PDA

View Full Version : Pub quiz

Evodelta
11-10-08, 11:00
The weird and wonderful world of F1.

Back in the day F1 cars ran turbos, over 1000bhp from a 1.5L engine. :eek:

So why was there an extra throttle on the turbo compressor inlet?

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/Deltona_II/Turbos/Turbothrottle1.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/Deltona_II/Turbos/Turbothrottle.jpg

wrinx
11-10-08, 11:12
Greater control of inlet?

I have no idea...

wrinx

arjunior45
11-10-08, 11:51
for a ALS effect maybe, like the extra ICV valve at the WRC cars?

I have no idea too.

Nick

Evodelta
11-10-08, 12:05
You are very close Nick, nothing like the extra ICV though....

Stuntz
11-10-08, 14:08
Instead of blow off valve? So that the tubro dosent force air when you dont want to ?

Evodelta
11-10-08, 17:15
No, not really.

Steve Webb
11-10-08, 17:28
Because its a huge turbo compared to the size of the engine, turbo lag is a big problem, with a throttle on the inlet to the turbo, and the regular throttle closed you close the throttle to the turbo inlet, which keeps the shaft speed of the turbo up as the compressor side of the turbo is now effectively spinning in a partial vacuum.

As its spinning in a partial vacuum it doesn't make (as much) boost but is does keep a high shaft speed. When you go back on the loud pedal you get (almost) instant boost as the turbo is still spooled up.

Close?

Evodelta
11-10-08, 17:41
Correct sir, which prize would you like, the goldfish in the bag or a signed photo of Ant and Dec? :biggrin:

It is an early form of anti-lag.

I hope you didn't cheat!

You can prove the theory with a little test at home, if you can work out how to turn the vacuum cleaner on (:rolleyes:) then do so and block the tube, the fan blades are now in vacuum and the motor will spin up even faster.
I wonder how effective it was/is and whether it is worth trying to copy now? It's many years out of date, but.......

Steve Webb
11-10-08, 17:45
Correct sir, which prize would you like, the goldfish in the bag or a signed photo of Ant and Dec? :biggrin:

It is an early form of anti-lag.

I hope you didn't cheat!

You can prove the theory with a little test at home, if you can work out how to turn the vacuum cleaner on (:rolleyes:) then do so and block the tube, the fan blades are now in vacuum and the motor will spin up even faster.
I wonder how effective it was/is and whether it is worth trying to copy now? It's many years out of date, but.......

I'll take the goldfish ta! And of course I didn't cheat, you posted the pic from a photobucket location not a pukka website.

And as for your theory proof, I prefer to use a hairdrier, that way you get sparks shooting out of the end to add to the drama.