-10, 08:46
Great work again - Is this up to the 'present day' with the photos yet?

jim ..

Xti
05-03-10, 09:01
Thanks, Jim.

No, the thread is not yet updated to the 'present day' due to limited time I have here. But will update it as soon as I can.

Greatings,
Cristian.

markgq4
05-03-10, 12:56
superb work xti,
i think you will have one of the "cleanest" Q4`s in the world when you have finished her !!

Xti
05-03-10, 21:31
Thanks, Mark.

I might say that thought crossed my mind too.
But then I asked myself: "Will you really want to throw this thing out on the roads or should you consider to just set it next to your bed?" :doh:

Anyway, it doesn't matter what I think or what I want because the best place were an Alfa should be is on the roads. And everyone of us enjoying the pleasure of driving'em.

And when my 155 Q4 will be ready to get back on the roads, my "cuore sportivo" will be full of joy.

Cheers,
Cristian.

jimnielsen
06-03-10, 07:15
Cristian, I see that you have removed all (and I mean totally all) of the wiring of your Q4. I am interested in this because I am interested in removing all the the wiring in mine as well, except for the wiring that i need for the ECU (with all its sensors etc) and the ABS wiring. That way I could remove a lot of stuff that I don't need - so my question is - as you must have removed the wiring very carefully if you are going to reuse it - can you separate out the wiring like this AND are the ECU and the ABS wiring joined together in any way?

jim.

Xti
06-03-10, 18:42
Hi, Jim.

The wiring was removed (not necessarely carefully :doh:) by an electrician as I'm not very familiar with this chapter. I hope he will remember what is this all about. I must say I can't remember right know if the ECU and/or ABS wiring can be separated from eachother or/and from the rest of wiring. But in the next days when I'll get to the garage I will take a look and let you know.

Greatings,
Cristian.

Xti
07-03-10, 09:34
I have also spent some time taking care of rear wings: manually abrading (dry environment only) of rust spots and phosphoric acid treatment , wire brushing and reabrading after 24h.

Xti
07-03-10, 10:07
It was time to make some sort of list with the parts that imperatively needed to be changed and first in my mind was to check different flexible covers (e.g. ones from axle shafts) and also cheking the integrity of other components (e.g. constant speed joints).

But then again I was bound to a lot of cleaning work as all these were extremely dirty, an old mixture of dust and oil/greaser. :doh:

So let's get it on with cleaning and degreasing with some diesel...

Xti
07-03-10, 10:11

mindus
07-03-10, 13:16
Cristian, I see that you have removed all (and I mean totally all) of the wiring of your Q4. I am interested in this because I am interested in removing all the the wiring in mine as well, except for the wiring that i need for the ECU (with all its sensors etc) and the ABS wiring. That way I could remove a lot of stuff that I don't need - so my question is - as you must have removed the wiring very carefully if you are going to reuse it - can you separate out the wiring like this AND are the ECU and the ABS wiring joined together in any way?

jim.

Jim, ABS wiring is completely separate from the rest, except that it has one connection to ECU wiring (brown/white wire from ABS connected to blue of ECU (see picture attached)

But if you'd want to remove say AC wiring, you would need to 'disassemble' the main wiring and remove the stuff you don't need.

Xti
07-03-10, 17:31
Thanks for your intervention, mindus.
Jim, if my help is still needed (in any case) please let me know.

Cheers guys,
Cristian.

Xti
09-03-10, 21:10
The rear brake calippers were off now, also the inductive sensors. Dirty words often came out of my mouth when a ...beep... screw from rear axle arm wouldn't came out. Twice broken...and they say only the fool makes the same mistake two times :doh::tongue2:

Also checked out the components to see what else is needed to be changed (like brake pistons flexible covers).

Xti
09-03-10, 21:44
Main shaft dissasembled, pretty damaged intermediate flexible support (common problem as you all know).

Xti
09-03-10, 21:46

Xti
09-03-10, 21:56
Brake hoses and their supports removed, phosphoric acid treated to remove rust (looking to change the brake hoses with Goodridge ones).

