PDA

View Full Version : Unidiag on a Q4

wrinx
15-12-08, 19:08
I downloaded this software ages ago to go with the 156 JTD as it's not covered by other stuff that's around. Has anyone tried it on a Q4...does it work?

wrinx

Brul(tm)
15-12-08, 19:49
On this side of the pond there is a enthousiast who wrote his own diagnostic software. He has no file to diagnose the Q4 yet.
Don't know if we're talking about the same software?

Greetings,
Marc

wrinx
15-12-08, 20:01
The main guy is Sander by the looks of it...

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/UniDiag/

One of the files is called Fiat/lancia_16_

Perhaps works the same??? I need to post on the newsgroup but it's a scary place, full of electronic chat I know nothing about! :doh:

I don't yet know where the diagnostic port is on a Q4 :lol:

wrinx

wrinx
15-12-08, 20:04
Just checked the file, nothing to do with early Fiat/Lancia cars...Delta is 1998.

I can see me getting very confused...!

wrinx

Steve Webb
15-12-08, 21:06
The Second gen Deltas still used the Lampredi engine so could still be relevant. As to a diag port on in/on the Q4, no idea!

kepsus
15-12-08, 22:18
How much diffrent is it from the coupe 16vt ECU i know begbie, sell he's own diag. to the coupe.

kepsus
15-12-08, 22:18
from the fccuk.org

wrinx
15-12-08, 22:40
Interesting, I searched on there earlier and couldn't find any mention of Unidiag :?

I've asked a few questions on the Yahoo Group so we'll see what happens...

wrinx

Brul(tm)
16-12-08, 06:13
The main guy is Sander by the looks of it...

That's the guy :biggrin:
unfortunately the Q4 is not supported. :(

Greetings,
Marc

wrinx
16-12-08, 07:56
Didn't think so, that's a real shame :(

Still need to get it working for the Spider and JTD :cool:

Can't see the Matta being supported either...:roll:

wrinx

wrinx
16-12-08, 07:57
How much diffrent is it from the coupe 16vt ECU i know begbie, sell he's own diag. to the coupe.

I've heard of the Widgets, sold by Barnacle...what's Begbie's called?

wrinx

WhizzMan
16-12-08, 11:33
See my reply there wrinx. Maybe in the future we can set up a session with Sander to do some live testing/diagnostics on the software with a Q4. I think that might help speed up development of the Magneti Marelli protocols for unidiag.

Brul(tm)
16-12-08, 12:11
Maybe in the future we can set up a session with Sander to do some live testing/diagnostics on the software with a Q4. I think that might help speed up development of the Magneti Marelli protocols for unidiag.

I already volunteerd for this ;)

Greetings,
Marc

wrinx
16-12-08, 16:08
I've heard of the Widgets, sold by Barnacle...what's Begbie's called?

wrinx

Widgets might be the way for Q4s for now....

http://www.fccuk.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=689479#Post689479

http://www.fccuk.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=717467&fpart=1

wrinx

wrinx
16-12-08, 16:16
See my reply there wrinx.

Can't see it???

wrinx

Q4Jan
16-12-08, 17:22
Widgets might be the way for Q4s for now....

http://www.fccuk.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=689479#Post689479

http://www.fccuk.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=717467&fpart=1

wrinx

Acces denied, need to be logged in to view the posts....

But here is something visible:
http://www.nailed-barnacle.co.uk/coupe/emu.html

wrinx
16-12-08, 18:27
Sorry didn't realise...

wrinx

Q4Jan
16-12-08, 21:31
How much are they actualy?
That is when he still makes them. :confused:

If cheap enough, maybe have a bunch made with Q4 logo instead of the fiat coupe screen?

wrinx
16-12-08, 21:53
?120 without the Fiat Coupe heater shaped carbon plate, or ?130 with....this includes post to UK and Europe.

wrinx

WhizzMan
16-12-08, 22:24
Mmm it's limited. You can do a readout, then use the documentation to see what it means. No resetting faults or anything. I guess something like this will be the first step to get it running in UniDiag as well.

wrinx
16-12-08, 22:37
No resetting faults or anything.

That's right, it's really just a monitor and fault code reader.

Your post on the Yahoo Group has just appeared, I think I'll wait a while and see what Sanders comes up with...might also have to buy his leads now! :D

wrinx

Evodelta
17-12-08, 06:26
There is no 're-setting of faults' on the Ecu is there? Only that of unplugging it, turning the key or disconnecting the battery......

na15575
17-12-08, 09:23
There is no 're-setting of faults' on the Ecu is there? Only that of unplugging it, turning the key or disconnecting the battery......

