PDA

View Full Version : Oil vapour recovery system

jimnielsen
23-09-08, 10:47
As Iv'e been 'fixing' my coolant leak, I've taken the opportunity to remove the ERG system and the Fuel vapour recovery system (relax, its just a racecar....) It removes a lot of additional hoses and such that I just don't need and makes access to stuff that I do need to keep easier. I am interested in removing the entire oil vapour recovery system and just using an oil "catch can" connected to the top cam cover outlet (as permitted by the rules here.)

Has anyone else done this successfully?

thanks, Jimn~

wrinx
23-09-08, 12:03
I'd think it is a dead easy mod, bit of tubing and a catch tank...although the Q4 already has this, albeit a little more complex.

Guess you'll just have to blank a couple of holes off...

wrinx

Evodelta
23-09-08, 12:27
The OE system is very good, it catches the oil and sends it back to the sump where it should be.....

The only mod I made on my track car was to vent the top off into fresh air via a hose which I ran under the car with a filter on the end rather than it being sucked into the engine by the throttle body. Not very Eco friendly, but then it only goes out a few times a year.

WhizzMan
13-10-08, 10:01
trying to keep the pressure in the engine as low as possible will help the piston-rings seal better. For a naturally aspirated engine it's a no-brainer to keep the vacuum attached for this reason. For a turbo car, especially a modified one, you should consider the amount of blow by from the higher turbopressure. Make sure your engine can either vent much more air into the open, or into your inlet system again. The vacuum should exist compared to the inlet pressure, not to the normal outside atmospheric pressure.