Xti
09-03-10, 22:06
Oil vapours separator and hoses removed, cleaned and checked. As expected, hoses damaged (of course I haven't found new OEM ones to replace so have to start searching for siliconic ones). Separator also a bit rusted but it will later appear freshly repainted.

AlfaJack
09-03-10, 23:21
Those vapour hoses are horrible. They are of the age where there don't flex...just split. Silicon is the way.

Xti
10-03-10, 19:11
Horrible indeed. That rubber turned into some sort of plastic, being everything but flexible.

Thanks to Gery83 who helped me to find silicone hoses in our area. I owe you couple of beers, Gery.

Greatings,
Cristian.

Q4-Dave
10-03-10, 22:32
looking good :D

arjunior45
11-03-10, 08:41
Horrible indeed. That rubber turned into some sort of plastic, being everything but flexible.

Thanks to Gery83 who helped me to find silicone hoses in our area. I owe you couple of beers, Gery.

Greatings,
Cristian.

did you find silicon hoses with the original curves? Any photo?

Q4-Dave
11-03-10, 20:21
You sure have a lot of patience and I sence a little perfectionist inside, I am so going to do the same to my car as soon as I moved and have my own garage, you encourage us all, as do all of you others who tells us your (cars) story through a thread or similar :smile:

keep up the good work and DO NOT ever SELL that car, you will regret it if you do!

wrinx
11-03-10, 20:25

Mine are the same ans assumed they were pretty hard when new.

Did you just use standard hose?

wrinx

Xti
11-03-10, 22:38
did you find silicon hoses with the original curves? Any photo?

No, they are not curved but straight and very flexible. I will make pics too when I'll get to that chapter but if someone need it faster pls let me know.

You sure have a lot of patience and I sence a little perfectionist inside, I am so going to do the same to my car as soon as I moved and have my own garage, you encourage us all, as do all of you others who tells us your (cars) story through a thread or similar :smile:

keep up the good work and DO NOT ever SELL that car, you will regret it if you do!

Yes Dave, it is truly about lot of patience. I also take all this as a test for me. It depends very much on what does this patience means for someone. I'm taking this project also as a spirit (character) "polishing".

I may be a "perfectionist" like you said, not sure. What I'm sure instead is just that when I'm doing something I want to do it at my best. Always. But I think we all do. I think it is also about little folly (folia in italian) that any passion must have it. It's necessary for the start. In conclusion, it is about many but in the right way/direction I would say. (Wow I never stop talking, do I? Sorry...it's the cuore sportivo who talks now:tongue2:)

I would definitely not want to sell this 155. I don't like to think that way, not at all.

When the main part of this project (the car ready to go) will be completed, I will try to draw a personal conclusion so that everyone who want to start something like this to be awared of it if I may say so. It surely takes some sacrifices, it's true.

Mine are the same ans assumed they were pretty hard when new.

Did you just use standard hose?

wrinx

I'm not sure what do you mean by "standard hose". These silicone hoses I've got are in fact 100mm long each one and I will cut them to fit. Sorry if I have missunderstood your question.

wrinx
12-03-10, 10:01
Sorry, I meant are they special silicone hoses or just straight lengths...so I think you answered the question ;)

wrinx

markgq4
12-03-10, 15:40
No, they are not curved but straight and very flexible. I will make pics too when I'll get to that chapter but if someone need it faster pls let me know.

Yes Dave, it is truly about lot of patience. I also take all this as a test for me. It depends very much on what does this patience means for someone. I'm taking this project also as a spirit (character) "polishing".

I may be a "perfectionist" like you said, not sure. What I'm sure instead is just that when I'm doing something I want to do it at my best. Always. But I think we all do. I think it is also about little folly (folia in italian) that any passion must have it. It's necessary for the start. In conclusion, it is about many but in the right way/direction I would say. (Wow I never stop talking, do I? Sorry...it's the cuore sportivo who talks now:tongue2:)

I would definitely not want to sell this 155. I don't like to think that way, not at all.

i did a similiar "project" with an alfasud ti a couple of years ago and the worst thing i ever did was to sell it at the end because i realised afterwards that i would never do such a thing again !
oh well, live and learn, as they say...

keep up the great work, you know its worth it.