Yes as I know the p8 ecu off marrelli has no re-setting of faults
And hasn’t got a memory for faults
This is the massage that gives you the Alfa fiat "examiner" when you try to reset or read the faults

That’s why Widgets, sold by Barnacle is the most useful tool
You can see the fault when it happens
Many times you have fault and the light on dash isn’t red or you can’t see it because it is a very short flash
(Knock sensor, λ etc)
When you read a fault with the diagnostic this is a present fault
And it is still exist as fault
When you fix it then it’s gone
So you are not going to need any special diagnostic equip.
Because you cant use them.
Widgets is the only tool that can help us because it stores the fault and display it
You have it always on monitor the ecu

na15575
17-12-08, 10:00
The Widgets is the best tool I have see
I try to construct it but I haven’t found the monitor
You can only buy it from Vikay min order 50 pieces
Barnacle as I know he has now produced the mkII version
With bigger monitor and most easy to find it
I don’t know if Barnacle wants to produce it for the Q4
Because it is not tried in a Q4 the ecus is the same with coupe 16v
But maybe has a little different.
For example different knock sensor. And this is more jobs for him
I thing it worth to ask from Barnacle to produce it for Q4
Maybe he accept if we are many that want it

wrinx
17-12-08, 12:15
It would certainly be useful....

wrinx

na15575
17-12-08, 22:10
What is your opinion for?
1. make a new thread for Barnacle Widgets to see if there is interest from the people in this forum for that Widgets
2. contact with Barnacle to ask him to make it for as

wrinx
17-12-08, 22:46
I'm interested...but the timing might be bad for me! :redface: I've just ordered a set of cables for Unidiag and now need a laptop for the garage! :redface:

But it's worth polling for wider interest...

wrinx

Q4Jan
19-12-08, 02:36
I would be interested, but we first should check if he would make them.

na15575
20-12-08, 20:32
I would be interested, but we first should check if he would make them.

I have already made a payment to Neil barnacle
And I order one of the mkII the delivery must be last weak of January
Because he is on holiday
the cost is 120? or 132? with out a mounting plate like coupe
so he is sure that Q4 is supported if you want you can do an order via fccuk but you have to be registered
http://www.fccuk.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=717230&fpart=1
or you can email him
I tell him to change the logo but he want risk it
It is a series change on the code

Here is the page from fccuk for those that they are not regist

The latest Mk IV Barnacle Widget is now available for sale. It features the same functionality as previous versions - see the FAQhere - and offers USB connection to a laptop and an improved display screen resolution. It works on 16v NA (not 1.8 versions), 16vT, 20v NA (not VIS engines), and 20vT.

It's fitted to a carbon fibre mounting plate to replace the right-hand side air vent - see here , look towards the bottom of the page - for pictures. If you have a left-hand drive vehicle, the plate is easily modified for the slightly differently shaped cut-out in the fascia.

There are three choices of display colour: - note that on all these, the image will be black(ish) on the LED colour and in daylight they'll all look pretty much black and white because of reflected daylight. In the dark, they'll show the LED colour.

1) Blue/Black: http://img-europe.electrocomponents.com/largeimages/R5327079-99.jpg

2) Green/Black: http://img-europe.electrocomponents.com/largeimages/R5327085-99.jpg

3) White/Black: http://img-europe.electrocomponents.com/largeimages/R5327063-99.jpg

At the moment I can't supply nice boxes for external mounting but if you want to provide your own case I'm happy to provide the unit without the fascia plate at a slight discount.

The price is UKP ?130, including postage to the UK or Europe; for further afield, postage is negotiable. Supplied without a mounting plate, UKP ?120. I can take either a personal sterling cheque (PM me for the name and address), or (preferable) paypal to nailed_barnacle@hotmail.com

If you want one, please indicate below or PM me. I need:
- your name (so I can write it on the envelope) and address
- your engine type (so I can set it correctly before sending it)
- your choice of display (see the FAQ; if you don't specify, you'll get the default choice of revs, air pressure/flow, air and water temperature)
- left or right hand drive (so I can supply a longer cable for left hand drive - default is for right hand drive)
- your choice of display colour (recommended and default is green as it has the highest contrast ratio)
- the money...

The widgets will be built, programmed, tested, and despatched in order of payment received. They're guaranteed to the original purchaser for a year but you'll need to sort out the postage both ways.

