PDA

View Full Version : Con rods

MaxiBoost
16-09-08, 20:05
hello ,
I need good price but strong con rods for my Q4 ,
who is known ?
where can I buy ?

USA brand is preffered ,( for lancia delta 16V or FIAT 16V block )

regards

Evodelta
17-09-08, 12:48
I can sort you out with a set of best quality rods, pistons, crank, anything you like. What kind of torque/bhp output are you looking at? I can get components that will survive 9000rpm+ and 700 bhp if you wish.

MaxiBoost
18-09-08, 06:21
engine has wiseco pistons ,cometic head gasket,walbro pump ,egt (max 850 C) ,afr (wot 10.8) display ,knock display, with all alarm indicators ,
turbo boost max 1 bar ,std con rods ,totally really good condition engine and I use it always syntetic oil . BUT...
3 days ago ,

cylinder 1 con rod is break .
all bearing are good ,
just con rod break than piston 1 is defective and engine block defective .
Im very bad feeling.

Im thinking the future 300 hp power.
normally std cons are is fine under the 300 hp ,isnt it ?
I say now ...NO ..

regards

Brul(tm)
18-09-08, 06:51
I can sort you out with a set of best quality rods, pistons, crank, anything you like. What kind of torque/bhp output are you looking at? I can get components that will survive 9000rpm+ and 700 bhp if you wish.

Is it possible to post some information about this subject? Information about manufactures and the specification of some products? Some do and dont's? I am considering to start to rebuilding my engine. The goal I have is to get around 400BHP. So any information about this subject is very welcome.

Greetings,
Marc

Evodelta
18-09-08, 07:00
Something has gone wrong and it isn't anything to do with BHP, never rate a rod with Bhp.

Things which kill rods, excessive:

Torque

Rpm

Detonation.

Have you got some good pictures?

Wossner pistons are bargain bucket, they may be forged, but are not much better than the originals, they are cheap for a good reason I am afraid.

MaxiBoost
18-09-08, 08:29
Something has gone wrong and it isn't anything to do with BHP, never rate a rod with Bhp.

Things which kill rods, excessive:

Torque

Rpm

Detonation.

Have you got some good pictures?

Wossner pistons are bargain bucket, they may be forged, but are not much better than the originals, they are cheap for a good reason I am afraid.

pistons are wiseco ,
no picture ,Im just look open engine under and close .
first con rod is break ,half part stay on the crank side ,other part on the piston side ,
and piston is stuck ,probably piston hit the valves .

con rod break when I 5000-5500 rpm ,4. gear .

car is now stay on the park,becuse no part I have ,

torque generate BHP ,isnt it ?

and the last ,
I think my car latest power is like ~230 hp
no knock ,detanation ,
maybe age is problem ,con rods std and 1994 model .

Brul(tm)
18-09-08, 12:11

Can you advise a make that are a better choice for the rods, pistons, cams to build the engine with? I don't like the extra costs for the parts, but would like to save me some troubles ahead in the project.

For the cams I had C&B in mind, the street max set.

Greetings,
Marc

Stuntz
18-09-08, 17:38
Sam here what do you advise then? Cps and carillo?

Evodelta
18-09-08, 20:37
We have rods made for us by Cunningham to our own design: http://www.cunninghamrods.com/index.html

And have never had one break yet, or heard of anyone breaking one, they are the best in the business.

The pistons are made by CP again to a unique design available to no-one else. The rod and piston are a matching pair and they are ?1300 here in the UK for a full set of pistons and rods. They are very light which for something that revolves at around 7000rpm is very important, in fact nearly 1.5kg saving in total - 33%

I can arrange for them to be sent straight to you for less money and you can pay the import duty/taxes etc.

Pictures here:

oe as measured by me, no rings or bearings. 1415g

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/Deltona_II/Engine/pistonweights0011.jpg

Ours:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/Deltona_II/Engine/pistonweights0111.jpg

perfect crosshatch

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/Deltona_II/Engine/pistonweights0051.jpg

two pin oilers with tapering chamfer:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/Deltona_II/Engine/pistonweights0071.jpg

Just to give an idea what I was talking about earlier here are some 1:1 comparisons with
internal details of W?ssner and other pistons:

W?ssner: http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/3744/piston1eu4.jpg
High-end: http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/4694/piston4px6.jpg

Direct comparsion: W?ssner / Mid-quality / High-quality:
http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/268/piston2rv9.jpg
http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/4156/piston3rw3.jpg

You can even notice differences in the quality of the coatings.

The cams we sell are outlined in another post in the 'For Sale' section on here. Sorry, but I think the C&B are outdated and a bit mild (I have some) there are far better designs around now. Would you even get 400bhp with the C&B road? I dunno, although everyone has a different route to get the power, many never succeed, some do with an undriveable engine, others fit modern components to get everything.

You will not find better quality engine parts at these prices, pay less and get less it is that simple.

AJ
19-09-08, 07:30
At ?1300 it's pretty reasonable. Is that plus the vat I presume?

What changes have been specified to your design? I don't expect to give away exact details but what benefits will the changes provide?