Xti
13-03-10, 22:25
Thanks for sharing this story, I will keep it in my mind.

In the sametime I'm pretty sure it is not the lack of will that would keep you from doing such a thing again but more likely the lack of time. What to mention about these hard days we're living. I often remind me that maybe it wasn't just the right time for me to do this as I have other priorities such as a family with 2 little kids. It is hard but I managed well so far, I don't like to give up that easy. But I don't see myself doing this again for the same reasons above. All things have their time to be done, don't they?

I have to congratulate you for your Sud Ti project and I think that the most important thing is that you have done the job. Must've been a great satisfaction for you.

Xti
05-07-10, 10:52
Hi guys!

As I am now about to mount some of the underbody parts (ducts, supports, etc) I realise how foolish it was from me not to take some pictures before dissmantling. Maybe I was thinking that the tech manual will help but it is not the same. Or was I not thinking at all at that time?

So could you share some of your 155 Q4s underbody pictures if you have any , please? Thank you very much.

I will come back soon with some updates to the thread.

Cheers,
C.

mindus
05-07-10, 21:57
some of the underbody stuff at the rear end mostly.

Xti
05-07-10, 22:20
Thanks a lot, Mindus!

The pictures are very helpful, saving a lot of time for me.

Still don't know how could I forgot about this aspect...:redface: It seems to me like I was soooo confident but there are already more than 2 years now since started this. Never thought it will take so much...:doh:

TAKE PICTURES BEFORE REMOVING PARTS FROM YOUR CARS !!! :smoke: I was very smart...

Thanks again, man.

And thanks in advance to everyone who can share.

Greatings,
C.

mindus
05-07-10, 22:22
one more (of the back) and a fuel rail in the front.

Xti
08-07-10, 11:41
Thanks again, Mindus!

Cheers,
Cristian.

Xti
13-03-11, 13:15
Here we go again, sorry for the long down time.

Degreasing, epoxydic resin (antirust treatment) applied to the front/ rear wings (inside), main shaft, servopump, oil cooler and some other body parts, etc...

Xti
13-03-11, 13:30
next...

Xti
13-03-11, 13:39

Xti
13-03-11, 13:46
and...

Xti
13-03-11, 14:31
Sand-blasting, degreasing, antirust treatment for brake calipers, wheel hub supports, brake dust guards, hand brake parts, shafts, springs, etc etc...

Xti
13-03-11, 14:38

Xti
13-03-11, 14:44
Painting job too...

Xti
13-03-11, 14:52
Few more...

Steve Webb
13-03-11, 14:58
Looks like you have got a load of work done there. Is it all going back together now or do you have more rust removal work to do?

Xti
13-03-11, 15:04
Hi, Steve!
I've done a lot but due to lack of time didn't got much chances to update the thread . And yes, it is all going back together now, thanks.

I'll let the pictures do the "talking", I'm always running out of time lately.

wrinx
13-03-11, 15:14
A huge meccano set! :cool:

wrinx

Xti
13-03-11, 15:15
I wanted everything to be like new, well almost...

Steve Webb
13-03-11, 15:23
A huge meccano set! :cool:

wrinx

My thoughts exactly. I'm hoping for a picture with it all set out around the bare shell before it starts going back together.

Xti
13-03-11, 15:43
Untill now I used to upload pictures with the whole process for every part but I do not have that time anymore now. And to be honest I don't want to remember it, neither boring you guys. Looking back it was also enjoyable but most of time it was hard, nerv streching.

And again...rear axle and front cross member.

Xti
13-03-11, 15:54
My thoughts exactly. I'm hoping for a picture with it all set out around the bare shell before it starts going back together.

Not sure I understand but please let me know if everything is OK here, e.g. loading too much pictures on forum or boring you guys. I hope you to be straight with me, thanks.:wink:

More pics...