Timing: the circuit boards are being etched in Bulgaria and won't be ready for about a fortnight. I haven't yet ordered the mounting plates yet. So I expect nothing to be ready before the new year - particularly since I will be working overseas at least one week and will be on holiday second weekish January.

Legal bit: this offer is from me, Neil Barnes, and the FCCUK does not in any way endorse the widget. The FCCUK has kindly permitted me to use their logo as the initialisation display. You install this device at your own risk - in particular, pay attention to the need for a fused supply to protect your car and its wiring in the case of a fault - and I accept no responsibility for any consequential loss, however caused, other than the replacement cost of the widget.

Neil

Edited by barnacle (29/11/2008 11:46)

wrinx
20-12-08, 21:16
Mmm, bit put off by having a Fiat Coupe splash screen on start up :lol:

Nothing wrong with Fiat you understand, just not right in a Q4 :)

Let us know how you go on ;)

wrinx

na15575
20-12-08, 23:31
yes not right for a Q4
only for 10sec on start up
but never mint
will fix it later sometime
i will let you know how im going

nikos

Q4Jan
07-01-09, 16:49
"MK5 is a development version which is not yet in the wild. It's hardware identical to the MK4 but it offers improved error reporting to a terminal program (text messages rather than the string of numbers delivered by earlier versions) and will talk to a wider range of Fiat/Lancia/Alpha engines, at the cost of the pretty coupe club logo on initialisation.
"
I think i wait for this as i have no problem sacrificing the coupe.

:biggrin:

Q4Jan
08-01-09, 19:41
Just got back email from Neil.
The Mk5 will be some time, but if it ever arrives it should be possible to upgrade.

But as he has no idea when this should arrive i ordered a Mk4.

wrinx
12-01-09, 23:00
Decided to go ahead with the Unidiag anyway....leads arrived today :cool: Laptop bought at Christmas....time to play!

No good for the Q4 but still ok for two of the other cars here :D

wrinx

Q4Jan
13-01-09, 02:55
Decided to go ahead with the Unidiag anyway....leads arrived today :cool: Laptop bought at Christmas....time to play!

No good for the Q4 but still ok for two of the other cars here :D

wrinx

Waiting for the matta readouts than.. :biggrin:

wrinx
13-01-09, 07:14
:lol: You may be waiting some time...

wrinx

WhizzMan
21-01-09, 16:14
I'm sure we can bolt something to the matta that will have shiny leds and talks to the unidiag equipment. Having it connected to the engine is another matter ;)

wrinx
21-01-09, 19:15
I'm sure we can bolt something to the matta that will have shiny leds and talks to the unidiag equipment.

:smoke: Sounds like fun...me like shiny things!

Having it connected to the engine is another matter ;)

...so long as the lights flash and look pretty I'm happy :biggrin::doh:

wrinx

Xti
05-05-09, 15:52
I've read this thread today but as I'm not very familiar with electronics should I understand that so far a diagnose on 155 Q4 can't be made? Sorry and thanks.

Cheers,
Cristian

wrinx
05-05-09, 21:12
Yes, someone recently bought and tried a Barnacle (sorry, I forget who) and it doesn't work :(

I have "Unidiag" and that doesn't work on Q4s, neither does Alfadiag.

Perhaps the only option is Alfa's Examiner???

I think it's because Q4s are a mix of all the Fiat group cars, and not just one :lol:

wrinx

Q4Jan
06-05-09, 02:25
I got a widget. Plus another member here.
Sofar it does *NOT* work. I will only try to switch the K&L lines to check, but not much hope that it will work.

Seems the Q4 is a bit different from a coupe.....:mad:

Neil is a nice chap and offerd a refund without me even putting the pressure on. :biggrin:

No really, very nice guy to talk to.

arjunior45
06-05-09, 08:27
guys, if you want just to check for errors why don't you replace the oem eprom with the one from FIAT Coupe {19403/19404 for 10103/10104 eproms and the one from FIAT Coupe 16VT with IMMO for the 10105 IMMO} and check for errors. Engine starts and you can drive the car like with the oem eprom. Trust me. Evocars chip for 155 Q4 is just a modified FIAT Coupe 16VT chip, if this can assure you. I also use the Coupe eprom for more than 2 months without any problem. The only thing that you can not test with Coupe eprom is the CO trimmer that it is not used on coupes.

After testing you can just switch back to your chip.

Nick