Evodelta
19-09-08, 09:56
No VAT at the moment as we are a very small and bespoke LTD company, I'm sure as word spreads about the high quality parts available without rip off prices we may be forced to register so now is a good time to buy, rather than later. Small overheads are passed onto the customer, we are not greedy, just enthusiastic and eager to see our products do the job.

Unlike many I can be reasonably open about what we have done, we have increased the rod length, that is why you would have to buy the pistons and rods as a matched set, I can get standard rod lengths made too. We have used an 'I' section as it is the strongest and requires less clearance on the block (H section requires the block to be machined for clearance)

The increase in rod length means less weight in the piston, the further you go from the crank centreline the more important weight savings are, as the piston obviously travels the furthest, fastest (more feet per second) and has to endure more G forces this is where you need the weight saving.
It also gives more dwell at TDC and BDC, this ensures a little more time for the combustion chamber to fill and more time for the piston to compress it, this in turn makes it more efficient, increased efficiency means more power and more economy, the two go hand in hand.

Another bonus is less rod angle, this means less fatigue and we all know what happens when a rod suffers from fatigue.....

Whilst the Lampredi twin-cam was a great engine when it was first developed, it is now some 20yrs old and technology as come on a looooong way in 20 yrs, my message is clear; Why shouldn't we drive such good and characterful cars that get people looking and talking whilst having the power and economy which equals or exceeds that of newer machinery? I won't go into the ecological advantages again here (see another thread for that).
It's not been easy to drag the engine into this more modern environment and make it work, but with some clear thinking and hooking up with some of the worlds best Automotive engineers I believe we are succeeding.

A little modification on every component all add up to one big increase in the end and an even bigger grin on your face when you floor the throttle. :biggrin:

These components we are discussing are far far better than standard, but if you want to go further we do a totally redesigned crank, piston and rod set which will do over 9000rpm, the piston crowns have been totally redesigned and 'mapped' to match the combustion chamber in the head which has been very carefully gasflowed to maximise it. Further details are not publishable I am afraid, but you would dribble if you saw the parts and realised what we have done.
Sadly no pics of this set up apart from the crank as it is still in production and we need to bolt it together and test it first before publishing results.

The valve train is coming together, new springs to NASCAR standard, high lift cams (I already have a set in my track car), new verniers with a unique setting system to take a 25mm belt. Just waiting for the new design of cam buckets with very small shims to reduce weight and increase reliability.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/Deltona_II/Engine/8weightcrank.jpg

AlfaJack
19-09-08, 10:25
:drool::drool::drool: Sorry that's all I have to say..

AJ
19-09-08, 11:15
Some interesting thoughts there and some fancy looking products. I presume the new pistons would require a slight overbore?

What's your company name/website?

BTW I'm sure you know but you can register for VAT before you reach the threshold for which you have to be VAT registered (~60k per annum I believe). For me it is no problem as I'll just claim it back...

arjunior45
19-09-08, 11:21
love this crank. How do you deliver it? Do we need to send you the oem one first?

Nick

Evodelta
19-09-08, 12:25
Some interesting thoughts there and some fancy looking products. I presume the new pistons would require a slight overbore?

What's your company name/website?

BTW I'm sure you know but you can register for VAT before you reach the threshold for which you have to be VAT registered (~60k per annum I believe). For me it is no problem as I'll just claim it back...

You can have the pistons in any size you like, although I would recommend a slight overbore then you can take advantage of our correct technique.
No website as yet, but we are working on it, I've just been pushing stuff out on Fleabay and on forums while we get it sorted.

The VAT threshold is ?68k this year, I cannot see any point in registering until we must, 90 odd percent of customers won't be.
We won't be tax collectors for the government, not unless we have to be. Much better to own several different concerns, then you can spread the turnover between them (IMO).

Evodelta
19-09-08, 12:29
love this crank. How do you deliver it? Do we need to send you the oem one first?

Nick

You can keep your 15yr old crank thankyou. :smile: This is no OE crank with a bit of polish, it's a complete re-design. Take a look at the counter weights - there are 8, two per big end for perfect balance, not just one on one side.

We can deliver by parcel post to anywhere.

cuore_sportivo_155
19-09-08, 13:24
Say i have a technical drawing of a piston I want, could i buy and have made a set through you? it's for my twinspark... can't argue with the tax collector statement... I feel the same way...

MaxiBoost
23-09-08, 12:16
very good products ..

My car at the park now .

it must be stay long time there ,I think
because no money yet .

But, I buy a new weight scale, use for future .
When I found some money ,I tell you.
114gr is very low now .

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h317/maxiboost/cuzdan.jpg

thank you .

Evodelta
23-09-08, 12:34
Sorry for the thread diversion there, I think we got a bit carried away... :tapedshut:

It would be interesting to see some pics of your disaster and find out the cause maybe.

Evodelta
23-09-08, 12:34
Say i have a technical drawing of a piston I want, could i buy and have made a set through you? it's for my twinspark... can't argue with the tax collector statement... I feel the same way...

I'll give it some thought and ask the supplier.