PDA

View Full Version : Brakes - Drilled or grooved?

Steve Webb
06-12-08, 09:43
Following on from Jan's thread about his new big brake kit, what are peoples thoughts on the merits of grooved brakes against drilled.

I know the grooves\holes are there to allow the release of gas formed at the interface of the disk/pad, but which works best? I've also heard that drilled disks are more likely to crack at some point, has anyone got experience of this.

Steve

wrinx
07-12-08, 22:52
No personal experience but I've got major reservations about drilled discs after seeing too many pictures of them with heavy cracking....not for me thanks!

wrinx

Q4Jan
08-12-08, 04:38
Drilled will crack when used heavily.
No personal experience, but the people doing my alfa and the people doing the S2000 both advice against drilled rotors.

So i am glad to have some slotted brembo discs. But i do understand they are not making these anymore in favor of the drilled version.

For my use of the Q4 probably both would be alright. But the S2000 has to go on track for almost 2 hours straight, and the slotted discs on this car are very impressive. (Aftermarket.)

I did see some examples of cracked drilled discs on other peoples cars.

arjunior45
05-02-09, 13:09
I always use brake disks with holes-grooves and it is not only that they allow the release of gas formed at the interface of the disk/pad!
They allow water-rain and dirt to go away faster.
I do not see marks {from dirt} that often and disks does not tend to deform {to become like "8"} so easily.
That's my experiance.

Nick