Xti
13-03-11, 16:06
Painting...

Xti
13-03-11, 16:20

Xti
13-03-11, 16:25

Xti
13-03-11, 16:39
Rear diff, winter rims (if I'd ever go out on winter with this car...)

Steve Webb
13-03-11, 17:39
Not sure I understand but please let me know if everything is OK here, e.g. loading too much pictures on forum or boring you guys. I hope you to be straight with me, thanks.:wink:

More pics...

Keep posting all the pics so we can see where you are upto rebuilding the car.

I just meant it would have been cool to see a picture like this:

http://static.skynetblogs.be/media/138863/dyn006_original_800_600_jpeg_2639397_afd812d6c9826 1348500e08f98ac8603.jpg

before you start putting it all back together. :thumb:

Xti
13-03-11, 18:35
I see, I must've been missunderstood something.:lipsrsealed:

As for the picture you've posted :lol-052:, my God...sometimes it really is better not to know much or think too much, isn't it?

I do have some pictures took from inside the garage with everything around me (and have more under garage roof) and I still have bad dreams :eek:

Brul(tm)
13-03-11, 19:33
I do have some pictures took from inside the garage with everything around me (and have more under garage roof) and I still have bad dreams :eek:

If I could affort a place like this, you won't be seeing me on the streets anymore :thumbsup:
Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Marc

Steve Webb
13-03-11, 19:50
Its less of a garage, more of a warehouse!!

Jim would have a fit if he had to work in there, we all know how he likes things nice and tidy. :lipsrsealed:

Xti
13-03-11, 21:05
I pay a rent for this garage, it is not the best way but that's it now. I have some plans for the future. Jim's way to do things is so great indeed,. I envy and admire him at the same time.

jimnielsen
13-03-11, 21:12
Great work Xti - loved looking at all the pictures that you posted. Especially the wide shots so we can see the shed! I am amazed at the amount of work that you have put into the Q4 for far. I hope it works out just as you want!

Even though I like to work in a shed with nothing on the floor, i sure ended up with stuff everywhere after i finished my latest engine install (I have cleaned it up now of course..)

jim.

Xti
13-03-11, 22:41
Regarding the time spent on this I am amazed too, Jim. It's been almost 3 years now and I wonder if I could find that time resources ever again. It's true I'd like to do it again with a Montreal sometime in this life.

I have learned much about this kind of job and I'm sure it would get better and better with each project.

At the finish line on this one I will mark some conclusions that might help others not to make mistakes I've made and make their job easier

Cheers,
Cristian.

RMB-Racing
16-03-11, 00:45
Nice to see XTI..:clap:

You have done exactly what my plan is with my Q4.

So thanks for the inspiration! :icon_wink:

Xti
16-03-11, 21:16
Nice to see XTI..:clap:

You have done exactly what my plan is with my Q4.

So thanks for the inspiration! :icon_wink:

Ronnie, it feels good to know that my project could be a source of inspiration or support. It is indeed such a pleasant job if you know how to make it easier for yourself.

Lots of moments when whole this was over my head and had to keep up. But it can be done! Looking forward to see your start. :smile:

Cristian...

1NRO
17-03-11, 19:36
It's true, you are doing a great job, nice attention to detail. I don't know but you look to be on the home straight and it's not far away you get to drive in a true pride and joy.

:clap::clap:

Xti
18-03-11, 07:38
It's true, you are doing a great job, nice attention to detail. I don't know but you look to be on the home straight and it's not far away you get to drive in a true pride and joy.

:clap::clap:

Barely wait to drive it again, 3 years now since the last ride.

Integrale
18-03-11, 21:24
Nice work and nice plase you have. We all need some inspiration and intresting threads like this. Not to many of this around.

Xti
19-03-11, 21:36
Nice work and nice plase you have. We all need some inspiration and intresting threads like this. Not to many of this around.

Thanks.
The true is that a man doesn't have to be crazy to do a job like this. But certainly helps...

Of course not many :loco: around.:wink:

Cheers,
Cristian.